Balinese Peoples Likeability - 21 Day Survey

How do you rate Balinese people in general?

• 5 Very nice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Average

• 1 Very Bad

• Total voters

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Hi All

I think that the forum has had negative feelings within it about Balinese people. I wish to establish whether this is a true ongoing feeling or just ‘moments’ people are having.

Would you all please rate what you think of Balinese people on the scale given.

:D 5 :D being basically you love the people and think they are very nice to get along with and :twisted: 1 :twisted: being they are greedy and devious and ‘not your cup of tea’. This poll will only run for 21 days.

As I am Balinese, I am perplexed by some of the remarks given in earlier posts about Bali greed etc. I have till now tried to stay neutral, however I now feel I need to challenge this. My rating is of course a 5. There are good and bad people everywhere, so remember when voting to take this into account and if you vote 5 it doesn’t mean perfection, as this cannot exist anywhere. Of course give reasoning for your vote.

I particularly look forward to the votes by certain members, so please to reiterrate - let me know what you selected.

This is not a thread for arguing the point, but just for stating it. No come back on anyone’s posts are needed and no slander of any members during your own post please

Forum Peace…. let's vote... :p

Best Wishes

Ni Luh

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
I voted 5 of course, my Balinese wife would kill me otherwise. So maybe it should have been less with those threats :lol:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jabber! Me too on both counts... voting 5, and as you say, "my Balinese wife would kill me otherwise."

This poll could be interesting.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
My wife is not Balinese (but she loves Bali) so I can vote freely. First, a vote from my head, 3, average, because I am realistic, and have experienced the island and its people for 20 years, warts and all.

But I also would like to cast another vote, from my heart this time, 5, because, yes, I also find the Balinese very easy to get along with (I even LOVE driving my "tiger" all over the island, including Denpasar...sometime :lol: ).

But the proposed scale being what it is, I will mark a 4.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
This is hard I love Bali but reading this forum over the last couple of months has jaded my view a little. Maybe I was wearing rose coloured glasses where Bali is concerned. I hope that is not the truth.

Can we vote seperately for Balinese and Indonesians. In my experience I have had more suspicous dealings with non Balinese who have moved to Bali after the tourist trade has flourished.

If we were talking of the Bali of the 80's I would vote a 6. But if we are talking today it will be a 3.

In saying that I still go to Bali twice a year, the bad will never outdo the good.

jill

Jul 30, 2005
Alexandra new zealand
my vote is a high 5

love BALI and love the Balinese , I have more trust in them & feel safer there than I do in parts of NZ

& not just the Balinise many of the smaller island are just as lovley , as are there natives

infact after this trip I realised I have better & more mates in Bali than I do back home :D they never ask or expect any thing of me other than my friendship

jorzbali

Oct 25, 2005
Sanur
And another 5, although from my own experiences I can’t deny there are some rotten apples, I choose to vote for the majority of lovely Balinese I know.

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
I also vote a high 5.
My favorite people on this entire planet are the balinese,truly the most kind loving ,gentle souls i have ever met .....anywhere,and i have been to many many places.
You see the drastic change the minute you travel from country to country,the friendly smiles'salamat paggi',every morning from EVERYONE to meet. This does not happen anywhere else i have been.
These balinese have the hardest of lives to deal with ,yet they have so much love to offer ,yes even to straingers.
Where else can a strainger walk alone through the rice fields and coconut trees deep in the remote villages of bali and get invites/greetings/smiles from all .(not even on the island of Java is this possible).
Gina Tyler

Lee

Nov 4, 2004
Bali
Generally speaking, I have given a 5.

Not because my husband is Balinese (I’d rate him 3 on a bad day, no just kidding, I think :roll: ) but because they have a good sense of humour :lol: . Also I have experienced both the tourist side and the down to earth village side of Bali and I do see a difference in attitude towards foreigners.

Lee

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I voted a 3. I do not believe any country, nation or people are very nice just because they were born there. I would not give a higher mark to any nation based upon this premise because I believe that inherentley all people have the same strengths and weakness of charactor.

Do I believe the Balinese overcome the weakness more than other peoples...No I do not. Do I think there are any more honest (or substitute and character trait you want) no I do not. What I do like is the lifestyle of the people compared to say that of a Kazakh (or an Englishman or a?) and what do I like about them. The ability to absorb life and keep smiling.

Trying to think with my head not with my heart.

lozza

Mar 9, 2005
FNQ OZ
I voted five.

I am neither married to or related to a Balinese but I find them, as a majority, very friendly and happy people.

Now if poll had a been about indonesians, as opposed to Balinese, I probably would have voted a three.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jimbo writes:

I voted a 3. I do not believe any country, nation or people are very nice just because they were born there. I would not give a higher mark to any nation based upon this premise because I believe that inherentley all people have the same strengths and weakness of charactor.

Do I believe the Balinese overcome the weakness more than other peoples...No I do not. Do I think there are any more honest (or substitute and character trait you want) no I do not. What I do like is the lifestyle of the people compared to say that of a Kazakh (or an Englishman or a?) and what do I like about them. The ability to absorb life and keep smiling.

Trying to think with my head not with my heart.

Jimbo! I think it's time to reverse gears! Thinking from the head (especially adorned with that silly hat) is not going to be an asset, when and if you move here. Switching gears, and thinking from the heart is what life in Bali is all about.

I do not believe any country, nation or people are very nice just because they were born there.

I couldn't agree more! Birth is just the beginning of what makes a Balinese, Balinese. Frankly, I am shocked that you don't understand this!

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Jimbo,

I do not know if you have ever been, lived in Bali. But regardless, my hat (funny or not) to you: you obviously are a wise man. :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Helen writes:

I voted with a 5. I can only vote from my experiences. I guess these are 1's 2's 3's and 4's in Bali, I just haven't met any of them

Amen Princess! And with all your years of hard work with the most impoverished Balinese, you for sure know the gut level essence of these wonderful people.

It's kind of strange in a way, but you and I both know that within the poorest
areas of Bali, we most often find the richest of people.

I don't know, but I think that Jorgy should give tintin his hat. :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
And in THEIR hearts and minds, YOU are a five.

And in the end of it all...THAT’S what makes the difference.

v_dors

Apr 23, 2005
Australia
The Balinese that are not involved in the tourist trade would definately deserve a "5". But as for the "rip off merchants", especially money changers :twisted: , well that brings down the rating to a "3" for me!