Driver and Car Rental

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Norfolk, VA at the moment
What is a reasonable price to pay for a driver and a car including gas on Bali for one day rental to drive to the different sights on bali? The price is for one day/8-10 hours including vehicle, driver, and gas. Should the price go up the more people you have in the vehicle? Like instead of two couples only one couple. Tell me what you know and give me a good estimate. THANKS

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Waves

I can recommend Made Biru 085237609202 - he charged 250,000 Rph for the day basically as long as you need him. He is 26 and married with two sons from up North but is based in Kuta.

It varies - charges are from 200,000 - 350,000 but wont go necessarily the distance you want to go for the price you want to pay. It depends a lot on kilometers as petrol is expensive.

There are many transport/tour guides to choose from.

Hope this helps.

Tina

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Thanks Tina for the response. I guess I got ripped off last time in Bali because I paid the driver 400,000 RP for his vehicle and as a guide and i dont even think it was more than an 8 hour day. I could have gotten two days worth for what I paid. I guess know I know that $20 USD a day is reasonable for a car and driver and then at the end of the day if he does a good job I will slip him a $5 tip. Only if he does a good job and does not complain like the dude I had last time. Some of these drivers with vehicles are pretty sneaky individuals.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Yes Waves some are sneaky but we have to remember this is how they make their living. No money, no food and some driver might be worth 400,000 a day I know on other forums I have read that 400,000 is not unusual but they are the very best i.e. speak excellent English, new cars etc.

Some drivers do not own their own car so have to hire it and pay the petrol and then get some money for their time.

Remember that when tourists were plenty it did not matter that you did not own your own car, you could hire one and still make an excellent living but now with tourists figures so low they are finding it hard.

It's all relative. Negotiate you price and time before you get in the card and then there are no misunderstandings. :oops:

Tina

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
I think it is a good thing that torist numbers are low.. Maybe it is bad for the Balinese who need our $$$, but people should always have something to fall back on if they dont succeed at the first thing. it is good that there are less visitors to Bali because that means less impact on the environment and less polution, emissions, etc. i am sure most of the expats that live and work in Bali have several things going on that way they have something to falll back on. Anybody who is solely dependent on one source for income is a fool.. I have travelled extensively in africa and was born there as well and I can tell you that there are people living in MUCH worse conditions than even the poorest Balinese. These Africans dont rely on tourists who come to these areas to go on safaris to get money they farm and find other ways to subside. the fact that tourist numbers are down is a good thing because I believe it well help the locals find other ways to be less dependent on foreigners and their money. Nobody should be dependent on foreigners for income.