Balians and Para-Normals

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
It isn’t without a great deal of reservation that I embark on this topic. I already anticipate what some responses will likely be, but the events of yesterday are so intensely on my mind that I am willing to throw caution to the wind, and share some things that won’t settle well in the minds of those who have never experienced the “magic” of Bali.

As I’ve mentioned in a few past posts over the last several days, we are in the middle of preparing for our Melaspas ceremony for our new compound here in Bunutan. These preparations came to a head just this past Monday with our nanjeb, and I’ve already written on this forum about that.

Yesterday, I meet Ida Bagus Dharma from Sanur. He had a drawing by Lempad that he wanted to sell, and he was brought to me by a close Balinese friend, Pak Gusti, who is also an artist and teacher of art. Having sold several Arie Smit works for Pak Gusti in the past, when he learned that his friend wanted to sell his Lempad, he arranged to have him meet me and Eri at our house.

Unknown to me, and Pak Gusti offered no advance information, Ida Bagus Dharma is a well known Balian and para-normal from Sanur. In our compound, the daily arrival of Balinese and other Indonesians with things to sell is a part of our daily lives. It happens every day, and has so for many hears, so I was totally unprepared for his arrival.

For those who haven’t a keen understanding of the Melaspas ceremony, which in short is the dedication and “bringing to life” of new buildings, and especially a compound, the days before, during, and shortly after the ceremony itself are wide open for all sorts of influences…both good, and evil. Much like the tooth filing ceremony for a Balinese man or woman, this time is especially open…almost like a window that has never been opened before.

Business over the Lempad aside, I became increasingly drawn to this man who I’ve just met. Sitting at a table and having some coffee, he drew my attention to a great Balinese stone sculpture of a guardian that we have owned for many years. As I was sitting directly in front of it, it was polite for him to comment on it. What he had to say about it, its age of over 350 years, and the area in Bali it came from was of no surprise to me…this man knows his Balinese art…so what.

Growing more curious, and admiring his knowledge, I invited him into our holy room to hear what his thoughts might be about some of what we have always regarded as especially powerful sculptures that we own and are kept. Pusaka is the generic Indonesian word for such things.

He wasn’t in the holy room for more than a few seconds when his attention was drawn to an especially wonderful Majapahit stone Ganesha that we keep there. His words that followed stunned me.

He told me that it was this Ganesha that helped me to bring my mother to Bali, which she did twice soon after both Bima, and then not long after, Rama, was born. He told me that she was dead. She is dead, having died just before her third and final (moving to Bali) trip was scheduled. He told me that she was short, but that my grandmother was tall. Once again, true.

Understanding that I have never told my Balinese friend, Pak Gusti, for which I have sold paintings before, anything about my family or personal life, I began to get that eerie feeling of “Bali Magic.” There was NO way Ida Bagus could have known any of these specific details.

Back at the table, Ida Bagus took the pad of paper on which I had earlier written down the specifics of our business regarding the Lempad drawing. Quietly he sketched away, while I discussed some other things with Pak Gusti.

Finished with Pak Gusti, Ida Bagus showed me what he had drawn. He said to me, without any question, or reservation, “this is where you last lived in Amerika Surikat.”

It was a perfect map of the cul- de-sac in Okemos, Michigan where I last lived in the US before moving to Bali. I am not kidding. If I was still there, and needed to sketch out how to find my house there, it would be exactly what Ida Bagus had drawn. He had identified each of the only four houses that were there. Nobody in Bali, even my wife Eri, knew that I had ever lived in Okemos, Michigan, let alone, the specific geography of where I lived.

Then, he added more. He mentioned that I had a very dark skin “relative” that lived there with me. He pointed to his own brown skin and said, “darker than this.” That was the love of my life at that time, Leslie, who was indeed African-American. She wouldn’t move to Bali with me, and our relationship broke up because I was so compelled to move to Bali.

How do you feel when “confronted” with this kind of truth? I once used to feel scared, goose bumps, weird, a little violated, and surely uncomfortable. Not yesterday though. Yesterday, I felt wonderful and extremely happy.

During their visit, Eri had come home and after her mandi, she did the offerings around our compound. Hearing from the “edge of her ear” some of what we were discussing, she joined the discussion and Ida Bagus talked to her for yet another hour. When it was time for them to leave, I walked them out to the gate. I wasn’t really walking. It was more like I was weightless and moving without effort or resistance.

Last night, I slept very deeply and I had wonderful dreams of my grandparents, my mom and dad. I was a kid again, and I was enjoying those dreams of the good times. This morning, even before I spoke to Eri of my dreams, she told me that Ida Bagus had told her that five days before our Melaspas, my grandparents, followed by my mother and dad, will come to our compound.

I know, I know, just how crazy this all may seem. It’s easy enough to say I’ve gone totally “tropical” and will never recover. But, in all truthfulness, I don’t want to “recover.” I don’t want any of this to change.

While the greatest unanswered questions of mankind, those questions like, “why are we here, where do we come from, where do we go when we die” are likely not to be totally answered by living here in Bali, there is no doubt in my mind that here, at the very least, we can get as close as possible to those answers.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
It doesnt surprise me Roy, humans have 5 senses and i beleive there is a 6th sense, the sense of perception, a deeper seeing. I think we all have it we but we are not aware of it or didnt develop it or we didnt learn to develop it or we are not open minded to it.

trillions of universes within one , will we ever fathom them ?

well, your grandparents, father and mother will be there..how special is that and how happy can you get ?

all the best, Chilli

Nath

Jul 9, 2008
Hi Roy,
I for one am glad that you shared your experience. I am not sure if it is he 'magic' of Bali or the 'magic' of the world. I agree with Chilli, most of us, including myslf, are probably just not open enough to these experiences.

What a fantastic day you must have had. Good luck with your Melaspas.

Cheers Nath

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Enjoyed your post, Roy.
Thanks for sharing it with us. I do understand your reticence about doing that. Got a few goose-bumps myself.

I'm pretty certain that nobody can "explain" these things to everyone's satisfaction. Including me, with a whole bunch of "strange" Bali-related phenomena starting from several decades ago.

A slightly similar one to yours recalled something that happened to me in Australia about 40 years ago. I hadn't stepped foot on Bali, yet. I was a fairly stern skeptic at the time regarding various "psychics", "paranormal phenomena", etc. I was amazed by the "detail" this person provided, both at the time, and later, with the benefit of hindsight.

I've had my share of floating heads, "dogs" having "meetings" in the middle of the road, motorbikes starting themselves up, Balinese sarongs flying about in my house in Australia, "leyak"-related phenomena...

If we ever get arrested by the "psychic police", we might both end up in Ruma Sakit Bangli. (The main psychiatric hospital on Bali.)

Whatever.

What I've "learned" about this, as far as I know, none of it's hurt me, so far. Also, never show fear, even if you're afraid.

I know I know I shouldn't post stuff like this.
What the heck...where's that "submit button" again?

:p

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
If we ever get arrested by the "psychic police", we might both end up in Ruma Sakit Bangli.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never would this happen for us in Bali...BUT, back in the states, I think we could almost count on it! :p

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Dear Roy
Interesting post,thanks for sharing.
Have not posted in a verry long time.
Growing up in Indonesia My own father was heavy into sorcery,Sleeping in graveyards,possesion of stones with magical powers,powerfull gold needles placed under the skin of his arms...............................................

Then the reason my family left Indonesia,Black magic curse put on my entire family (myself,grandmother,mom,dad,uncle,aunt)
We shared a home with another family that disliked us. Wanted us all dead,verry bizarre things started happening to us.

:|

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hey Gina, where have you been? It’s good to have you back! When you have some time, a lot of us would love to hear what's going on in your neck of the woods!

I can’t recall having ever met an Indonesian, regardless of where in Indonesia they are from, without them being able to recall some stories of one strange event, black magic, or an encounter with Niskala. I posted this once before here on the forum…but maybe you missed it. It was first published in the February 29, 2008 issue of The Bali Times. If you, or others already read it, then apologies for the repetition:

The peace and tranquility of our little village of Bunutan was broken seven years ago with the construction project known today as the Royal Pita Maha and Kirana Spa. An essential part of this project were the numerous ceremonies deemed necessary to convince the large community that was residing on that holy ground along the Ayung River to move to another area that had been carefully selected for them. It was through these ceremonies that this desired result was achieved, and this community slowly made its way from the construction grounds to their new home. All their compounds, temples and markets were carefully dismantled and moved as well. There was only one problem I had with this whole affair. That was the simple fact that there was absolutely nothing on those grounds except jungle.

During the early process of construction, stories in our village would emerge that I then thought were rather imaginative and creative. Every so often, a child in our village would disappear for a day, and sometimes even two days, only to emerge looking exactly as they had been last seen, clean and fed, but with no memory or recall of where they had been. I found these tales immensely entertaining and enjoyable.

About half way through completion, this being some four years ago, I went on a walk with our oldest son Bima and our pembantu to visit the site and see the progress being made. Bima was four year old. We would do this from time to time, as the views from the dining room near the lobby are stunning. On this particular day, an event occurred that I still cannot reconcile in my mind, nor can those who also saw it unfold with their own eyes.

As we entered the half completed dining area through its large central doorway, Bima abruptly turned to his right and turned again to face the plain cement wall. He immediately started talking in a language I had never heard and he spoke directly at the wall just a foot in front of him. He would pause, as if listening and then talk some more. He was clearly having a conversation and would even occasionally break out with a giggle or a laugh at some of what he heard in return.

This spooked our pembantu so much that she just ran off, but two men from our village who were working in the room at that time stood their ground, their faces bearing the same look of amazement as I am certain was on my own face.

It was over with the same simplicity and abruptness as it had begun. Bima turned around and as far as he was concerned, absolutely nothing had happened. He hadn’t been talking to anyone. No amount of questioning or urging him to tell what had just happened produced answers. He was as confused about what our problem was, as we were about what we had just experienced.

I sat down with the two men on the unfinished concrete floor. “What language was that?” They had no idea. They had never heard it spoken either. “How long was he talking?” None of us could tell, as during the whole event it was a though time had ceased to exist.

Had my pembantu not run off, and had those two workmen not been there, I am certain I would have just shrugged this whole thing off as some brief hallucination, or some other reason my brain could accept as logical or probable.

As the following days came and passed, this story joined those other stories of unexplainable events that went on there all during the construction process. These stories were all viewed as positive events, testaments that the ceremonies had been properly conducted, and that balance and harmony between Niskala and Sekala had been achieved.

For me, that was a cathartic event. Since then, when I take walks down along the Ayung River, I’m not always convinced that what my eyes are telling me I see, is, in reality what I am seeing. And, just like all the Balinese who live in my village, I never go there at night.

Git

Jul 16, 2005
Dear Roy
Thanks once again a great article.......................
No I have not read this before,Interesting!

Born Indonesian I have always had an open mind to the fact that we are not alone here as humans,spirit creatures are all around. My dead Indonesian Grandmother "Siti" is my guardian Angel,she protects me everywhere i go on this planet,I have been to some extreme places most would not travel to Alone as a female.
Since my father passed aprox 12 yrs ago I have had visits from him,some of my other relatives have also seen him since he has died.One time I almost burned down my own house,lit too many candels then I fell to sleep.My dead fathers spirit managed to activate one of my smoke detectors that was mounted on the ceiling at the far opposite side of the house.The loud screaching sound woke me up.
He has entered many of my mothers dreams with messages. Funny She does not want to believe this sort of energy exists,she says"Dead is dead".Yet she has seen all this firsthand while we lived in Indonesia.In fact when there is a ceremony in bali I try and observe,I feel honored to get invited. While my mother runs 180 degree the opposite direction in fear!
The most interesting ceremony was done in the school for the deaf In Taman Grya(bali) many yrs ago,There was an exorsist done under the banyan tree,I was there to observe along with my uncle. My mother dissapeared once again.
She says its all black magic- and has drowned herself in Christianity.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Gina

While I am happy for you that you get comfort from your beliefs, I hope you won't mind me asking a question , and having posted your experiences here, I am sure you would expect some comment....

You say

One time I almost burned down my own house,lit too many candels then I fell to sleep.My dead fathers spirit managed to activate one of my smoke detectors

My question is what makes you beleive it was your dead father's spirt that activated the smoke alarm and not the smoke itself?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
“My dead Indonesian Grandmother "Siti" is my guardian Angel,she protects me everywhere i go on this planet…”

Gina, it’s interesting that you mention that. The second time I came to Bali, just for a visit, and several months before I moved here, I met my “guru” and Balian, Mangku Tony for the first time, and very much by accident. On that trip I brought my girlfriend at the time who being adopted, never knew her actual parents. They had died shortly after her birth.

She was able to know her grandmother though, and they were very close, up until she also died when my girlfriend was only 14. It was a terrible loss for her, and one she never really got over. She would constantly say that she felt her grandmother nearby.

Walking into Tony’s place for the first time with Leslie, Tony immediately asked us to sit down and he launched into this incredible discussion with Leslie about her grandmother…including stories about her, and describing her physical appearance in great detail. Tony is able to read auras, and he said that Leslie’s was the strongest aura he had ever encountered, and it was the protecting aura of her grandmother. I knew nothing of the details about Leslie’s grandmother, nor had either Leslie or I ever met Tony. So how in the world could he possibly know all of this?

This was a great catharsis for Leslie, and it changed her life forever. She no longer felt grief, or despair, or sadness over the loss of her grandmother as she came to understand that in fact, she is always there for her, protecting her, and guiding her.

Tony and I still talk about that day so long ago from time to time. He says he still has yet to encounter such an intensely strong aura.

Git

Jul 16, 2005
My question is what makes you beleive it was your dead father's spirt that activated the smoke alarm and not the smoke itself

Good question
My house has many room with many closed and open doors,that night all the doors were closed to all the rooms,I was in one room at the far end of the house. The smoke alarm was many rooms away. No way could this alarm detect the smoke from that far.

I light incense daily in almost each room I wander through getting rid of negative energy,no smoke alarms ever go off,even when i am passing underneath them with the burning incense.

Sumatra

May 4, 2008
Boston
I don't know if this qualifies as paranormal but here we go,

While my father-in-law was living he had a white cat, with bright green eyes. He loved this cat, it was his favorite among several that hung around, it followed him to each room he entered and stayed at his side.
When he died this white cat still wouldn't leave his side, not even to eat or drink. It continually kept coming back to his body meowing loudly. No matter how many times it was chased out of the room it would find a way back in to sit next to him, so eventually he was allowed to stay while my father-in-laws body was prepared for viewing and burial.
My wife and I were hard-pressed to make travel arrangements on such short notice and didn't arrive until after my father-in-laws burial. During our entire stay, this white cat hung all over me, no matter where I went it followed and either sat next to me or, right on my lap staring at me. Even when I could've sworn I closed our bedroom door before retiring for the night, I'd awaken at 2am to find him sitting on my chest purring contentedly.
Strangely enough, I'm deathly allergic to cats, except for this one for some reason I couldn't begin to fathom. Up until reading the experiences of others in this topic, I'd surmised there was a difference between the fur of cats in temperate climactic zones versus those in tropical climactic zones...but now I'm not so sure, since I really didn't have any contact with the other cats, only this one who would not back off. About two weeks after we left, this white cat disappeared never to be seen again.

The Don

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
A very interesting article to read Kadek, but in my opinion, it is more a proclamation designed to proffer self advancement…perhaps in pursuit of an advanced degree? :shock:

The author, while touching on this topic, immediately avoids it by his own words,

“I do not have time to discuss the idea of magic in any depth, but I would like to point out some characteristics of the “Law of Participation,” as Levy-Bruhl (1926) called this way of thinking.” I ask you, who, in their right mind, would even consider citing Levy-Bruhl? :cry:

“I do not have time?” :shock: :shock: An academic, without time? :p

This author, Hoyt Edge, also dismisses an amazing Western pioneer, who truly forged the path of understanding Balinese culture, namely, Fred Eiseman. Fred is “dismissed” by this author, Hoyt Edge, by these words, “several people have tried to make a classificatory schema of Balians…but their inconsistency points to the complexity of the use of this designation.” Fred is included amongst several others that Hoyt calls, “several people.”
There is NO classificatory “schema” of Balians in Eiseman’s book…Bali, Sekala & Niskala!

It is very easy for an academic to rise up, seize the work of earlier pioneers, and claim some new revelations. As for me, I will stick to what I learn from my family, priests, balians, holy men, and high priests. As for Hoyt Edge, I’m thinking of parking him right along side of the absolute worst anthropological work of Bali ever written, that being by Margaret Meade. :evil:

Kadek

Dec 6, 2005
Australia
Yes interesting observation, I thought it was interesting to read and people can be more informed or more confused. As for me, I grew up with one and knew several others, perhaps I cannot explain what it is like, or how relevant and understandable it is from Western point of view. But it is definitely part of who I am :D Living in Australia, I don't often feel spiritual or a sense of magic, but when in Bali I seems to be more tuned or more effected by this.

Regards
Kadek

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Kadek, the insights you shared were another topic of conversation with me and the high priest, priests, balians and holy men yesterday. You likely know the holy man from Tabanan, now about 90, and an incredible source of wisdom. He is an amazing man, and while I could say a lot more, perhaps I shouldn’t.

Always on my mind is our cousin, Wayan Dedik, now well into his full scholarship for a doctorate in ethnomusicology from the University of Illinois, Chicago branch. Like you, Kadek, he is a gifted Balinese, and has been given an opportunity that puts a powerful sense of responsibility upon him. He understands that he has a destiny, much like a young priest, who might be selected to be a priest, when as young as 14 years old.

As leader of our male gamelan, he played the lead drum. Since he’s been gone, there are two lead drums in our male gamelan…one that is played by another, and his, which sits quietly, (but not so quietly for those that can hear) on the floor of the bale.

This is not to be misunderstood as any sort of tribute to Wayan…not at all. Rather, it is only a recognition of his continual presence, not in body, but in other ways.

Surely, as you write, this is all much more than a part of who you are…rather, it is the essence of who you are. In a crude American saying, it is summed up like this…“you can take the boy out of the Bronx, but you can NEVER take the Bronx out of the boy.”