banking

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Jimbo, as far as I know, if you don't have KITAS or Indonesian tax number, you can only open savings accounts, rather than current accounts.

We have a HSBC Premier savings account (USD) there and you'll still get ATM cards which you can use on all ATMs with Cirrus sign. No HSBC branch in Bali unfortunately though, there are many in Jakarta, Surabaya and a few other cities.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
However this year I noticed that some machines give the cards first then the cash, and some even had prompts (a beep) if you forgot to remove the card. I think it must depend on the bank as to how the ATM is set up.

Bloody hell, I've been vindicated! Still, I hate discussing banks.

I guess what I hate the most about banks, is this feeling I’ve often gotten there, that while the money in your account is yours, earned from whatever means taken to acquire it, the banks always seem to try to make it seem it’s a privilege for you to withdraw it.

I guess it was my comment once a long time ago at the BCA office in Ubud that got me banned from going into their office...forever. Very stressed, very angry, very frustrated, my comment, roughly translated, went something like this, “yo Bu, fork it over, or I’ll have to be paying for your cremation.”

Come to find out from my wife later, my comment was completely misunderstood (thank God) and the teller, (a Javanese Muslim) took my comment to mean that she should be cremated, and not buried. Viewed less as a potential bank robber (of my own money) I am viewed there as a religious zealot. :shock:

That was a long time ago, when I was very dumb and ignorant. As the years have passed, I’m happy to acknowledge that I am less so dumb and ignorant...but I still stay clear of banks.

However, if in the future if I ever have to go back there, I will have to be dressed in full adat, carrying offerings with many smoking sticks of incense, and chanting “ohm” something...or I will be shot. :p

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Just to put my 2 cents worth in - BCA in Mataram would not let me open an account as I didn't have a Kitas.

We have one in my husband's name (who is Indonesian), it needs a minimum balance of Rp700,000 or the fees get high, otherwise they charge a monthly fee of about Rp7000?

It has ok internet banking - can pay bills for some companies and utilities, and can transfer money to other BCA accounts (for free).

And of course has a card for the ATM. Can't tell you which comes out first in Lombok - the card or the money, I don't recall.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Interesting Roy. I had a similar experience at the BCA is Singaraja many years ago when I was much younger and more easily aroused. I left the bank sputtering about it being a cold day in hell before I went back to begging for something that was mine again. I most certainly am older, perhaps a bit wiser, but we still don't use BCA.