costs of living in Bali.

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Dear Roy and Irma,

Thanks for your input.

Indeed Roy the most difficult choice is between education and integration of the kids. Thanks for giving your well apriciated and solid information
on this subject.

Irma, I have looked to the website of Dyatmika. Looks fine to me. Will
study it more when plans get more serious.

Thanks again and enjoy your day / afternoon

Greetings from Holland: Sunshine today and 20 degrees :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Alfred, one more suggestion I’ll “throw into the pot” as you contemplate what to do about these very important issues.

As Eri and I explored various schools, on occasion, we left Bima, or Rama, and sometimes both, at one school for a while to “check it out” their own way. We would go off for an hour or two, shopping or having a bite to eat.

The staff at the schools embraced this 100%.

Eri and I both agree that one of the best things we can do as parents is to sometimes let our kids participate, or at least think they participate, in making the decisions. Even at such a young age as four or five, it’s amazing to us just how much they appreciate being consulted, and not always just being treated as kids.

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Roy,

Good ideas! Thanks a lot for being so pro-active. You have been a great help. Is it okay with you that we give you a ring by the time we visit Bali to have a joined meal on our expanse?

greetings,

Selamat Siang!
Alfred.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
We can "discuss" the expense, but sure, that would be very fine. I've already sent you our phone numbers by PM...private message.

One of Eri and my greatest pleasures on this forum is meeting many of the participants. Good fun always, and we always look forward to meeting more!

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Alfred,

Sama sama. Happy to help.

Roy,

Did you ever check out Sekolah Dyatmika in north Sanur? Denpasa'r Children Center - what age range does it cover? Cheers!

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Re: RE: costs of living in Bali.

matsaleh said:
irma1812 said:
.... as I don't see other Indo fellows very often, my Bahasa has gone terrible!!
Two of Jimbo's "pet hates" in the one sentence!!

Irma, I think you're baiting our poor Jimbo. :p

Mats & all members, honest to God, I did the above posting BEFORE reading Jimbo's post about his pet hates. (I meant to post this yesterday but forgot!) Maaf ya Baaaa Pak Jimbo :p

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Roy writes:

At some point, Eri and I both think it would be best for all of our boys to pull them out of the private sector, for at least a year, and put them in our village school. Our reasoning for this is totally based on community issues. Our banjar is small, and as much as we want to offer our sons the best education we can, the friendships and bonds they need to form with their own village peers is equally important.

Now that's a dilemma if I ever heard one. On one hand, there is no questions that from a community point of view, AND from your childrens perspective, having them attend the local school for at least one year makes lot of sense. But on the other hand, not to disparage the village's school, I am sure that the school your boys are now attending is better, for obvious reasons. Personally, I do not see a dilemma in having them attend the village's school for one or two years only. The problem comes after, don't you think? How will that look to the rest of the banjar? Will your boys go along willingly with papa's and mama's decision to take them away from their village buddies? For some reason, I feel that their bonding with the village's kids would be stronger than with the kids at the Denpasar Children's Center. The reason for my thinking such is that I would think the latter school is more of a "transient" school. But maybe not?

Best of luck with this difficult decision.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Wow, Daniel, what can I say? Well, I can, and most certainly should, start with thanking you for such an insightful and sensitive post.

I think all parents worry and stress the most over the earliest years of their children’s lives when they have little, or no opportunity to make their own decisions, or to take any self responsibility. That period starts right at conception, not only for the mother, but for the father too, as a nurturing husband, and of course goes on for quite a number of years.

I blew it completely with my first marriage, and first family in the US. I blew it because when my wife of that time decided she wanted a divorce, I allowed myself to be forcibly removed from being a father any longer, courtesy of the American family law system. I will always live with my own guilt for not fighting harder and not doing whatever it would have taken to prevent that.

This time around, I will not make the same mistakes. In all honesty, I will admit that I appreciate many (but not all) of the patriarchal aspects of Balinese culture. It’s rather more easy to be a father here, as in many respects, it is demanded or at least expected. Moreover, the community aspect of raising children is a wonderful element of adat. That aspect alone, despite any parenting flaws I have, delights me to raise our children here in Bali...fully integrated and fully Balinese.

Yes, as you point out, it is a dilemma. Thank you again for understanding that.

I gauge Eri’s and my success as parents from our boys. I ask myself every day....are they happy, healthy, strong, learning, asking questions, hugging and kissing, and growing? As long as I can keep saying yes, what else can I expect from myself or Eri?

Daniel, you are right of course that the school they now attend, and virtually all the international or Indonesian/international schools, are transient. There is no getting around that fact. Our children are not the only children that attend school outside of our village. So far, there does not seem to be any sort of “stigma” associated with that sort of thing. On the other hand, there are several men and women in our village, aside from my cousin (Brother Wayan), who have been able to be educated in universities in the US, Europe and Australia after having their basic and secondary education here in our village.

I sometimes wonder, “does the fact that we “export” our boys for their schooling send the wrong signal to others in our village?”

Every aspect of our village has improved rather dramatically in the years since I decided to call it home. Among these improvements is education. I am impressed when my boys are interacting with their many, many cousins, most all being educated here in our village schools. I honestly can see no difference in the skills (aside from English) these other children demonstrate from our own boys.

Sorry to ramble on. I guess you can see clearly that for me, I regard this issue as the most difficult challenge in my life. I think all parents struggle with this dilemma in one way or another. Jimbo, for one, has certainly described that here as he works at hell’s gate to see his own prosper.

If I can add a few more words about the bonding issue that I agree is so important, I would call to attention the pura. As you well know, the Balinese are at temple many, many times a month. While I cannot keep up with my wife in this regard, my boys do, and they love going to temple. These events are as much social as they are religious. The pura are the glue that truly bonds Balinese society. It is there, at temple, that the villagers come together, and it is there, more than any other aspect of Balinese life, where life long bonds, among themselves, and with their Gods, are formed.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Re: RE: costs of living in Bali.

Roy writes:

At some point, Eri and I both think it would be best for all of our boys to pull them out of the private sector, for at least a year, and put them in our village school.

tintin said:
Will your boys go along willingly with papa's and mama's decision to take them away from their village buddies?

Tintin, you've definitely got a point there as recognised by Roy. My eldest son went to a private school for a few years to age 9, due to a house move we took him out and put him into a state school locally where he was actually bullied. After that he went to a good state high school 8 miles away, unfortunately due to family problems we moved away again, as it turned out only for 6 months, so he went to another school then went back to his original high school again where he stayed until finishing GCSE exams last year.

Instead of being used to making new friends & meeting new people at his new schools, unfortunately he became withdrawn and more interested in playing computer games than seeing his friends. It went on for 3-4 years gradually getting worse & worse, even abandoning his tennis training! :shock:

He is now almost 17 and started tennis again a year ago but only since before last Christmas he started going out with friends again. We are glad about that as long as he stays sensible about things. (The benefit about him not seeing his friends was that we always knew where he was - at home - unfortunately watching TV or on computer though!)

He was always quite a sociable boy and I do believe he became withdrawn & unsociable was not simply due to being a teenager, but also because he had to keep moving schools! He told me several times he resented that, but thankfully he doesn't hold it against us. (I hope :( )

So Roy, I'm sure you & Eri will always do your best for your boys, but be careful when you move them in/out schools. As you know I have another little one now to worry about as well about schooling, so you have my sympathy. It's not easy, is it?

shebitme

Oct 2, 2005
Fremantle
Like all the posters here, schooling is definitely going to be an issue for us. Our plans are to build next year, then start to live part-time in Bali. So our five year olds' school year will be split.

One of the options we will look at is home-schooling in Bali, especially if it is just for a school term, which in the first year we think is likely. Lou is teacher trained, and we both have a strong theatre and arts background, so we think we can make an interesting home-school curriculum for that period of time. Constructing his social life may be a bit trickier I guess.

We are about to leave for Bali in a week, and will have Christmas and New Year there and looking forward to it very much. Have not been there at that time of year before; expecting high humidity, and thundery showers!

Grahame and Lou

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Alfred appeared to ask:

...xvxvxvxvxvxvxvxv...

...which doesn't make any sense to me. How anybody could post responses to that baffles me.

I'm not sure where this question came from:

...Can somebody tell me then, if wages haven't increased, how on earth do the locals manage?!?...

Most don't, unless they were 'rich' in the first place, and even some of them are struggling to find more rice paddies to sell to support their life-styles.

:roll:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

kauaibobby

Oct 27, 2007
santa cruz, california, usa
has to be alot cheaper than where i live now in Santa Cruz,California.
The price of property is crazy here but people still seem to be able to buy, or someone is anyway.
The other day a block from me on the beach i saw a 2 bedroom apartment for sale for $3,950,000 million US dollars that is, not rp.

G

It will probably be bought by some exec making US$2M/year so it's still cheap. :lol:

Sydjapan

Jun 7, 2008
Japan
Hi! I have recently registered but have been viewing and searching the forum for a while. I am planning to move/retire in Bali in 22 or 34 months and have chosen the North/Singaraja area.

There is a ton of great information on the forum and much has already been useful! Having said that, what would be most useful for me would be an "updated" cost of living breakdown based on current conditions. The ones posted over the years are interesting, but I'm assuming things have changed? I realise that there are many different personal situations and opinions, but a variety would be interesting. Costs related to housing (rent/own and associated costs), daily living costs (general and "hidden"), and healthcare. I know that there are MANY variations for healthcare, but an amount spent would be interesting from various people.

I also would like to hear the yearly amount - all inclusive - for people renewing social visas. I know the visa topic has been covered extensively and I have sifted through, but....the question/need for clarification:

If a person comes in on a 2 month tourist visa, can they process the first social visa while in Bali? If so, is it good for the 6 months or does it include the original 2 months from the tourist visa? Is a social visa (with the proper visa runs) renewable indefinitely? Is there ever a question of non-renewal for any reason?

Thank you in advance. I know I don't need to know everything immediately, but some of this would be helpful for planning.