Dog Food

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
A week or so I go I saw a man throwing bags out of a bemo. To my surprise the bags were moving. The bags contained dogs. "Where are they for?" I asked. "Potong", was the proud and smiling answer. (To Cut). I swallowed my disgust and thought something about cultural differences, pig farms, cows, and decided to record some of the guys actions. They costed him 40.000 rupiah each he said, Dewi said that he probably stole them. They would be killed in a few days he said, but for the movie he offered to do one now, but I kindly refused. I don't like dog sate.

The Dog Horror movie:

[brl:2im8el1i]http://www.bali-information.com/forumpics/dogmovie.wmv[/brl:2im8el1i]

The other bags you see around contain dogs:

dogs.jpg

G

where was this?? up north in bali or what? who eats dog sate? i've spent most of my time in denpasar and kuta-area and eating dog is unthinkable. very odd.

G

btw, 2 of the dogs look just like balla and yummy... 2 of my girlfriends familys 4 dogs... :cry:

i'd really like to know where the person in the movie lives and where the photos have been taken. isn't it illegal?! if so, i would/will report it to the police and i advice you Bert to do so immediately. :evil:

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
It was in the North, near Singaraja.

As far as I know its done here and there, but you don't see warungs selling dog sate.

I don't know if its illegal.

It is legal. I notice that they are white dogs. White dogs are preferred. According to Balinese Hindus in Ubud (Hindus are appalled by the thought of eating dog), this is a custom of Christians. I met a "Christian" from Singaraja who said she does indeed eat dog sate.

This is common practice in China as well. Apparently these people are unfamiliar with the 40,000 year history that we humans have, being friends of dogs.

Ken

antje

Apr 22, 2004
bali/germany
Hallo Bert,
I'm new her in this forum, so my reply comes 2 months later.

Is it possible that you provide us this photo in your report for our homepage? This cruelty to animals is so terrible here in this country, I cannot believe it.
Antje

Angie

Apr 17, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know about eating dog as being a Christiian custom. I spoke to a local Hindu near Amlapura and he offered to take my friend and I to his village where we could sample dog satay. Of course we declined. I have always wondered where these dogs come from. Are any wandering around without collars fair game or to families breed them specifically for slaughter? I have always accepted it as part of another culture but seeing that photo and movie is shocking. Can we do anything about it other than being disgusted?