Crackdown on Rogue Bali Police Officers

swisshawaiian

Jul 23, 2006
Canggu-Pererenan, Bali
A few days ago I was reading an artice in "The Bali Times" about the Police chief announcing that a new policy is being implemented in order to fight corrupted Police officers extorting money from tourists and expats. Supposedly they will be fired on the spot "without excuses" (if found they extort money) as the rogue officers are hurting the island's image at home and abroad. The police department set up a special 24-hour tourist police hotline which is 0361-224-111. Calls to that number reach the Police Headquaters and English-speaking officers are standing by to assist tourists and expats who are being ripped off from rogue officers. As I was reading this article I stored the hotline number in my mobile phone.

The very next day (yesterday) I was driving my car when two police officers signaled me to pull over. It was quite obvious that they chose me because I was a bule... Anyway, that's nothing new. I tried to be friendly and smiled, but the police officers were very serious and rather "cold".
Unfortunately I still don't have an International Driver's License, which is my fault, so I knew that I would be fined for that. On top of that they told me that I was overtaking (motorbikes) without using the blinker...??? They asked for a total of Rp200'000. "You can pay here!", they eagerly advised me. When I asked them if I could go to court in Denpasar, they weren't very happy and, rather than starting with the usual bargaining, told me that if I didn't pay the fine right then, they would have to keep my car registration documents for security! I then told them that I was going to make a phone call and as I was dialing the tourist police hotline number, the officer asked: "Who are you calling?". I gave him a smart-ass reply: "The Police Headquarters!". He was looking perplexed and in disbelief. The person answering the call didn't speak any English so he passed me on to another officer who was fluent. He asked me about my location and the name of the officer. As I was reading the officers' name aloud from his name tag, the officer in front of me was getting very nervous. The officer from the Headquarters told me that they are not allowed to keep my car registration and of course they shouldn't ask for money. I then handed over my mobile to the officer in front of me. I felt very good having taken power away from this police officer by just calling this hotline number. I was actually surprised that it worked. After a minute or so I was handed back the phone and the officer on the other line told me: "Don't worry sir, everything is okay now. Just don't pay any money to the officer. You can go now.". When I hung up the phone, I smiled in triumph and I could sense the officer boiling inside after having lost face. I took my documents, said goodbye, walked to my car and drove off. I wasn't even given a fine to show up at court in Denpasar!

I know that I could have been legally fined for not having an International Drivers' License, and I will try to get a Indonesian Lincense ASAP. I just wanted to share my story with fellow expats and hope this will help in future incidents. Good luck!

Tony

Aug 24, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
This action by the chief is good news and long overdue. I have had this experience both when driving with my Balinese partner and when alone on my motorbike. A couple of years ago, I started pulling out a pen and paper whenever I was stopped and making a dramatic show of leaning over very close to the officer in question to be most obvious that I was writing down his name and information from his badge. When asked what I was doing, I would smile and reply that I was preparing to make a formal report & complaint. Everytime I do this, without exception, I am grudgingly waved on without paying.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Hey Swiss, thanks for sharing your story! Yes it's very bad of you to drive around without Int or Indo driving licence, but it's excellent news about that hotline number though!! I will definitely keep it for future use! :lol:

I'm Indonesian who have lived in UK for 20 yrs but have always been very ashamed of this corruption culture within my own society even when still living there! Now with our plan to move there complete with my bule husband & kids, extortion of money by officials is one of the things that worries me! :(

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
Thanks Swiss for your story, when we are stopped my driver always tells them he will pay the fine at the court. The other day, he told them he would phone his uncle who was a brigadier and tell him about the problem. They let us go!
At last we are getting something done about this.

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
Gedday Swiss

If what you are saying is right then this has to be without a doubt the greatest step forward for tourism in Bali so far.

I don't know of anyone who has driven in Bali without be confronted by one these assholes. It's gotta be the single most annoying aspect of being there.

I reckon I would have forked out over 2 million Rp in my various stays. We surf and we pay (boards on the roof are illegal but mum dad and 2 little ones on a motorbike isn't .. bizarre). I have not met one of these idiot coppers apart from the ones on the way to Ulu's who is half reasonable.

Can you give this number Swiss is quoting Roy / Sunarian / Bert / anyone in Bali and check it out?

Cheers

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
This police hot line number is almost unreal. But it has already been tested, and no doubt will be again, intensively, in the very near future. I hope it becomes a permanent fixture of the Bali police. Personally, I have had nothing to complain about dealing with the Balinese police across the Island. Lucky of me? Based on all the horror stories I’ve ever heard on the subject, I would say so. Of course, I am hardly ever in Kuta, and practically never in the Krobokan/Canggu area, which seem to be the favorite rogue police’s “haunting” grounds.

My wife, Marsha, taught me to drive a motorcycle, back in 1987, so I could roam freely in Bali. She is quite an expert, having driven a motorcycle since she was 14 years-old (“Wow, she must be far by now!” Badaboom…), so I had a good, if somewhat not so easy at times, teacher. But, I still hardly drive her motorcycle in the US, as I really do not feel comfortable on the US roads. Anyway, in Bali I have been stopped only twice, and a third time, in Ubud, in front of Monkey Forest, when I then ran (or rather drove) away fast from the police (not a smart thing to do) :( , but they never caught me (and that's another story).

I can remember precisely each time I got stopped, because it only happened twice. On the Bali highways, I have found repeatedly that whenever I met with a police barrage, I would invariably be waved through, while the poor Balinese are being extorted. Except for one time, near Manggis, on the main road. I immediately whipped out my int’l license + US driver license (the fine print on the int’l license states that BOTH licenses must be carried), and cycle registration. We talked for some 15 minutes on the side of the road, as it was obvious this had been the police officer’s intensions, and nothing else.

The second time was my fault, and took place at the intersection of the by-pass and Danau Tamblingan. I was coming from my office, in Sanur, on my way home to Nyuh Kuning, like I did almost each day. So the routine was ingrained in my brain. However, that particular day, I broke the routine and stopped at the pharma, just near the corner, and when I got back on the Tiger, I forgot to put on my helmet. As I entered the by-pass, I was immediately stopped by one single policeman. He waved me over the side of the road, and pointed out my violation of a basic rule (at least for bules). You know the rest of the routine, except that, for (totally, unpremeditated) reasons still unexplained to this day, I decided to thanks the officer for his sharp eye, and for stopping me, thus maybe saving my life, should have I had an accident between here and Ubud. We went around in circle for at least 15 – 20 minutes (he interrupted our dialog once to collect a “contribution,” who knows why, from a young Balinese girl who had stopped at the nearby red light). He talked to me about some fee, going to the police station, etc, and at time became somewhat threatening with the hammer of the law…and somehow, each time, I was able to bring him back to the fact of how grateful I was to him for his awareness of my mistake, which could have had dear consequences for me on the way home. Eventually, I guess I wore him down, and he wished me a good trip back to the US (I was returning to the US the next day, and had told him so). In retrospect, what impressed most about my behavior that day, was how fluent my bahasa Indonesia had been… :lol:

PS. As for my “Monkey Forest” incident, it will be better recounted in front of a martini at Nuri’s than on this forum. :)

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Irma

Yes I know that is why I asked for someone local to call the number he is quoting and sus it out.

Like science I think you need to replicate this before coming to the conclusion that system is working.

I'm sure if Roy gets on the blower to this tourist freindly police hotline we will get the full report in triplicate!

Go Roy

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
For Dasha and everybody else,

I found Swisshawaiin's post very interesting and thank him for bringing this "new development" to our notice. My Indonesian wife's reaction, when I told her, was one of disbelief. I have to admit that I started becoming skeptical myself so decided the call the number (0361) 224-111 to see what would happen. I talked to a very polite and friendly officer and told him I was only checking the veracity of the number and had nothing actually to report. I apologised for wasting his time. He was very nice about it.

The next thing that occurs to me is whilst this new "service" will be a boon for expats and bule tourists, I wonder if harrassed Balinese have a similar number that they can call?

:D

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Thank you Sanurian, for putting everyone's mind at rest. 8)

Dasha said:
Yes I know that is why I asked for someone local to call the number he is quoting and sus it out.
Dasha, Swisshawaiian IS a local (check the Indonesian IP) and according to his/her profile, is located in Canggu-Pererenan.
:roll:

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Re: RE: Crackdown on Rogue Bali Police Officers

Dasha said:
boards on the roof are illegal but mum dad and 2 little ones on a motorbike isn't
Sorry to go a little off topic here (I guess it some what relavant) but is this correct? Are boards strapped on the roof illegal? :shock:

Mum, dad and 2 little ones on a motorbike is crazy I know, however, I would imagine it is in illegal but that it is just not enforce it.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I have seen six yes six people on a 125cc motorbike including a babe in arms.

Child sat on the handlebars, Father driving, mother and baby and two children 5 or 6 years old. The mother was sat side saddle.

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Yer goodonya Sanurian. I knew somebody could shed a bit more light on it for me.

Mats I saw that the IP address comes from Canggu… how could I not notice it. It’s been one of my favorite right handers for years.

Serg, surfboards strapped onto the roof of the car correctly and safely are permitted in pretty much all countries in the world right?

The Balinese cops pull up surfers and “book” them for having surfboards on the roof. Ridiculous isn’t it. It’s a condition my sons have also inherited, now that they are old enough to take themselves to the Bukit. Like the old man, they too fork out too.

I’ve paid out many times going to and from all the main breaks, more times than I can remember. On our 1st trip and as a much younger family in 93, they literally fleeced us .

I must admit I’ve become very good at working out how not to pay up. Just become the very straight dumb surf tourist who takes too much of their time getting the hang of what they are asking for…. That’s another story.

And so I am pretty passionate about knowing weather this number is for real. Cos if it is and it is ongoing, then a lot of surfers will be pleased to know that they can get around without any drama - Copwise.
Wouldn’t be surprised if it was front page news on Tracks surf mag.

Be interesting also to know weather the locals can also get access to the same “great service”.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Well, this sounds just like an improvement from a touristy point of view, but I don’t know if I would be delighted if being an expat in this case.
I don’t wanne bother anybody with my experiences with police on Bali, every Bule driving there will have to tell something about, once I was stopped/ fined 4 times in 36 hours and I felt a kind of pissed off then, annoying yes, but also had a good laugh after I paid the last fine to a police men (the first Balinese I’ve seen sweating at night, but that’s another story).

Stop corruption?
Yes, this should be stopped of course, but I doubt that a phone number will do the job, maybe the first step should be to pay these guys a decent salary, a salary which enables them to feed their families and make a life!
For a tourist this might be an improvement, but I have seen first hand in Thailand many times, how this could affect the daily life of expats with business and there are lots of opportunities to drag out money of them for the local police!

While in Thailand a local police officer will hold the motorbike for the completely drunk Farang tourist, almost not even able to walk anymore, help him to start it and drive away on the wrong side of the street, without a helmet of course (the guy was me), the same police officer will kill every business for hours in the bar of an expat due a drug raid ( funny that none of the guests was checked, but a drug raid every night and the bar owner had to switch off music and was not allowed to sell one drink for three hours, so almost every guest was leaving !)

For expats on Bali, let’s say many of them are doing more or less illegal business, if I were an expat I would pay the 50 k fine with a mintha ma’af and a smile (for whatever, wrong colour of the bike, ugly sunglasses, stopping at red light, using the horn …), but I would become concerned when police will lose this source of “income” and will stir in my business things!

Best regards
Thorsten

nayusari

Oct 9, 2006
Spokane, WA & Denpasar, Bali
Swisshawaiian,

I'm an Indonesian who married to an American. Went to school there, worked for awhile and as I planned to return home permanently, I met my husband. Now that we have a daughter, we share few months here and few months there back and forth until further decision (hopefully we can reside here permanently).

Even for me, this extortion of money is an absolute shame. The news you brought up in the forum is by far the best news and the best article in this forum. Currently, I'm in Bali with my daughter and I can drive around or ride motorcycle with peace in my mind. I will definitely store the number on my cell and spread it out to others.

Thanks a lot for sharing!! And thanks to those who started this forum. The forum has loads of imporant information and super friendly and helpful members!

Sari

Mark Wales

Aug 16, 2006
Wales, United Kingdom
Hi swisshawaiian,

Have u finally got your licence? How long have you broken the law in Bali by driving without a licence? What would have happened if you have an accident? Would you have driven without a licence in your own country?
I suppose you think this is some sort of banana republic and you can get away just because of where you come from?

It very nice of you to highlight the corruption in the Police Force in Bali by using words as Rogues, but the reason why they stopped you was because they probably knew that you did not have a licence. Corruption aside, you were wrong. And if you are so morally upright why did you not go to the Police Station and volunteer to pay the fine. I am sure you are happy to get away with it.

Frankly I am quite sick of expats who treat this island not as a beautiful place with beautiful peopl but more as a halfway house and a place to run to away from their own troubles. I have met a lot a decent expats in Bali who have made the effort to get their papers in order and to adhere to the laws here. Are you going to be like these expats who have gone about getting their papers in order and trying to understand this country and respect it as visitors or are you going to drive around without papers and whatever else (god knows) till one day you have an accident or whatever?

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Thorsten, Oh Thorsten

I'm not sure what your point is, exactly.

...Stop corruption?
Yes, this should be stopped of course, but I doubt that a phone number will do the job, maybe the first step should be to pay these guys a decent salary...

Of course a phone number will not solve much, if anything. And police, teachers, and all the rest should be paid a decent salary (whatever that is). The "Tourist Police" number that's come up in these posts is just that...another phone number. If the current chief of Bali's police wants to get "hard" on underpaid subordinates, so be it. I applaud his move in that direction. The fact that quite a few local police harrass and attempt to extort money out of foreigners doesn't sit well with me (even though I can understand their motives for doing so). The fact that these same ones do it to their "own people" sucks too.

I believe it's great that somebody is appearing to do something about it. Whether it really works, in reality, remains to be seen. Swisshawaiian's experience and outcome is encouraging. And I'm glad to hear that even Balinese/Indonesians can use that number, although I'm rather skeptical about that. I hope it's true.
:oops: [/quote]

London

Aug 28, 2006
Yes
I've just got back from a month in Bali and had a great time. I was stopped by the police while on my motorbike a few times. Normally I had my intl driving licence with me, but if I was just zipping around local to where I was staying (poppies2 or the beach or Kuta square) I didnt bring it with me.

So of course these were the times I was stopped. One time for going through the no entry at Kuta square leading to Discovery and once at the end of poppies 2 for no helmet.

The thing is, both times I was in the wrong therefore should by rights be fined. If you get caught for doing something wrong in the UK, the minimum fine is £30, so I think it's great that in Bali you can get away with giving the police Rp13,000 or Rp20,000 which is what I had in my pocket on the two occasions I was asked for money. They werent too pleased with the small amounts, but there was no way I was going to dip into my secret place where I kept the real money!!!

Nothing wrong with corruption in my eyes.