Cyclone Glenda headed towards Bali?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
At 8:30 this morning there was a news report ( Metro TV), that Cyclone Glenda, the one that just kicked the "you know what" out of northwestern Austalia, is headed for Bali.

Then I found this article in today's issue of the Jakarta Post:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnat ... D02&irec=3

When Glenda hit OZ, it was a category 4 storm. Finding reliable weather reports, storm tracking etc. is not easy for these parts of the world.

Anyone out there with the "real scoop" on this?

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
well i cleared the beer bottles out the way for this (to get to the key board).

there is no way in hell a cyclone will travel north.

and as bert would say "thats it"

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
Well you got me there Roy.

as far as i know most cyclones move in a southerly north direction.

the tears down my face say so. lol

i will stand corrected my friend.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Davo, a question. North of the equator, hurricanes and typhoons spin counter-clockwise. Below the equator, do they spin clock-wise?

Normally, hurricanes (north of the equator) seldom track in a southerly direction, but there have been exceptions, like the famous one in Florida two or so years ago (can't remember its name), that tracked west across Florida, hit the Gulf coast, then turned around (southerly) and came back and hit Florida again! That was the year that Florida was hit by no less than five major hurricanes in one season.

Global warming?

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
hmmm didnt consider the northern hem.

lived a sheltered life i suppose. but of course roy it must be like that.

like water down a wash basen.

must go the other way. remindes me of a song. "i come from a land down under" . silly australian. sorry mate

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Glenda seems to have lost its strength...

On march 31st there was a sudden change of weather on the coast of North of Bali with mild tropical storm characteristics.

Took an hour or something and then lost strength.

Just a lot of thunder rain and wind.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Funny, isn't it, how multiple sources, all deemed reliable, can each come up with totally opposite reports? :shock:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Cyclone Glenda headed towards Bali?

Roy said:
Funny, isn't it, how multiple sources, all deemed reliable, can each come up with totally opposite reports? :shock:
Even within the same article! :shock:

Antara said:
Denpasar`s Meteorology and Geophysics Office (BMG) here on Saturday asked residents of Bali to be on alert to the possibility the resort island will be hit by tropical cyclone Glenda.
"Cyclone Glenda is expected to come following building pressure in the north west of Australian waters," Sutrisno, a spokesman of the Denpasar BMG said.
Antara said:
Australian authorities said the category four cyclone, one below the maximum grade, stalled briefly as it crossed the coastline but was expected to continue south.
Hmmm.... :roll:

Lou

Nov 12, 2004
Ubud
Best way I know of to keep an eye on the weather is to check one of the satellites a couple of times each day. You soon get a feel for the patterns. Yahoo is actually pretty good as they update every hour but don't get fooled into using the Asia region if wanting to see what's going on for Indonesia. It's covered by the Australia map and, as I guess Bert doesn't mind Yahoo links being inserted, here it is ...

http://weather.yahoo.com/img/aus_sat_440_mdy_y.html

Glenda, or it's remnants, is the large low pressure system in the Indian Ocean between Bali and Wests Australia. Just use any map of Indonesia and you'll be able to spot where Bali is. Notice the intense area already appears to be heading back to WA again.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

Roy said:
Davo, a question. North of the equator, hurricanes and typhoons spin counter-clockwise. Below the equator, do they spin clock-wise?
According to Wikipedia:
The wind flows around a large cyclone is anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere, due to the Coriolis effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone

From Emergency Management Australia's site under the section "Cyclone Hazards and Disasters":
In the southern hemisphere, in a ‘low’, the winds spiral in a clockwise direction towards its (sic) centre, where they rise and spill over in an outward flow at high altitude.
http://www.csu.edu.au/faculty/health/ae ... pter_7.htm

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
due to the Coriolis effect.

Thanks Mats. For years I obsessed why the water spun in an opposite direction when I flushed my toilet. :?

Ever notice on an airplane the water doesn't spin at all? It just gets violently sucked straight down. Must be something to do with the plane's navigation system. :)

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

Roy said:
due to the Coriolis effect.
Thanks Mats. For years I obsessed why the water spun in an opposite direction when I flushed my toilet. :?
Roy, if you read further on the Wikipedia site, the Coriolis effect is described in great detail (but you'd have to be a physics whiz to understand most of it :roll: )
Draining bathtubs/toilets
A popular misconception is that the Coriolis effect determines the direction in which bathtubs or toilets drain, and whether water always drains in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere. The Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than other random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the sink, toilet, or tub; whether it is flat or tilted; and the direction in which water was initially added to it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_e ... .2Ftoilets

Further investigation revealed this:
Why do teachers claim that a draining sink reflects the rotation of the Earth?
A surprisingly large number of my undergraduate students tell me that their high-school teachers told them that sinks drain in opposite directions in the two hemispheres owing to the rotation of the Earth. Why would a teacher offer such garbage to students when it is so easy to check. A trip to the school washroom (let alone the ones at home) will reveal drainage in both directions (which would certainly require the equator to assume a tortuous track through the countryside).

Is knowledge just a bunch of abstractions to be memorized with no recourse to the relevance of everyday experience?

Sigh... I don’t know why teachers do this. I can but assume that those who do so just never feel any need to wash their hands --- or their minds.

And this:
But, the Coriolis force is very small, indeed.
....The Coriolis force is so small, that it plays no role in determining the direction of rotation of a draining sink anymore than it does the direction of a spinning CD.
http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
I recall when I was a kid the way I remembered which way cyclones and hurricanes went was I thought of a hurricane as an 'anti-cyclone', so it was anti-clockwise, and therefore cyclones were clockwise.

I lived in Karratha (the major town that looked to be in the path of Glenda) for a couple of years as a kid, and cyclones were a regular, slightly exciting, event. For one thing they brought rain - about the only time it ever did rain. And more importantly we got a day off school :)

Cyclones on this side of Australia (I'm from the West) track south down the coast and come across an awful lot at Mardie. Those poor buggers get wiped out on a regular basis. Something to do with the lay of the land etc. Glenda crossed at Mardie.

While I can recall cyclones circling around a bit, it has never been more than a few hundred km's - I seriously doubt that a cyclone could travel 1000kms north to Bali when it is already close to the WA coast.

The most unusual one was Alby, which traveled down the coast all the way to Perth and crossed just south of Perth. That is a long, long way south for a tropical cyclone. Usually it would have either crossed the coast in the north and/or turned into a tropical low well before getting to Perth. But it was only a category 2, so really no worse than a big winter storm. I suppose it would be like a hurricane getting all the way to New York??

On the east coast, like Mardie in the West, Innisfail is in 'cyclone alley' - it gets more than it's fair share of cyclones crossing there. That's the town that was devestated couple of weeks ago.

Anyway it was good that Glenda didn't cause to much damage, crossing in a fairly unpopulated area. Worrying to get two of the biggest cyclones on record just a couple of weeks apart, and on different coasts.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yes, it does seem you guys were getting unfairly hammered by the weather gods, but then again, it could be karma for your very bad behavior of recent weeks! :p

PS....that's not my original thought, actually, it was expressed by a great guy from Taz that I met yesterday at the Fly Cafe.