Direct Flights from Russia Soon?

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
Article

An excerpt from the article:
"According to Uno, possible direct flights from Russia to Indonesia are expected to increase the number of Russian tourists visiting the country potentially. Nonetheless, the character of the Russian tourists in question must be kept in mind.

“So that we can attract additional potential tourists from Russia, but of higher quality—those who stay longer and can have a positive impact instead of breaking the law[here in Indonesia],” continued Uno."

I guess there will be quality test that needs to passed before boarding the aircraft.

Who will win race to the bottom - Indonesia, Thailand, or Vietnam?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In fairness I've met scummy tourists from every country and I've had some visit me from Russia that were really very nice and trying their hardest to fit in. Let's hope the later are the trend. I struggle to understand how young men are even able to leave the country.

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
In fairness I've met scummy tourists from every country and I've had some visit me from Russia that were really very nice and trying their hardest to fit in. Let's hope the later are the trend. I struggle to understand how young men are even able to leave the country.
I agree w/ you 100% Markit re: that there are scummy tourist from every country. Unfortunately there are some from certain countries that resist adhering to a host country's laws and fail to practice respectful treatment of the local folks on a larger scale with what I will term as a high level of arrogance that causes the negative perception. At some point we all get lumped into the bule / farang category and get to share in that negative perception.

When host countries knowingly welcome citizens and, in many cases offer generous visa duration terms to the citizens from countries that have a history of bad behavior and breaking the law, it certainly is the host country's prerogative, but it does get a little tiresome listening to the pissing and moaning when there is bad behavior and breaking of laws. When local (Bali) and in many cases national (Thailand) economies have a heavy dependence on tourism and efforts to attract true quality tourists start failing, there is a tendency to, for lack of better words, bottom feed to prop the numbers up.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out over time don't you think?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Costa del Sol : British gangsters
Magaluv : British hooligans
Pattaya : British hooligans 25 years ago. Now pensioners.
Bali : The place I discovered Aussie "culture" (to put it diplomatically..)
I have no problems with Russians here
Of course there will be some bad apples in the lot !

Reactions: Markit

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
Costa del Sol : British gangsters
Magaluv : British hooligans
Pattaya : British hooligans 25 years ago. Now pensioners.
Bali : The place I discovered Aussie "culture" (to put it diplomatically..)
I have no problems with Russians here
Of course there will be some bad apples in the lot !
"I have no problems with Russians here" - nor do I except for the ones breaking the law and-or mistreating the local folks. I feel the same way about citizens of any country doing the same.

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
Whatever the behaviour if direct flights add to the traffic impact and cost of living as just someone living here I can't see it improving things. Rentals are being driven up by Russians and Ukrainians ( shall we call them refugees?) and the southern end of Bali is almost impossible to negotiate if you are travelling from Jimbaran further south. Just about gridlock from around 3 pm to late in the day.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
IMHO Russians + Ukrainians represent only a very minor proportion of the expats living here, so I don't think they are the main cause of trafffic jams and rental increases.
Them digital nomads and other online "performers", bloggers and vloggers are in bigger numbers.
But as the Russians / UKR who are here are not the poor farmer style, they sure have an impact on rental prices.

BTW, the main drag in Sanur (Danau Tamblingan) is closed since 09:00 this morning because of the innogoration of ICon mall.... No Russians involved in that mess !
WTF needs this mammoth thing here ?
Edit : It seems that is a trial to put this street in one way, the other direction you'll have to take the bypas.....Madness !

It's just gonna attract people from elsewhere and disturb us old sleepy pensioner's siesta.

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
IMHO Russians + Ukrainians represent only a very minor proportion of the expats living here, so I don't think they are the main cause of trafffic jams and rental increases.
Them digital nomads and other online "performers", bloggers and vloggers are in bigger numbers.
But as the Russians / UKR who are here are not the poor farmer style, they sure have an impact on rental prices.

BTW, the main drag in Sanur (Danau Tamblingan) is closed since 09:00 this morning because of the innogoration of ICon mall.... No Russians involved in that mess !
Edit : It seems that is a trial to put this street in one way, the other direction you'll have to take the bypas.....Madness !

It's just gonna attract people from elsewhere and disturb us old sleepy pensioner's siesta.
"IMHO Russians + Ukrainians represent only a very minor proportion of the expats living here, so I don't think they are the main cause of trafffic jams and rental increases."

Here is the data for visitors YTD. You're correct, the Russians represent a smaller percentage of visitors. Why do you think they receive a disproportionate amount of negative publicity or criticism?

1717727623648.png

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
. You're correct, the Russians represent a smaller percentage of visitors. Why do you think they receive a disproportionate amount of negative publicity or criticism?
I have an idea.....

Need to go back in history a bit ?

And the over mediatizarion does the rest......same as in the West !

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
I have an idea.....

Need to go back in history a bit ?

And the over mediatizarion does the rest......same as in the West !
or....... perhaps the negative publicity and criticism is warranted as a result of some of the bad apples of the bunch's behavior? I have first hand experience witnessing that behavior from recent trips to Phuket and Hoi An. It's sad and the local folks don't deserve the superior attitude, disrespect, and outright rudeness projected by some, but certainly not all of them.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
or....... perhaps the negative publicity and criticism is warranted as a result of some of the bad apples of the bunch's behavior? I have first hand experience witnessing that behavior from recent trips to Phuket and Hoi An. It's sad and the local folks don't deserve the superior attitude, disrespect, and outright rudeness projected by some, but certainly not all of them.
I can agree with that.
Having dealt a bit with them professionnally (2 times 2 weeks in Moscow) they are.not an easy bunch, specially when drunk....
A bit like a grenade with the safety pin removed !

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023

I daresay you are right. However, my wife is involved in real estate and says it is common to find that up to six or more villa lease may be snapped up by a single Russian for sub letting. She and her colleagues think that Russians have played a significant part in a recent trend that has pushed up rentals by quite a bit.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I
I daresay you are right. However, my wife is involved in real estate and says it is common to find that up to six or more villa lease may be snapped up by a single Russian for sub letting. She and her colleagues think that Russians have played a significant part in a recent trend that has pushed up rentals by quite a bit.
I don't understand, how they can get away with leasing villa's? Don't the authorities watch out for such illegal activities?

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Lit

Little bit more risky !
It's all about risk vs reward !
Yea your right, after so many years of misinformation, and outright lies, it would be hard to change the fears of growing and using a medicinal herb, that has helped people for thousands of years! The corrupt system couldn't tolerate not making a huge profit from the pharmaceutical companies! Feeding us chemicals by the boatload!
People have almost completely lost the knowledge of natural medicine. I am not saying modern medicine is bad, it's just I think natural and modern medicine can both be used, when needed!
But it's OK to start an illegal business under the table, because as you said, many are already doing it!

Reactions: Balifrog

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
But it's OK to start an illegal business under the table, because as you said, many are already doing it!
It's just a little bit illegal....
You know, having worked in several "exotic" countries I have learned to appreciate a certain "flexibility" and the existence of a "legal grey area" .
It often makes life easier than with the unnecessary rigidity of the West !

Reactions: Shadrach

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's just a little bit illegal....
You know, having worked in several "exotic" countries I have learned to appreciate a certain "flexibility" and the existence of a "legal grey area" .
It often makes life easier than with the unnecessary rigidity of the West !
Amen! It's far better to ask (pay for?) forgiveness than to beg for permission.