Changes in Indonesian Visas?

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
I've heard rumblings that the Indonesian government is considering relaxing their rather strict new tourist visa (US$25 for 30 days, nonextendable) beyond even what it once was (60 days). I think I saw somewhere that 90 days is being considered. Does anyone have any information as to whether or not this is the case? I remember the outcry of those dependent upon tourism when the government not only cut the visa stay period in half, but started charging most countries $25 instead of the freebie it used to be. A 90-day visa would benefit the locals as well as some tourists, I think, so I'm hopeful that this is true and comes to pass.

CAP

Jun 9, 2006
Australia
I HOPE THEY CHANGE THE WHOLE SYSTEM OF VISA SO THAT WE CAN GO TO INDONESIA AND ENJOY THE PLACE AS WE SHOLUD BE ALLOWED, INSTEAD OF FEELING LIKE WE ARE ON PROBATION..ESPECIALLY US THAT ARE MARRIED TO INDOESIAN WOMEN THAT GET TREATED LIKE CASH COWS AND HAVE TO LIVE IN EXILE IN OTHER COUNTRIES WHILE WAITING FOR HARIANTO AND HIS MATES TO GET DOWN TO REAL BUSINESS,.YAWN

Would be great if they did allow 90 day visas and the backpackers came back. Australia and New Zealand give two year visas for backpackers.

Don't hold your breath waiting for any changes as it takes a long time for anything to happen here.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Neil, what Chad originally posted about was the visa on arrival, or VOA for tourists. They used to be good for 60 days. There has always been 60 day visas available by prior application to any Indonesian embassy, some countries excluded, of course.

VOA's still stand at 30 days.

neilf

Jul 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
oh yes i understand that, but if you take a little bit of time before you come to bali anf visit your countries indonesian embassy then you can pay for a 60 day visa and get your passport stamped. i am not 100% sure, but my wife told me that if you do it that way then once you are in indonesia you can go to the correct department( not sure what it is called ) in bali and you can get it extended. last itme i was in indonesia, when my visa ran out i went with my wife( she is indonesian ) to a government department in indonesian and they extended my visa by another 60 days.

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
While I'm reasonably sure there are ways around this, Indonesia being Indonesia after all, the official line on the 30-day VOAs is no extensions, period. Social/cultural visas are a different story.