DANGDUT

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
One is never too old to learn. Please, don't make fun (too much anyway) of the following: I have just discovered Dangdut. :oops:

I certainly do not live a sheltered life, but up to now, although I had heard bits and pieces about this "naughty" dance, a total lack of curiosity on my part about this matter kept me in the dark. For me, the level of "naughtiness" in a dance was characterized by the Balinese joged bungbung, which often requires lot of imagination on the part of the viewer.

My naiveté on this subject was chattered yesterday, when, Googling for information about the sailing vessels owned by an Indonesian company, Baruna, led me to YouTube and Baruna, the Dangdut group, including Susi Puspita and Raywan. Great stuff, and so Indonesian (read Javanese)! :D :D

For all you neophyte on the subject, you can have a look at;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVHn4n5L7aA

peter turner

Jun 3, 2007
uk
after looking at your link i just became an instant fan of "DANGDUT"
.............. should be compulsory on every stage !!

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
A Girl smiling at some times, giving it a shake, and then stopping again with an emotionless look on here face, regaining energy for her next shake. A crowd of Indonesian men, of which half seems in trance, sometimes dancing like crazy.

Yep, thats how it is.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Haha, there are even skankier dangdut girls out there but it's definitely not the most accepted/practiced style of dangdut. Dangdut is probably the most popular genre of music in Indonesia. One can go to any one of many regular dangdut nights in just about any small/medium city in Indonesia and it will be packed! :)

Eman

Jan 18, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Re: RE: DANGDUT

Sergio said:
Haha, there are even skankier dangdut girls out there but it's definitely not the most accepted/practiced style of dangdut. Dangdut is probably the most popular genre of music in Indonesia. One can go to any one of many regular dangdut nights in just about any small/medium city in Indonesia and it will be packed! :)

I've been a Dangdut fan for years...
And I've found several clubs with a "Dangdut night" in Bali and Jakarta.
I even bought a couple CD's last time, and listen to Dangdut at home (but no dancing).

LarsDK

Mar 26, 2007
Denmark
Dangdut is really just indonesian pop music, especially popular with the lower stata of society. The "naughty dancing" wasn't really a big part of it until Inul Daratista came along. Since then everyone has been copying her and taking it to new extremes... :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
For all the many years I spent in Bali, the little of the popular music I was hearing on the radio stations was rather lame. I surely did not spend much time listening to it. Now dangdut, that's something else, at least to me. Itulah musik rakyat jelatanya. Too bad I did not know...

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
It's for sure different the Bali pop. I agree with Lars about the dancing, that's what I was getting at as well. It was never really part of the genre. However, as for it just being Indonesian pop, that may be but it draws its influences from Arabian music. If you listen to the way they sing you'll recognize it right away. Very interesting tone changes and incredibly hard to sing well... and yes, I must say I enjoy good dangdut "now and then" as well. :D

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Oh, and I mean the "naughty dancing" was never really a part of it. Dangdut, however, is definitely part of dangdut and it has it's own style. Dangdut dancing is typically done with your hands in the air with a slight twist in the hips to one side... very pretty when the girls do it actually. :D

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
...and American jazz was directly influenced by the different music styles found in Africa, and so is modern popular western music (at least in Europe), and modern "classical" music has many exemples of such influence.

There has (fortunately) always been cross-pollination in music, and in all the other fine arts. Claude Debussy heard gamelan music for the first time at the Paris Expo in 1889, and it (the gamelan music) certainly found its way in several of his works in the following years.

I would add that Dangdut has not only Arabic influence (any idiot can hear it) but also Hip-hop, Indian, and R&B influences. But the systhesis of all these genres has produced a new type of music that is typical of Java.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
oh yeh shake it!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OzJms13W2zY

talkin about indo music, have any of you ever seen this dude Bob Tutupoly.. omg.. sorry, it drives me nuts.. everytime my inlaws come over (which is usually 2-3 months at a time), they bring videos of his show (i think he's got some sunday night music show there on rcti)... it's basically indo caberet with om's and dante's dancin really really badly.. it's funny at first and torturous after 10 mins..

ct

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
it's called tembang kenangan.. it should be called 'bunuh aku sekarang!'..

ok.. my wife likes this song (god knows why).. she says this version is too slow... but it's the same song.. the lyrics are typical... quite funny - telling a story, but far to literally...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zSVb-bEI3fo

thi dude is good
http://youtube.com/watch?v=31opIP1czGM

and i always dug this song... the best indo song i've heard.. it's a bit soppy (and a bit backstreet boyzie), but i'm a fan... cerita cinta:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jwdq5pPRt4U

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thanks, Balilife, for contributing to my ongoing musical education. That dude is indeed pathetic, and the ensuing different videos are, well...a disaster. But in the process, I've learned about Bengawan Solo. :roll:

I honestly feel for you if this is the type of videos you are being exposed to, for months at a time, by your visiting relatives. In the US, in any judicial court, it would be considered as "cruel and unusual treatment," and therefore against the law. :lol:

Jay Elle

Mar 3, 2006
Italy
I have been a Dangdut fan for some time and have managed to build up a small collection of Dangdut music. Besides the more traditional songs I recently found an unusual "modern" version of Dangdut on i-tunes.The disc is called "Creative Dangdut" by a singer called Rere. You should try it. It's different and interesting. By the way, I have been searching for Rita Sugiarto singing "Asmara " I heard it often on internet radio but have been unable to track it down . Can anybody help?
Jay Elle

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
hi there tin..

no-no.. just to clarify - i found the bule singing bengawan solo on youtube.. my in-laws subject me to bob tutupoli - he's the dude with the indo music show.. i couldn't find his show 'tembang kenangan' on you tube but here's a video of the guy that hosts is (tutupoli) - and yes, the show is as bad as this videoclip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ftLCjoLK8Y

ct