Bandara Ngurah Rai

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Wednesday, I decided to go see my family in Paris, before another (tricky) surgical operation on Oct 6. So, Thursday, as I was waiting to go through security at the Boston airport (the security lines are now longer and slower than ever, given that one cannot even take a bottle of soda, or a deodorant through it), my eyes caught a poster on the wall (the ONLY poster of this kind, very conspicuous, on a large wall). It warned that travellers to the "Bandara Ngurah Rai International airport" (sic) should beware, as the airport did not meet the int'l standards for airport security. :cry:

I guess Bali is notorious on all fronts. :roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Daniel, the best of luck with your upcoming surgery. I’ll ask Eri to make a special offering and prayer for your complete success. .

Too bad you couldn’t get a photo of that poster, but I guess you can’t even take a camera on board these days...out of the US anyway.

G

Are there more airports in the world that do not meet these criteria? My guess would be yes. If so, I'd say the rest of the wall is used for them.

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
Re: RE: Bandara Ngurah Rai

Anonymous said:
Are there more airports in the world that do not meet these criteria? My guess would be yes. If so, I'd say the rest of the wall is used for them.

sorry that was me who posted that.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Yes, I could have taken a picture while waiting in line (cameras are still ok). Next time.

The warning about Bandara Ngurah Rai was the ONLY such warning on a large, totally empty wall, and everyone in the line has to pass by it : obviously, it would seem that someone in the US State Dept has a beef against Bali. :evil: :evil:

G

There is no beef. Bali Ngurah Rai is simply not up to code under FAA regulations and it has lots of security breaches and areas that need to be fixed including the boundary and the isthmus the runway is on. Did you know that a fully loaded 747 with cargo and enough fuel to fly 12 hours could not take off from Ngurah Rai because of the short runway on the isthmus? There are many airports in Indonesia that dont fit FAA standards and being a US citizen, the State Dept. has to warn to travellers of these security threats abroad. The sign is in Boston because Bali is a popular tourist destination and many tourists to bali start their journey in Boston.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Daniel, is Logan Airport now under control of the State Department, or Homeland Security, or is it as it was when I lived there, in the early 70’s to early 80’s, viz, under the control of the Port Authority of Boston?

I’m not doubting what you say in a New York second, and if I had traveled back to my visit my roots in Boston, seeing that poster on my way home, (and as you describe it) it would have certainly evoked a similar, if not more decisive reaction from me....like tearing it off the wall!

Ten years later on, most likely after wallowing in “Gitmo” as the “forces that be” tried to figure out what to do with me, I would hope I’d be eventually reunited with my family...and in my home...of Bali.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Ha Rafael,

Good you are still reading...

Certainly Bali's Airport has not the same security level as Boston, Schiphol or Heathrow.

But, the airport is very suitable for take of and landing of large aircraft... And there are no flight safety dangers.

Are you going to hang around trying to make look things bad?

If so, I will ban your IP address....

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Guest...give it a break! Even George Jr. landed here on Airforce 1 last year!

The only problem with Bush Junior's visit to Bali, is that it didn't last for more than four hours! :shock: :shock:

Screw FAA regulations! Who the hell has determined that the FAA is the deciding entity of airport, or aircraft security world wide? :!: :!: :!:

I'll be flying to Singapore from Bali in a few weeks...and guess what? I'll be be able to take on board deodorant...and even bottled water! :shock:

So what that NGR's runway isn't long enough to handle a fully fueled stretch 747 for a 12 hour flight? It used to handle direct flight via Gaurda to LA with one stop along the way, and with no problems.

Sorry guest, whoever you are, but you are indeed an ignorant arse who is much better off living your life in a trailor park in Florida, and leaving the rest of us alone, and without your mindless comments.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Rafael, Uluwatuwanker or whatever your real name is,
you’re out of the game, nobody needs your crap here, so don’t bother anymore!
To tell you the truth, I couldn’t care less about the shit you are posting here on a Bali forum, but I have a natural aversion against dishonest people, guys like you, who pretend to be something they are not, maybe you would like to discuss this with your “friends” in the Senate, probably you are washing the floor there.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Sorry folks, I've just removed Raf/Waves disparaging and disgusting comments and some of the responses, so the thread doesn't make a lot of sense any longer.

Hopefully, Bert will block this parasite's IP shortly.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: RE: Bandara Ngurah Rai

matsaleh said:
Sorry folks, I've just removed Raf/Waves disparaging and disgusting comments and some of the responses, so the thread doesn't make a lot of sense any longer.

Hopefully, Bert will block this parasite's IP shortly.

Done.

But I missed it :(

mungo

Sep 17, 2006
fremantle
I can say it was Feb 2005 when we left Bali after a short holiday, that NR airport security was as slack as it was in Australia (Perth), given the fact that the Oz gov't hiked up taxes for the "extra" security.

But I must admit, on our last departure this year from NR, the security was of a better standard and more thorough than Aus where we experienced no apparent changes in outward security. So I don't know why fingers were pointed at NR at Boston, unless the security at other airports other than Perth, is of a higher standard, which if they are, would become a worry, because the old cavity check could be well up in the checklist criteria, because that's the only place the security people at NR didn't bother to search.

Hopefully the day does not arrive where airport security are wearing latex gloves. :shock:

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
It’s amazing me, when a special foreign airport is exposed on posters as insecure in the US and then, why Bali?

Security at Ngurah Rai is at least better than on any airport here in Europe (at least the airports I have seen).
My home airport here is Frankfurt Rhein-Main the number two in Europe with almost 40 mio passengers each year, something about 45,000 people are working on this airport, several times already journalists have proved, how easy it is to get access to planes there, or to get (in this case) bomb dummies on board.
Thousands of people are entering the terminal every day with no security check at all, you could bring a truckload of explosives into the terminal with almost no risk to get detected, security personal for the airport is employed under pressure of costs, so a lack of qualification is unavoidable.
Last year a German police officer got arrested on the airport of Djerba (Tunisia) when she wanted to get her flight back home to Frankfurt from holidays, she had her pistol in her backpack, simply forgot to take it out before she took the flight from Frankfurt, she was boarding with a loaded pistol in her hand luggage in Frankfurt, not aware of this.

Wherever I travelled, I had always a aluminium bottle with me in my suitcase (have two, one with 1,5l and one with 1l), every security check would expose the bottle on x-ray, nobody would know what would be in this bottle, it was never checked anywhere in the world!
The bottle could contain 1 kg of Semtex and also the detonator, enough to blast 5 planes!

Remember the “Maid of the Seas”?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_flight_103

There are countless possibilities for a terror attack, absolute security will remain an illusion, just like the “war against terror” will remain an illusion, how to fight terror with bombs and tanks?

Best regards
Thorsten

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Hi everyone

Just got back this morning from Bali. When we went through the entrance of the airport - the driver got his ticket we were pulled over. This had never happened before. This was my third trip this year and I thought 'I don't have my seat belt on' surely my driver is not going to get a fine - when I am leaving'.

No they checked under the car around the car opened the door and apologised to me for the inconvenince. I heard Made my driver explaining I was from Australia.

That was it.

When my friends and I caught up - they were with their driver the same thing happened to them.

Went to Poppies on the last night and I was surprised that everybody going into the restaurant was searched with a 'wand'.

Did it make me feel safter - you bet. My friends were a little concerned about going down to the middle of Kuta this time of year.

I think the security at the airport has tightened over the last couple of times.

BUT on my fourth day I nearly got killed by a motorbike. :cry: My fault didn't look to the right again before crossing - it was so close. So, it just wasn't my day to die. :D

Tna

quirkyartist

Jun 30, 2006
Sydney Australia
A couple of years ago I went to stay in Switzerland for a few weeks. We took one trip to Spain and another to Italy. The thing that amazed me, given how well-organised the Swiss are, was the total lack of interest by the customs & immigration people.
The immigration people would turn their heads away as I approached with my (Australian) passport & documentation. Not once, but every time. I was really shocked. Not meaning to bag Switzerland, where I have some great friends, and they treat me so well, but Switzerland is a risk. Anyone could board an aircraft there & keep changing planes and cause a problem anywhere in the world.
Why pick on Bali! It was truly shocking not to even have my passport or luggage looked at when we're so used to it in this part of the world.

Norm

Sep 16, 2006
Australia/Ubud
Pre 9/11 we went through Singapore Changi in transit. I cannot imagine it remains so but as we as we approached the customs desks we could see an enormous sign over the exit doors that read words to the effect "Death Penalty for Drug Smugglers". We followed the green line straight under that sign and through the auto-sliding door unchecked out to the puiblic areas and without there being a Customs Officer within sight!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Tina, I’m very happy it wasn’t “your day to die.” :shock: :shock:

In our lives, at one time or another, we all tempt fate, but for me, those days are long gone.

As for the original post by Daniel which started this string, I believe I have found the reason and source.

Following is a US Consulate Warden message that I received back in late December of last year. While I normally share these notices on this forum, this one slipped by me.

My personal opinions regarding some of these warden messages, that I am obligated to disseminate, are not an issue when fulfilling my commitment to post them.

----Original Message-----
> From: Jakarta, ACS
> Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:27 AM
> Subject: Wardens--U.S. Embassy Jakarta Warden Message 29 Dec 2005
>
> Wardens: Please distribute this message to the Americans in your organization. Thank you.
>
> U.S. Embassy Jakarta
> U.S. Consulate General Surabaya
> Warden Message
> December 29, 2005
>
> The U.S. Embassy informs American citizens that on December 23, 2005, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced that the Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali, Indonesia does not currently maintain security measures consistent with the standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
>
> TSA representatives have been in Indonesia to help airport authorities bring Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport up to international standards. The TSA representatives will continue to work with Indonesia and to assist local authorities with correcting security deficiencies at the airport as quickly as possible.
>
> For further information, please go to TSA> '> s website at http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme ... 198019608c.
>
> The Embassy strongly encourages Americans in Indonesia, including short-term visitors, to register with the Embassy in Jakarta, the Consulate General in Surabaya, or the Consular Agent in Bali. Registration may be done on-line at http://jakarta.usembassy.gov/consular/onlinereg.html <http://jakarta.usembassy/gov/consular/onlinereg.html> or by telephone to the numbers below.
>
> Information on registration procedures, all security-related Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, and recent Embassy warden messages are posted on the Embassy> '> s website at http://jakarta.usembassy.gov.
>
> The Embassy is located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, No. 4-5, Jakarta; the 24-hour telephone number is 021-3435-9000. The telephone number of the Consulate General in Surabaya is 031-295-6400; the telephone number of the U.S. Consular Agency in Bali is 0361-233-605.