Covid-19 Vaccine performs better than expected

spicyayam

So, will you be getting the vaccine?

Hopes are soaring that a Covid vaccine is within reach, following news that an interim analysis has shown Pfizer/BioNTech’s candidate was 90% effective in protecting people from transmission of the virus in global trials.

The vaccine performed much better than most experts had hoped for, according to the companies’ analysis, and brings into view a potential end to a pandemic that has killed more than a million people, battered economies and upended daily life worldwide.

The data is from an interim analysis and the trial continues into December but the headline results were emphatic. Regulators will be looking to process an emergency licence application at record speed.

Global stocks surged to record highs on the news, while companies that have become synonymous with lockdowns in the west, including Zoom’s video conferencing and food delivery firms, saw falls in their value.

Advertisement

John Bell, Regius professor of medicine at Oxford University, who is involved with the Oxford vaccine, said that the Pfizer team had shown “an amazing level of efficacy” and it could mean a return to normality by spring. “I’m the first guy to say that but I will say it with some confidence,” he told the BBC.

Manufacturing is already under way. Pfizer said they expect to supply globally up to 50m vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3bn doses in 2021. Countries will decide who they prioritise for vaccination. In the UK, the joint committee on vaccination and immunisation has recommended that – presuming the vaccines work well enough in elderly people – the first vaccines go to care home workers and residents, followed by anybody over 80 and other health and social care workers. After that, people are expected to get them in decreasing age order.

Let's give it a year or so after roll out, and assuming all looks safe and effective after a few hundred million people have taken it, then I would consider it.

I’d take it tomorrow if it meant we could get back to living a normal life. I think Australia has already ordered 10 million doses.
Where’s the line up, I’m in.

Maybe if it was a serious disease that actually killed more than 2% of the people it infected then I would consider it. I'll take my chances with the 98% success rate though.

Funny story, the only time I ever got influenza was the time I got a flu shot in my Uni years. Thought I would try it out since they were free on campus. Big mistake there

No, except if it is made mandatory to travel but I doubt that would happen.

I dunno about that, it's entirely possible, the medical industry is pocketing a bucketload already with these negative PCR covit test requirements. While there are workarounds paying $100 USD for a COVIT-19 PCR test to get in somewhere is very much part of this "new normal" theme so I don't think it's far fetched to imagine a vaccine will be required.

Not at all what I want, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Not a serious disease? 240,000 dead Americans might beg to differ!

Well, the mean estimate of deaths attributable to obesity in the United States is 280,184 about every year. Yet, you don't see McDonald's and Burger King's shutting down to prevent this. Would you consider obesity a serious disease then?

What about Tuberculosis? Serious disease??. Over 1 million people die each year from Tuberculosis, yet the world never locked down because of it.

By your logic of defining a serious disease, we may as well just shut down the whole world until every single thing that kills more than 200,000 Americans a year is eradicated.

Also, a lot of you will probably roll your eyes at this but I'll send it anyway. Let's just analyze the following timeline:

March 11, 2020, COVID-19 declared a pandemic. (source)

March 11 Fauci testifies to the House Oversight and Reform Committee, that it could take 1 and 1/2 yrs to roll out a coronavirus vaccine. (source)

Mid-march (WHO) three vaccines in clinical trials. First trial began in mid-March. - (source)

How did they develop the vaccine so fast? I thought Fauci said 1 - 1.5 years and here we are, a few days after it being declared a pandemic we have a vaccine being tested. The potential vaccine developed by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).

Fauci is director of NIAID (source)

As predicted after the 4 Nov 2020 (USA election) COVOD crisis over as thousands pour out into the streets celebrating Joe Biden's victory without masks or social distancing. The same group of liberal-minded folks that were afraid to go vote in person. just a few days prior due to Covid-19 fears.

Early Nov vaccine announced by Pfizer -- as 90% effective. (source).

None of this seems the least bit odd to anyone?

If you live in Bali there’s nothing wrong with your brain!
Im stuck in Sydney and can’t go anywhere.
Have a Bintang for me...come to think of it, have quite a few please!

If you live in Bali there’s nothing wrong with your brain!
Im stuck in Sydney and can’t go anywhere.
Have a Bintang for me...come to think of it, have quite a few please!

More of a red wine guy these days but I'll dedicate a class or two of Cab Sav in your honor tonight.

Last edited:
No, except if it is made mandatory to travel but I doubt that would happen.
There's a decent chance we may be unpleasantly surprised in this regard, but of course I hope not.. For some businesses, like cruise ships, requiring passengers to prove vaccination will reduce a lot of their risk and potential liability. Perhaps individual airlines, IATA or even countries will establish a similar rule. It's not beyond possibility that proof of Covid vaccine will be required for international travel just like yellow fever vaccine is required for travel to some African countries. Already, it's being reported that in the US, Ticketmaster will require proof of vaccination or negative test to be admitted to concerts. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...rt-covid-vaccine-coronavirus-testing-tickets/

More of a red wine guy these days but I'll dedicate a class or two of Cab Sav in your honor tonight.

If there is a decent Cab Sav available in Bali please enlighten me where I can find it. Not a big wine drinker by any means but any wines I've tried in Bali fall well below a decent $20-$30 bottle here.

If there is a decent Cab Sav available in Bali please enlighten me where I can find it. Not a big wine drinker by any means but any wines I've tried in Bali fall well below a decent $20-$30 bottle here.

Well yeah if you are going to compare Bali wines to Aussie wines then you are shit out of luck. The wine I used to buy for like 10 bucks down in Oz was light years better than anything produced in Bali.

I typically stay away from any wine that sources grapes from Indo. Just not the right climate for it. Two Islands Winery is based out of Sanur and they source their grapes from Australia. You're paying 200 - 300K per bottle but that's pretty much as cheap as it gets for decent wine around here. Other than that, I always buy imported wine. Chile, Australia and New Zealand are my go to's, France and Italy when I'm feeling fancy.

Indonesian govt says it will get the vaccine to bali first, to 16-59 year olds, So what chance have i as a 70 year old retired kitas holder of getting it.
I would gladly pay for it if it would solve the travel requirements to my family in Perth without extortionate quarantine payments, has anyone got an opinion on this

Indonesian govt says it will get the vaccine to bali first, to 16-59 year olds, So what chance have i as a 70 year old retired kitas holder of getting it.
I would gladly pay for it if it would solve the travel requirements to my family in Perth without extortionate quarantine payments, has anyone got an opinion on this
As i understand it this is stage three trials ,still under study .

Maybe if it was a serious disease that actually killed more than 2% of the people it infected then I would consider it. I'll take my chances with the 98% success rate though.

Funny story, the only time I ever got influenza was the time I got a flu shot in my Uni years. Thought I would try it out since they were free on campus. Big mistake there
It kills 0.2% - 0.3% of those who catch it. So, if you get it, that can be very bad no question, but about 2 or 3 in 1,000 will die from it (or with it).

Back