Bank account. Citibank or local bank?

drlangenbeck

May 4, 2005
Bali
Hi,

I need a bank account and wonder if I should open one with Citibank or rather use a local bank like Bank Permata or Bank Mandiri?

Does anbody have some experiences with Citibank?

Thanks,
Frank

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Welcome Dr Langenbeck !

Don't know about the city bank, Roy may have some news about that :)

I use BII, but I will change to BCA in the future, simply because they have more ATM's in Bali. Both Banks have Internet Banking, Internet banking via BII works pretty good.

Out of curiosity, you are in Bali using a Hong Kong based satelite system, (I think) where did you make your post from? Home or Internet cafe??

thanks,

Bert

Kawika

Apr 2, 2005
USA
I have a USA citibank account, same as any other bank. In Bali I could withdraw alot of RP$ in one transaction. I forget the amount but it was alot more than all the other atms. But if you have an overseas account you can not withdraw in US$ from the atm even if it says so on the screen. oh, all i found as far as locations was one ATM in the airport arrivals near baggage and a branch in Denpasar.

if you do a search Roy has a thread w/ a Citibank story.

I just opened a USD and AUD bank accounts with BII - I'm non resident and didnt have too much trouble.

I have been having trouble with the internet banking though - cannot even register.

What's the situation with ATMs?? Are they bank specific and not like generic-'we take all cards' as elswhere?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Yes you can take money from other ATM's with your BII card.

Only it costs you 25.000 rupiah more then from a BII ATM.

Happy searching :)

makavelli

May 7, 2005
Harris St, Sydney...
if you stay long enough, open a local bank..
coz citibank charge you huge amount of money monthly...
and local gaves you more service as well..(atms, debit, etc)
id suggest BCA or mandiri....

kuuan

May 8, 2005
Ubud
I have had bank accounts with various local banks and so far I am very pleased with the service. Choose the one which is closest to you, resp. which has the closest ATMs near you, which might be BII, BNI, Bank Permata, BCA, Bank Danamon, they are all O.K. If you have to go often you may check out if it is very growded, some years ago I had changed my 'major' account from BCA to Bank Permata because at the BCA near to my place I usually had to wait in line very often whereas at Bank Permata I am greeted and taken care of immediately upon arrival. I do have a US$ account there as well, and the internet banking works great for me, much easier then the one of my bank in Europe. Bank Danamon I choose to have my electricity and telefon bills paid without me having to do more then picking up the receipt at times, a service Bank Permata is not offering.

sander

Dec 29, 2004
Almere - The Netherlands
www.hamel.it
I used channel 11 before, I think they indeed use a hongkong sattelite connection.

I am using Permata bank and I am happy with the service. I always go to there office in Sanur (near hardy's ) where I never have to wait inline.

Most important reason for me to go to permata is because I have a multiple entry business visa and Mandiri and BNI did not allow me to open a bankaccount without a kitas. My GF still have a KTP from JAWA, they did not allow that as well.