Booking accomodation for the new year

busyfrog

Oct 17, 2006
Australia
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Would like to ask few questions. We (wife and 2 boys 2 & 6) are going to Bali at the end of December for 3 weeks (25th Dec - 12th Jan) :) I've heard from some friends that I will always get the accommodation as post the Bali bomb 2 that not many tourists.
How busy is it during xmas & new year?
Should we make a booking beforehand or just show up & choose as we go? We primarily looking for homestay so the boys can play with local kids & we are in tight budget as well.
Any recommendation for the accommodation & activities?

Rough plan is
4 days in Kuta/Legian
4 days in Ubud
7 days in Lovina
4 days in Kuta/Legian

Thanks in advance.

nayusari

Oct 9, 2006
Spokane, WA & Denpasar, Bali
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

In terms of the places to stay in Ubud, I would like to recommend Kajane Mua Villas. Your two boys will have a blast with the private pool right in front of the hotel room and some villas offer stunning views of the rice fields and the river. Check out http://www.kajane.com and if you are interested, I can help you making the reservation as the owner is my long time friend from college. No, I don't get any commissions whatsoever from referring. I just like the ambience and the great service Kajane has known for.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Welcome, busyfrog

...Should we make a booking beforehand or just show up & choose as we go? We primarily looking for homestay...& we are in tight budget...

Most, if not all, homestays I know of don't have websites where you can book on-line, but I could be wrong there. I would be inclined to arrive here with the first night booked in some place in Kuta/Legian and ask around the next morning for a homestay in the vicinity. (Have you been to Bali before?)
You also ask:
...How busy is it during xmas & new year?...
I think nobody can predict how busy it will be this year but the way things are looking, there's a big chance that it'll be relatively "quiet".

If you've already checked out nayusari's suggestion to stay in Kajane Mua Villas in Ubud, I'm sure you'll agree that it's not the place for you and your budget, nice as it is. (Their rates are US$135-500 per night, plus 21% in taxes.)

You can and will find very pleasant places for much less than that. I am not some kind of "agent" for accommodation in these parts, but I might be able to help you when you get here (no charge). Feel free to send me a PM (personal message) from this forum.

:)

Adele

Aug 6, 2006
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
I will be around in Jan 07 and took the liberty of booking a cheap hotel as I was worried it may be very buisy as Australia has a airline called Jetstar who has just gone international. As part of their promotion they included fares to Bali as cheap as $24.00 return plus tax etc, I took up their offer and hence was able to pay for my eldest son to come with me. The point I am trying desperately come to is Bali is being featured on the the TV in ads as the tourist destination to go to so it may well see more Aussies returning this year, I do hope so.

busyfrog

Oct 17, 2006
Australia
Sanurian, thanks for the offer.

Yes, we've been to Bali before. It was 5 years ago, but wasnt in the peak season & only 1 baby. We didn't book accomodation in advance.

Things have changed now with 2 active :twisted: boys. We need to plan better this time.

Cheers
Busyfrog

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
I know a lovely homestay in Penestanan owned and run by a Balinese family - it is really clean, I've stayed there many times. They have 4 rooms so you could stay in one with the kids next door.

Penestanan is just up the hill from Ubud. You can walk into Ubud, or get local transport. Not exactly sure of the rate but probably around Rp80,000 to Rp100,000 per night for two, including a pretty good breakfast. Rooms have fans and hot water.

Plenty of places to eat cheaply, little galleries, etc in the local area. And walking distance to the river where you can swim.

Can give you the phone number and details if you pm me.

Cheers

Freo

shebitme

Oct 2, 2005
Fremantle
We have often stayed at the Jayakarta in Legian. Very full of Aussie families, which suited us as our 4 yr old had plenty of mates, and is right on the beach. It's a bit bland, but was perfect for what we wanted at the time, and not big rupiahs. This year we're doing a house swap.

rakini

Oct 11, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Hi busyfrog, if you stay with Mr Gede say hello from Michele, Erwin and the boys. We had a really nice time there in July and nothing was too much trouble. It is a little way out of Lovina but there is a bemo into town, or Mr Gede can arrange transport.

v_dors

Apr 23, 2005
Australia
Having just looked at "Gede homestay.com" Will definately go there when I will be in Lovina in January. What a nice place! 8)

rakini

Oct 11, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Re: RE: Booking accomodation for the new year

v_dors said:
Having just looked at "Gede homestay.com" Will definately go there when I will be in Lovina in January. What a nice place! 8)

It is just lovely, but the nicest thing about it is Mr Gede and his family. They really make every guest feel welcome! It reminded me of the old style homestays you used to find in Kuta in the late 70's.