Best place to photograph Agung sunset/sunrise?

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
I'm off to Bali in about 4 weeks on a strictly photography holiday - woohoo!

I'm planning a shoot for both sunset and sunrise of Mt Agung. My current plans are to stay overnight in Candidasa and get a local guide to drive me to a vantage point to view Agung. I'm after an image that is clearly of the mountain, not some cloudy lump in the distance!

Can anyone recommend a good vantage point to photograph the mountain and/or a better base camp than Candidasa?

I will be travelling from our hotel in Nusa Dua.

Cheers!

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
I've taken some great photos of Agung from Mangsit beach in Lombok. Depends on the time of year, the sun sets behind the mountain. I know that's not what you had in mind, but just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
Thanks for your feedback FreoGirl (I'm from Rockingham!).

Can you really see Agung from Lombok? I'm hoping to get the sun behind some of the mountain at sunset but it will depend on the angle it goes down this time of the year.

Anyone else know of a good vantage point?

Pa_Yan

Dec 9, 2005
I stayed at Pacung Indah last year and it has a good view of Mount Agung. It can be cloudy sometimes. It's a nice place to stay for a day or 2.

Attachments

• 100_1783.JPG
    100_1783.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 171

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Gabby said:
Thanks for your feedback FreoGirl (I'm from Rockingham!).

Can you really see Agung from Lombok? I'm hoping to get the sun behind some of the mountain at sunset but it will depend on the angle it goes down this time of the year.

Anyone else know of a good vantage point?

Absolutely you can see Agung from Lombok - if it is clear you can see all three peaks on Bali. Unfortunately all my sunset shots are not on digital, but here's one taken in the afternoon.

Attachments

• RIMG0137 - Copy (2).jpg
    RIMG0137 - Copy (2).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 133

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Pa_Yan said:
I stayed at Pacung Indah last year and it has a good view of Mount Agung. It can be cloudy sometimes. It's a nice place to stay for a day or 2.

Agree!

You never know how the weather will be, but certainly a great moment to be awaked by the sunrise, you open your eyes and the first thing you'll see is Mt. Agung!
David the owner is a forum memeber here aka Orang Gila, but not very active anymore since he has his own forum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81416999@N ... 516772016/
[attachment=0:3cy58r21]Bild 143.jpg[/attachment:3cy58r21]

Attachments

• Bild 143.jpg
    Bild 143.jpg
    947.1 KB · Views: 134

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
Pa Yan unfortunately I'm only doing the east coast - there's so much to see and do and not enough time to photograph it all in one week! But I will keep Pacung Indah on my list of things to do next time! Beautiful photo by the way!

Hey Charlie - you're a long way from home! I put all my pics up on here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toledogirl51/ - mostly doing people pics atm but you should find some pics of Point Peron in there! I started snorkelling again at Point Peron (my first attempt was on the Great Barrier Reef when I was only 9 and all the fish were bigger than me! A couple of shark chasings later and I'm not that keen to go in the water anymore!). Anyway Point Peron, my digital camera and an underwater housing gave me the idea to try snorkelling at Lembongan this trip. Really looking forward to it!

Nice photo FreoGirl!

Seeing as I'm doing the east coast do you think Candidasa is a good place to base my Mt Agung shoot from?

Cheers!

dug

May 9, 2006
los angeles
Yes, Mr. Thorsten is correct,Davids place at Pacung Indah is very nice. Because you are in the East, I may suggest the village of Asak about 15 minutes or 10k fom Candidasa. To get there, pass Bugbug village ,approx. 2k at the village of Perasi take the left at the sign for Timbrah village stay on the road and you will come to Asak where Gng Agung can be veiwed. Please do it in the morning,before the clouds hide it!

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
[attachment=1:3fwnxznk]img5803 (Large).jpg[/attachment:3fwnxznk][attachment=0:3fwnxznk]img5804 (Large).jpg[/attachment:3fwnxznk]

Attachments

• img5803 (Large).jpg
    img5803 (Large).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 112
  • img5804 (Large).jpg
    img5804 (Large).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 109

Pa_Yan

Dec 9, 2005
I'll try to resize it to a better format. Seems like we stayed at the same room at Pacung Indah Thorsten. I loved the view from the bathroom!

Attachments

• 100_1375.jpg
    100_1375.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_1781.jpg
    100_1781.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_1782.jpg
    100_1782.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 101

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I'm not quite sure what happened but last night this popped up as one of the newest posts - and I replied but this morning it was gone....

I styayed at Pacung Indah this August (maybe when this was originally posted and why I missed it) I dont think we had the loo with a view. Well it had a blind but would have had a view if it was open but then again anyone at the back of the restaurant would have had a view of us too :shock:

The room really was very nice and the view great. Infact Marty (2) walked in to the restaurant, up to the huge window and said "wow nice" the first time he had used these two words together. :lol:

I didnt see Agung in the morning but maybe I was up a bit late after downing a couple of bottles of wine with David. :lol:

khatrineluz

Dec 5, 2008
:shock: Wow the photos was so great! i love it! the place was mystical... got many views... Thumbs up to you guys!!! 8)