logicalor

Mar 18, 2012
Hi there

I am going to be in Bali for a week in August, to round off a volcano tour I am taking across Java.

I am very interested in staying at Strawberry Hill Hotel in the Bedugul area for the duration of my visit, however as I am a non-driver I am wondering if being in the Bedugul area will pose any problems sourcing transport.

My primary motivation in travelling is landscape photography, so I am aiming to visit Mount Agung (maybe doing the easier overnight climb for some dawn photography if feasible), Lempuyang Temple and the obligatory Tanah Lot (hopefully either dawn or dusk), along with a few places in and around Bedugul itself such as the Bali Botanical Gardens (aiming to do some macro insect photography), Jatiluwih, Munuk Waterfall and Pura Ulun Danu Bratan.

It does sound like a lot to be doing over a week, so I am very keen for any advice about what I should prioritise (and alternative suggestions for scenic photography - especially off the beaten path - would be most welcome!).

Would Bedugul be an appropriate place to base myself to do some exploration? Would it be worth pre-booking a driver for a week?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Well it makes sense to base yourself at the same hotel for a few nights. Hiring a driver for several days also makes sense. I have stayed at the Strawberry Hill Hotel and quite like it - and the staff are very helpful. There are a number of things to do in Bedugul itself - there is the Botanic Gardens with extensive gardens, glass houses, and the commercially operated tree-top adventure. Then there is water-sports on Lake Bratan, and the temple by that lake. You can spend time in the market - but unfortunately Crackers Bar at the back corner seems to have closed.

For drivers, no doubt the hotel can help you, but if you want some recommendations from Lovina, I can suggest a couple.

Keep in mine that it takes a few hours to get from Bedugul to Mt Agung.

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
a driver + car will cost you around 450,000 - 550,000 for an 8hr day which is around us$50-us$60

the other thing to consider is hiring a motorbike - as a keen photographer myself i reckon the bike is great as it so much easier to stop, and fire off a few snaps. yes, you will get lost by yourself but that's half the fun!