Do not accept Bali for what it is.

balibounder1

Jun 21, 2004
Do NOT accept Bali for what it is.

To one of my past posts, a comment was made that was indicative of the “cheap stuff” attitude adopted by so many, to wit, the sanctioning of a practice in one location to make it legitimate in another.
Fraud is fraud, corruption is corruption. Making the remark that this is the state of affairs throughout Asia is worthless, as clearly, if indeed it be so, that in no way condones the practice in Bali or even supports it as a viable monetary system, and yet without that ethic, the point was meaningless.
Accepting a malpractice in any shape or form is commiserate with it’s continued existence, for which you have no complaint. The system of negotiable pricing in Bali is a prime example of this. Some adopt a “fixed price” strategy, but for the remainder, you may barter down to an acceptable price.
For most, you may get 10 – 20%, but little more. Others, bargaining hard, might achieve a third off the price. However, what few off you realise, is that the price of the product is often flexible, according to the type of person displaying interest. It is common, very common indeed, for the Balinese to be offered a reasonable price, but for everybody else, the price ascends, until, if you are Bule ( Caucasion ), then it is highly likely that the price you are initially offered will be FIVE times the price at which they begin to make profit!!!!!
Why does this occur?
Quite simply because, you let it.
You allow yourselves to be “ripped-off” at every turn, by accepting the practice and collapsing under the weight of their argument.
Walking away with a “Look dear, I did really well. I got 30% off!!!”, does not alter the fact that it was worth less than 20% and you’ve just been conned.
Me?
I don’t do it. I won’t do it. I refuse to do it. I will NOT bargain ever. NEVER.
I look at the product. I decide what it is worth and then tell them what I am going to pay for it.
Example, “50,000rp or nothing – what do you want?”
If they start remonstrating and explaining, just walk away. Don’t negotiate. Refuse to accept a corrupt practice. Refuse to condone the “it’s just the way it is in Bali” ethic.
Let them know, that “yes you will” fly all the way to Jakarta to buy that product at a fair price, no matter if it costs you ten times more, because “they” are honest, and you are not.
Now, you might think that this is suicide, but look at it more long term and to a greater extent, and then you will see the Balinese pricing structure collapsing, as fair competition rears it’s wonderful head.
One particular commodity in which I was interested, was way overpriced in Bali, so I flew to Jakarta. Returning with over 20 items, I found to my great delight, that together with the cost of the flight it had only cost be 200,000rp more.
And yet why was I so delighted?
Because, quite simply, I stuck to a principle.
The price ultimately did not matter. Fraud and corruption did.
You fight the system by adopting sanctions based upon principles. Indonesians generally, cannot understand principle; it flies way over their heads. They cannot understand how you can challenge 5000rp in one location, yet spend 300 million rupiah in another without apparently even batting an eyelid; it is completely beyond their reasoning.
That gives you, the tourist, ultimate power to challenge everything based upon principle, the principle that what I am interested in purchasing, I will only purchase at a price I consider to be fair. If not, I will walk away, and never, ever again, return to that establishment.
You see, Bali is a fraud. It portrays itself as “The island of the Gods” and a most beautiful place to visit, when in reality, it is trying to suck you in with it’s sickly, subservient smile, and gently and discreetly disarms you of your incredibly hard earned money, for which your return will be one of deception and deceit, falsehood and a standard of quality that in reality, is so poor, so base, that impact euphoria is all you have left when you return home to the litter free streets, the level pavements, the clean fresh air and the wide open spaces, orderly queues and the ultimate satisfier, honesty.
One Balinese tour guide I recently spoke to, used to work for the “Bule” that took that infamous photo of Tanah Lot bathed in an orange sunset. “Oh, that was eight years ago,” he said, “and I’ve never seen as good a one since”.
So, because of one night, eight years ago, you think Tanah Lot is incredibly beautiful. It is not. It is a crumbly old rock with cheap stuff constructed buildings, accessed via litter strewn streets and a vast array of cheap stuff commodities at highly inflated prices, none of which you need. Herded and cajoled through a got to pay entrance, including the parking, the “one’s that know” arrive via the alternate route and completely free entry. Guess which nationality they are!!!
Deal with it.
A woman in Bedugal was selling a “blue lily”. As is typical of Indonesia, they cannot get anything right. It was not a blue lily, but in fact an Agapanthus, which is not a lily, however falsely alluded to by some. Lillies are from the genus Lillium, and from no other, irrespective of local names. Whatever, she was selling it at 35, 000rp, but said that she could do a special deal for me at 25,000rp. As you might imagine, such “cons” are like water on a duck’s back to me, and I paid it no deliberation. I told her that I would pay 5,000rp, which she refused, beginning then to offer explanations. I walked off, telling my Balinese friend to tell her that my 5,000rp was NOT an offer. It was the price I was going to pay her, or nothing. That’s it.
Now that’s how you should use a “that’s it” in Bali.

Ps – She sold it bye the way, for 5,000rp, so I went back and bought some further stock from her, because she knew, as well as I did, what I would have done had she not, and so do you, don’t you? That’s right. Walked away without it.
There’s only one thing you always need in life, that’s your health. Everything else you can temporarily do without, and for most of it, permanently.
I came across this rather succinct ideology many years ago:
“Anything is only of value by the value apportioned to it by the valuer. In itself, it is valueless until that occurs, and only exists as long as the apportion”.
Same can be said for Bali.

Addendum
Recent news of two dutch tourists who died off Kuta beach, dragged down by the waves.
Aware folk will shrug a yet again “know it” grimace, and others less knowledgeable will raise an eyebrow and imagine, ever hopefully and gullibly, that they were just unlucky.
In reality, the truth is devastatingly incompetent, for, as recent news items demonstrate, there is massive erosion occurring on the east coast of Bali, environmentalists blaming global warming and subjects of similar ilk. What is less well known, is that when the subject of extending the Ngurah Rai Airport runway was first muted, the cheaper option of extending into Kuta Bay, rather than Benoa Bay, was chosen, with no regard to the environmental knock-on effects that this would cause. Resultantly, tidal currents in Kuta Bay have become substantially more dangerous, evidence of which exists in the increased number of fatalities since the runway completion, and the need to import sand from Java by the lorry load, and to use a mechanical digger to raise the beach to road level, to maintain it for the tourists because of erosion. Yes, Kuta beach is a very dangerous location, and whilst the flags would tend to indicate it is safe, it is in fact only mildly safer – not safe. The outgoing tidal currents are extremely powerful, and should any of you have ever had the misfortune to fight against such a phenomena and lived to tell the tale, I am sure you would attest to the fact that the “live in cuckoo land” mentality of the perceived world is far different to reality. In truth, your bodily muscles are insufficiently strong to fight such a current, and once pulled under the yip and yaw of a bucking crest, your fight will be one for oxygen, as rapidly diminishing seconds yield little supply to the aching burn that renders your muscles useless, no matter how big and powerful they are, in fact more so, as bigger muscles need greater oxygen, evident in the fact that in so many events of this type, weaker humans survive, and yet the more confident, experienced and more bodily competent, perish. Attest to the fact that drunken people are less likely to break bones than sober ones, and babies bounce far better than adults.
The Balinese Tourist Board have recently proudly announced that since the October 1st bombings, Bali is now safe.
Well BTB, I have news for you rather than you for us. In recent history, Bali never was safe and has become increasingly less so, not because of the bombs, not because of the pollution or indeed the lack of hygiene, but because of the mindset of the Balinese themselves, who whilst you might think them to be a nice people with their sickly, subservient smile I so often allude to, they are generally speaking selfish and lazy, and are interested in only one thing, that of making more money at any cost. Your welfare is of no consideration to them at all, simply because they have no consideration of each other, less alone you.
Their Hindu masters demand their contributions with psychological pressure or worse, being interested in one thing and one thing only – money, from whatever source, be it theft, bank loan, selling of assets or whatever.
This is what drives the Balinese; what drives them to suck money from whatever source they can, even within their own families. Everything in the Balinese way of life centres around this concept as ordained by the “masters” themselves, and it is you, the tourist, who will suffer at every turn.
I recently had a very prolonged and very intense discussion with a long standing Balinese Hindu, who at one point, in a desperate attempt to defend his religion, said, “But the masters themselves receive no income. Contributions go to their families, not them!”
I wish I could have offered him a pair of short sighted spectacles and rammed them with the lower palm of my hand firmly on the bridge of his nose, just to knock some sense into him.
Now, the Hindu religion itself has as much credence as any other religion on this planet, and if millions of people worldwide wish to practice a whole load of mumbo-jumbo in a self gratifying, brain – washed medium, then so be it, and far be it for me to even begin to criticise something that is, at the end of the day, only a belief, but the manner in which the Hindu religion is manipulated in Bali is fraudulent, and it preys on the weak and the gullible, to the extent that the people themselves are left with no self respect, no worthiness, and see themselves as just “small” people whose lives are meaningless other than to serve their masters. I see so much in their religion today of what the British and the Dutch enforced during their occupations.
Yes, the Balinese are the way they are because of what our ancestors did to them, so the responsibility to change that lies firmly in our laps.
“This is how it is in Bali” is not the way the Balinese want it, but indeed the way they think they want it, because of the psychological, social and political influences of the past. Not accepting Bali for what it is, is taking the responsibility for our prejudice and ignorance of the past.
It is our fault Bali is the way it is, not theirs, and as with Indonesia who invited the west in post WW2, so Bali too has to realise that with that invitation comes all the unwanted baggage too, but they will in the short term never do that, for what they perceive as their way of life, is but a corrupted form of the result of colonialisation, but without the developed management skills of the west.
Bali is corrupt, ill managed, fraudulent and about as close to a leech as you will get, but I wonder just who’s fault that is, and what it will take on your part, the tourist, to change that, because one thing is certain, if you allow Bali to suck you in, to promise you nirvana and to try to satisfy those happy hormones, all you will have left at the end of your journey is what you were offered at the start of it............
Nothing, for that really is the truth behind the apparent glossiness and glitz, the Bintang beer and the thumping sounds, the counterfeit technology and the “well, that’s what we call a Cappuccino” philosophy. None of it is worth anything at all, for at the end of the day, when you hold Bali up to the standards we expect, to the quality we take so for granted in our own countries, what you find is that Bali is left severely wanting, literally because, we ourselves, in the past, cast it aside, left it as a not worthy to proceed with entity, something that really was not worth fighting for, something that seemingly promised so much, yet delivered very little.
And here we are, hundreds of years or decades later, and as we can witness...................nothing has changed. The Balinese do not want to change because they think that it is their way of life. It is not. It is our legacy, and now we don’t like it. They don’t care if it is not straight; they don’t care if it is not level; they don’t care if your food has got chilli in it and it wasn’t mentioned in the menu. Simply put, they don’t care. They don’t care because they have no sense of worth, of worthiness, of being valued, of having anything of value or indeed, apportioning an effort to a result.
And all this is because, that’s how we treated them in the past. That’s how we saw them. We ruled and dominated them, and it penetrated deep into their psyche.
Today, they will still call you “Boss”, and what they revered in us during colonialisation, they use as the role model for the management of their society.
Yes, they may well call you “Boss”, but have no doubt at all, it is they who think they are the bosses. And why shouldn’t they? It’s their island, their country, and they will make you pay for serving them, just as we did to them.

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
Balibounder1. I know the prices of things in Bali. Yet when i an there with a friend (a first timer), and they look to me for direction of a correct price. My answer is always." Do YOU think it is a good price for this, if you do ,buy it. If not walk away.

I wont let on what i think its worth.

That to me is fair trade. If your happy with the price you have bargained then buy it. If not don't.

And don't dare tell me that Balinese don't have a sense of worth. Do you have any Balinese friends?

You call Bali a leech. Have you ever heard of making a living, survival. Buyer beware.

I do read your long post and try to keep it in context. you have tried to balance it a little. But you seem very angry and you have made me angry. lots of love to you.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
To compare negotiating a price with corruption shows serious signs of "missing the point"

And to think that the Balinese are out to revenge the past, and its "our" fault...

Well...

zonobono

Aug 24, 2005
switzerland
A woman in Bedugal was selling a “blue lily”. As is typical of Indonesia, they cannot get anything right

it's lines like the one above that make me wonder why you still live in indonesia? - your post is full of anger...and i wouldn't live in a country which angers me every moment of my daily life.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Davo! Are you serious? You actually read bounder’s latest manifesto? You must be one patient man. I tried, in fact after scrolling down to have a look at what I was going to get into, I put on my chest high fly fishing outfit before wading into those murky waters. Less than half way in, I retreated because, as usual, there was absolutely nothing of worth to be found there.

Ni Luh, if you read this, I have a proposal. How about another poll? It’s been a while since we’ve had one. This one could be how many people read bounder’s last post?

Bounder, since I didn’t read all of your post, I can’t offer many comments, but I can make a suggestion. If you really expect folks to read your unique views and assessment of Bali, try the one subject, one post approach...and PLEASE learn how to format paragraphs.

I can make one comment though, as this quote of yours was where I decided to retreat:

One particular commodity in which I was interested, was way overpriced in Bali, so I flew to Jakarta. Returning with over 20 items, I found to my great delight, that together with the cost of the flight it had only cost be 200,000rp more.

I’m considering submitting that to the annual Darwin Awards under the “Most Absolutely Stupid Things I’ve Read” category. With your logic, I am confident you will be a strong contender. :p :p :p

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Do not accept Bali for what it is.

Roy said:
I’m considering submitting that to the annual Darwin Awards under the “Most Absolutely Stupid Things I’ve Read” category. With your logic, I am confident you will be a strong contender. :p :p :p

Now THIS gave me a real chuckle. :lol: :lol: :p

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
Roy, you dont know what you are talkin about, every australian knows, you need a good set of neck high waders. (we call them in oz) To get past the first brake of seaweed(rubbish).

but after that what happens?

balibounder1 you say so much against Bali. i gather you live there? please tell us what you love about bali. balance you view. why are you there. what made you want to come and live in paradise in the first place.

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
roy to be serious, i dont understand balibounder1, when i got there 3 weeks ago, to smell my bali and fall back in her arms. i dont understand. Sorry everyone to get like that

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Like Roy, I could not be bothered to read all of this post, as I did the last of Bali Bounders.

Like Davo I dont interfere in freinds buying. If they feel they have got a bargain & the local makes a little extra profit, everyone is happy & why not.

I will also add as the owner of a tiny retail business in Lombok that most goods are sold at less then rrp.

I have no problem with this as the the people in the village are hard pressed to pay more. If we did up our prices they would just shop elsewhere where the prices were lower.

If someone can charge a tourist, the right price or even a little more & make a bit more why not? Most items we sell have a mark up of Rp500-1000. You would need to sell an awful lot in oneday to make a decent living.

I dont see charging less for a local more for a tourist as corruption!

A coke in the tourist centres of London costs a lot more than in the residential. Its the same all over!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
In addition, I also know people on the beach that often sell goods for less than they have bought them for because they need the money that day, for rice, food, school fees, bills etc.

Maybe they sell for as few thousand more than someone else you met. But then again maybe they havent had a sale for days.....

So please, when you bargain, please have a think if that 50c-$1 is really worth it. You might actually be costing the seller money!

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
& I thought I liked to read myself type!

I think you should like to make all your purchse' from vending machines, eh BB?
Everything on the up'nup.
Nice sanitary packaging.
-just slide in the old Visa,
& visa/vi...

...mmm,corporate (ala Homer simpson).

So, you are saying coruption is BAD?

As bad as asbestos?

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
BALIBOUNDER...why do you have such an axe to grind with Bali ... I got robbed once in Queens ny and I never went back , which solved my problem . You may want to do the same .Davo you approched the same problem with your friends in a very good way , when Im on vacation I will spend and not think too much about it .

Paul M

Jan 2, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I have just glanced over Balibounders postings and feel almost sorry for him, his conviction in his beliefs is admirable but his determination to prove his point is sad. For one to take time from your life to fly off to Jakarta and then sprout that you have only lost 200,000 RP is a little empty. We can probably assume that the goods were not made in Bali anyway, therefor there is transportation, warehousing, distribution and importantly profit. Are all of the people in this chain thinking of one unreasonable person that should be satisfied? Do we see unbounding wealth throughout Bali? Can Balinese people afford to work for nothing just so Balibounder feels he he has purchased at the price he thinks is right? Does he know the true cost of the goods anyway given all the above variables?

On AIDS, pollution and other gripes he has he might consider that these are usually rife where there is poverty. He may need to reconsider his ill thought out strategy of denying the local economy his money as he is only contributing to the underlying problem. Whether we win or lose in the barter system. it is a bit of fun.........something I don't see in his writings.

With regards to Asbestos, almost every house in Australia built between 1950 and early 80's has asbestos. It is well documenteed that it is safe unless broken open, sawed or drilled. I would be concerned for the workers but not so much being in it's presence.

I will leave you with the thought of a quirky little gift card I found in a shop. It showed a drawing of two prisoners gazing outside from behind the bars of adjoining cells. One gazing serenely upward to the sky and the other forlornely downward to the ground. The scripture read.....

Two men gazing from behind the same bars, one sees mud and the other sees stars.

Which one are you Balibounder?

patatje

Nov 30, 2004
belgium, semarang, bali.....
Some people seem to have way to much free time. What is your aim with postings like that? If you want to upset people then you reached your goal, I think. Why do you stay in Bali? Or is it that you can do things in Bali that you cannot do in your own country? Please get a life. Look at yourself if you're not afraid.
Bargaining is a part of the life in Indonesia, everywhere. As well for Indonesians as for foreigners. Play the game or quit. Obviously you cannot handle the game. And if you pay a little more, what the hell. You know the average wage in Indonesia? How much do you have in your wallet right now? Right. I feel sorry for the people around you. Are there any left?

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I like Balibounders postings. It gives us a chance to discuss another persons thoughts and ideas and if nothing else gives us an opposite point of view from the "I love Bali" type postings that seem to be the only ones presently allowed.

Whilst I have noticed that all the subsequent postings are against (or cannot be bothered with) types I am sure that there is enough intelligent writers who know Bali well to refute with facts etc his points. I have yet to see any to date who have done so especially from a Balinese point of view.

If this is not refuted he will post more of the same. Food for thought?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jimbo writes:

I am sure that there is enough intelligent writers who know Bali well to refute with facts etc his points. I have yet to see any to date who have done so especially from a Balinese point of view.

No doubt about it Jimbo, but I think the most intelligent among those who are capable of refuting bounder's manifestos are also too intelligent to bother reading them! :p

balibounder1

Jun 21, 2004
1 - "Yet when I am there with a friend, I do not let on what it is worth"
Sorry, they may be your friend, but you are NOT theres.
2 - Negotiated corruption is still corruption.
3 - "Why you still live in Indonesia." - I do? One presumption oftewn means there are many more - oops.
4 - "If you expect folks to read your views" - your comments indeed seem to be far more worthless as the number of views to my previous posts seem to have been in there thousands - finger before brain I think, especially as the evidence is on this very board.
5 -
Actually, I cannot be bothered anymore, and that was with just the first four. Often you know folks, insults, even to their mildest degrees, say massive amounts about the people using them. When used after demonstrable ignorance or presumption, it usually renders the exponent worthy of complete desregard.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
balibounder1, why are your views about Bali always so negative? I find it rather odd that practically everyone else here sees Bali in a different light... are all our experiences no valid? Do you really believe that we are all deceiving ourselves or blind to what really goes on in Bali? It would be a very arogant presumption if you do and if you don't then it must be that you bring the worst out of Bali and I would start looking at yourself.

"Sorry, they may be your friend, but you are NOT theres."

I think the you in this case is "you" personally balibounder1, it has nothing to do with the Balinese and from the social skills you have demonstrated here at BEF I have a pretty good idea who it does have to do with.

Lou

Nov 12, 2004
Ubud
BB1, I try to read your posts but because of the way they are formated on my monitor and the age of my eyes, they are just impossible to digest in their entirety. You are eerily reminiscent of a couple on another Bali forum who post 150 mph rants completely in lower case. My offer on one occasion to pay for repair of their shift key went unacknowleged and seemed related to my IP being banned - a regular happening there but I digress. Let's just say that Bert's helpful synopsis of your ruminations on AIDS, pollution et al. were a most welcome contrast to that ghastly board with it's sychophantic members incessently rendering of an hallejuah chorus to the bordeline lunatic proprietor ...very refreshing.

The current topic of your anxiety is, as best I can determine, Bali's usage of a multi level pricing system where visitors, expats, Indonesians, Balinese and those local to a particular community or family each may be charged a different price for the same commodity. To compound this some people with better negotiating skills and/or personal contacts can gain access to pricing not generally available to others in their group.

With all due respect that is a very broad concept of corruption.

In my youth the same pricing setups were commonplace and certainly not illegal in Australia. Consider a company charging differently to the general public, it's shareholders, it's staff, members of fraternal organizations and trade union members (including the Police force). That's an example drawn from the automotive industry i.e big ticket items and big $ differences. Despite that a skilled negotiator from the general public could, with the correct timing, get a better deal than any of the other groups. Actually the Good Samaritan Nuns at my primary school ran a similar scheme at the annual bazaar and I mention that because the price levels were more akin to those of Kuta's sarong selling stall keepers.

Nobody ever told me those kind of thing were corrupt but standards change over time and perhaps these days an advanced society would regard them as such. If so please allow Bali a little more time to catch up as I don't believe the USA is quite there yet.

OTOH if I'm missing something don't hesitate to correct me.