Balinese food ?

Gloria

The other day there was a tragic accident outside the clinic....one died instantly the other escaped with cuts and bruises. While attending to the latter with betadine and bandages someone else coped with the body in the road. Several volunteers helped at the accident scene and many onlookers ummed and arrred....discussing who would take what part home..after a lengthy discussion over rights (not rites) the dog was cut up and taken home for makan...is this a reflection of the growing number of folk who are living in extreme poverty a visiting tamu asked? No, its fairly normal in most villages...dog...or anging..is a delicacy...especially a black one...While the visiting tamu was clutching his stomach and heaving...we all laughed.....welcome to the real Bali...nothing is wasted...even a dead dog...How's your stomach Lise....can you think of a good recipe for this...keep those precious knives sharp my dear you never know.....G...

Ha ha

Though this is the first time I have heard of this in Bali and found it amusing at the shock of others. I have seen this in many countries, I have tried dog in Fuling in China and have witnessed it's cooking whilst in Laos and Cambodia. I enjoy retelling this story to many of my friends back in Melbourne and they are shocked!! It is quite nice actually but not as good as the guinea pig I ate in Peru

Balinese cooking

Must say my favourite is crocodile...ate plenty of that while on my two year trek round Oz in a decked out "64 Bedford bus...great time...mostly. I remember my Mother telling me that in the last war..they ate rats...anyone have a recipe for those...??

Fried Snakes

How about fried snakes? I had some at a warung near the airport. Very tasty, very crispy :eek:

ularsawah01b.JPG

OMG :shock: Does it taste like anything? I mean besides crispy.

Is it like potato chips? Or more like tortilla? LOL...

mwill said:
OMG :shock: Does it taste like anything? I mean besides crispy. Is it like potato chips? Or more like tortilla? LOL...

....well, I should say.... it tastes a bit like potato chips. And also very 'lalah' (hot) of course. According to Marilyn Monroe some like it hot, but then again I do not think that she has ever been to Bali.... :)

Tamu thoughts on dog fest

The dog was already dead. He came in useful. I believe that's the way roadkill is often seen in America too.

From a non meat eating tamu.

I am very fickle when it comes to food. I love chicken but only the white meat (breast) and no bone please!!! I hate it when people tell me to try this meat or that meat (dog, snake, eel, bugs) - "ooh it so good, it taste just like chicken" so they said :p

Hey if they all taste like chicken, then why bother :shock: :D Just eat the chicken.

[/list][/quote]

Re: Rat Recipe.... ok

Gloria said:
...rats...anyone have a recipe for those...??
rat.gif

Rat Entrecôte à la Bordelaise

- rats are skinned and eviscerated,
- then brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots,
- then grilled till tender and juicy.

How to Cure Rat Meat

This is probably best with 9 -12 well aged rats. First you need a crock that is big enough to hold the rats you want to cure. First make the brine.

For three gallons of brine, add to your crock:

1 1/2 lb. Kosher Salt,
5 oz. Sugar,
2 Tbs. Peppercorns,
1 Tbs. Whole Cloves
6 Bay Leaves,
10 Tbs. Pickling Spices,
2 Onions, Sliced ,
12 Cloves Garlic, crushed,
10 Small Hot Dry Red Chiles,

and enough cold pure water to make three gallons.

Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
Add rats, do not pack tightly, they need some room.
A half ounce or so of Nitrate is protection against the possibility of Botulism.
When the rats are in the crock, cover them with a plate, and put something on the plate heavy enough to ensure the rats will stay submerged in the brine.
Tie a cloth over the top of the crock to keep out bugs.
Store in a cool spot.
Turn the rats every few days. A scum of white mold may form on top, but that is normal.

The rats will be ready to cook in 2-3 weeks.

:p :)

Rat Recipe

Loved your recipe Ringo...but its hard to find a pot big enough to cook large rats in....maybe we could hire a cauldron....wonderful marinade...G...

Leave them poor rats alone

because they are smart. I heard some of them can even read and have net access. So if they read this, they might just turn the story around and eat US instead of US eating them, hehe :)

Re: Leave them poor rats alone

Lothar said:
because they are smart. I heard some of them can even read and have net access. So if they read this, they might just turn the story around and eat US instead of US eating them, hehe :)

Yeah, yeah, right.... but are they also smart enough to figure out that they might end up (after eating US) with BEB??? (Bali Expat Belly) :lol:

Hey Ringo... nice picture. You're as handsome as Harrison Ford who happens to be the older brother of Lothar. :p :D

ICweather

juskiff said:
Hey Ringo... nice picture. You're as handsome as Harrison Ford who happens to be the older brother of Lothar. :p :D

To quote a famous FA: "Thank you, thank you" ! :)

yes, changed the picture because temperatures now have dropped below zero at the lowlands where I live. This afternoon I was walking home and I was being bitten -without teeth- by an icecold wind. Fixed myself a hot chocolate as soon as I got home and called the missus. In Buleleng there was a little rain and it was stuffin' hot..... Kangen....

:cry:

Hey Ringo

And here we are...I'll give you the picture...OK...it's bloody hot ..the sweat trickles in rivers down your face...the mosquitoes are as big as houses...and vicious...the rats are on the move....theres thunder and lightning...but little rain for five days...we are back to watering the garden...and we are praying for more rain...please...and please God turn the heat DOWN...thankyou..G...

Gloria, I've got quite a stomach...hate to admit it but I grew up hunting...gutting, skinning deer, squirrels...you name it. I am outfitted however, with a culturally ingrained aversion to eating dogs so that will take some getting used to!

Dogs

Yes Lise me too. I remember how enchanted I was to find a litter of pups in a mountain village near here..and being the English dog lover that I am, couldnt resist a cuddle and stupid squeeky puppy play noises amid fits of laughter from the kids....I did offer quite a reasonable sum to purchase one of the pups for my daughter Claudia...but was told they are not for sale. Afterwards our guide pointed out,gently, that these were not ordinary pups but are kept and fattened for feasts later.It was their only source of meat in that mountain village. I snuck out of there with MY TAIL BETWEEN MY LEGS and tried to forget it. The thought of those little playful balls of fluff were destined for the pot was disgusting. But I too was raised on a farm and what is the difference I told myself, between a fluffy pup and a feathered chicken or come to that, the unborn foetus of that chicken....an egg.... Give me fish 'n chips any day.Yummy.....G...

Back