Eating in Bali

katty

Jul 28, 2005
Spain
Hello everybody!
This will be my first time in Bali, and I have some precious information thanks to this forum.
But I find something missing (though I must admit that I've not browsed the whole site yet): what about listing your 3 favorite restaurants in Bali?
Only the best match: great food, beautiful location, good price...
I don't want to lose any MUST eating place in Bali, I don't care if it's a street vendor or a Michelin 5-fork rated restaurant.
Please cooperate with my culinary curiosity!
Thanks and see you soon there...

rhondo

Jun 18, 2005
California
8) I would definitely try Lotus Cafe not to be confused with Lotus Lane. The manager ,"Hans" is a total gentleman and the food is terrific. The view from the resaurant is also exquisite. Not cheap but not expensive. Not to be missed..Bagus

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Now that’s ironic. We just got home from Café Lotus after a wonderful evening with a book publisher, his “girl Friday” (bet you haven’t heard that one in a while) and of course, my boss, my wife, Eri and good friend Hans.

As much as Hans and I are close as friends, I really can’t exaggerate the excellence of Café Lotus. Aside from the awesome view of the façade of the Pura Saraswati, and the lotus pond in front, the menu is exhaustive, and very reasonably priced.

Reservations? A good idea. And while seeming to be a little pretentious, ask for my table, number 13 and be sure to tell Hans that you are a friend of mine. Right now, at lunch and dinner time, it’s packed, so much so that he has to close off the entry ways for anyone else just arriving. Pretentious? NO…it’s only Hans’s practical knowledge that “you can’t please everyone” but you must please all that are there.

maurits

Oct 10, 2004
Belanda
The lotus café is a nice place... the last time I was there was about 8 weeks ago... I had a nice lunch... I can remember last year in Ubud there was a massive cremation preparation going on, and then the lotus café was packed

My top 3 list of restaurants ( in the badung area)

- KuDe Ta - JL oberoi, great view over the ocean, great atmosphere, great italian food...

-Telaga Naga - Jl danau tamblignan, Sanur. Best chinese food there is on Bali, the restaurant is on a nice pond and a gamelan orchestra makes the music...

-The living room - Seminyak, especially for lunch it's great!

Apart from all these restaurants, best food on bali is of course balinese food, which I love eating in warungs...

jill

Jul 30, 2005
Alexandra new zealand
hi katty mine fav is the jazz cafe ubud ,thai restaurant & bar no rum jungle rd or is that jungle rum its a nice res good staff & if you want to you can go upstairs for a massage after all good prices to .but there are soo many good eating places you would need a book to wright them all in keep away from right in kuta as all the cafes there are dear & then charge you tax . if you want a real romantic dinner on the beach there is jimbaran bay very ex on bali prices but just lovley you actully sit on the beach & you choose you fish live then its cooked & served

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Dear katty
I have two answers for you,the first is if anyway possible find a local cook in a private residence (word of mouth) that can cook indonesian food and bring it to your stay ( mostly via motorbike),I do this often when i stay in bali,gives the local women an income. Secondly, all places in bali are great,there is such low tourism there these past few years that many have no customers and need them badly,many times you will be the only one eating in an entire empty eatery.What a shame for those that need to make a living doing this type of work.

Gina Tyler

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi Katty

It's possible you've already come and left Bali, but I'm sure you found many good eating places. If so, we'd all love to know your new-found favourites.

One of mine has to be Arena, in Sanur (on the Ngurah-Rai By-pass, just near McDonald's). Possibly the best value around with excellent food. The owner is a long-time expat from Austria.

Another is a small warung near where I live (also in Sanur). When I say warung, it's actually a bit more than that...looks more like a restaurant, really. It's called Warung Krishna in Jalan Batusari (near the T-junction with Jalan Tirtanadi). Great Balinese dishes, ridiculously cheap, but not open at night (so far).

These are both just very good places for food - no spectacular views and nothing really "fancy".
Enjoy.

:lol:

ariane

Nov 8, 2004
Norway
My favourite restaurant in Lovina is Tropis Club. It opened last year...nice restaurant, friendly and polite staff and delicious food....and of course very cheap. :lol:

Tommy

May 11, 2005
get some nice spicy be guling "to-go" across the street from pasar sanglah in denpasar. not a frequent stop for visitors but hey.. on your way to more fancier resturants in ubud or further away, this could be an intresting meal on the road.