blightyboy

Feb 10, 2011
Ubud, Bali
Hi all...I'm searching for some very skilled and talented weavers, preferably in Bali but also Java could be an option.

I'm hoping to find weavers with the skills to follow designs which would range from contemporary ikat patterns to more simple stripes, checks and gingham patterns. I've come across a few small workshops and co-operatives where the weavers seem to have skills in particular a particular pattern, but can't seem to transfer these skills to weave just any design. Ideally it would be great to find a set-up which already produces fabrics for a commercial market but I'd be happy just to find some really talented, creative dream weavers! Any help or advice anyone can give would be very, very appreciated! Thanks...

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Gianyar, near Ubud, is the centre of the largest producers of woven cloth in Bali, with dozens of hand-weaving factories. Try Cap Togog, Jalan Astina Utara 11, one of the largest and oldest slave drivers in town, or Cap Cili, on Ciung Wanara 7, own by Pande Wayan Sira. They make all sorts of fabric there. Also, Bakti and Cap Putri Bali weaving centers.

Closer to Ubud, in Pejeng, are the batik studios of Pak Tjok Agung Pemayun, known as Pak Tjok. And of course, there is Sidemen, but I don’t believe they do ikats or batik there, only Songket & Endek?

I would say Gianyar is your best bet: if you can't find what you want there, you'd probably could not make out either in a whore house with a $100 bill.:icon_lol:

Last edited:

blightyboy

Feb 10, 2011
Ubud, Bali
Here's hoping I find what I want there then! Really helpful thank you - will check out the places in Gianyar, sounds like there are some good options there. Thanks again, really appreciated...