Bali's airport one of the world's ugliest

balinews

The Travel & Leisure magazine has voted Bali's Ngurah Rai International Airport as one of the world's ugliest.

For an airport whose motto is “Gateway to Paradise,” Ngurah Rai is confoundingly grim. Indonesia’s third-busiest airport, near Bali’s capital city, occupies a long, low building with a ceramic-tile roof. Though it doesn’t look so terrible from the outside, inside is a dingy concourse that could really be anywhere, assuming anywhere is Cleveland. “Low ceilings, very low lighting, chairs randomly here and there, and lots of gray,” recalls design writer Eva Hagberg, author of Dark Nostalgia. “All I can remember is the gray. Even the business-class lounge is gray.” And you know an airport’s got problems when its most eye-catching feature is a McDonald’s.​

The other airport's in the list include:

John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York City
Charles de Gaulle, Paris
Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow
Heathrow Airport, London
Washington Dulles International Airport, Dulles, VA
Narita International Airport, Tokyo
Linate Airport, Milan
Lynden Pindling International Airport, Nassau, Bahamas
Sofia International Airport, Sofia, Bulgaria
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Atlanta
El Paso International Airport, El Paso, TX

hi friends , for me bali airport is the most beautifull airport in the world, lol, im always happy to be there. ans at least i can smoke there.

yah i have had good trips and gone through denpasar hope it is gd for this fri im on my way oh and jokko you can smoke there that is prob one of the reasons it looks grey

I never though of Ngurah Rai a/p as "grim." Anyway, it's the best smelling airport I have ever landed at, each time, every time.:icon_biggrin:

Ha! I've been through TWO of these! At least in DPS you know you'll be in paradise very shortly. Nassau was a hideous featureless single hall, only endurable through a rum-soaked haze. The one in Papua should be on there too! (that would make it three for me!)

for me is fine, never have time to looking around or look the ceilings, never spend too much time there neither when arrive or when I go so, to me is good enough.
Like Jimbo when I arrive and cross the door of the plane a big smile is always in my face!!!

This shouldn't be a surprise since it's still being run by Indonesian government whilst one of the poorest nation in Southeast Asia.

Back