hafri

Sep 25, 2009
DENPASAR: Bali will issue a bylaw on foreign workers to control and monitor the number of foreign workers in the resort island.

A senior official at Bali manpower agency, Anak Agung Putra Adi, said Thursday that the bylaw was also aimed at providing a certain level of protection for local workers.

"The central government has the authority to grant permits to foreign workers while the provincial administration has the authority to extend these permits. Unfortunately, the central government has rarely consulted the local administration when it processes permits for foreign workers," he said.

Consequently, the local administration is often being left in the dark on the matter, which was another reason for issuing the bylaw.

As of January 2010, the number of foreign workers who had registered to extend their permits at Bali manpower agency was around 1,250. - JP

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It sounds fair enough, but do you think foreigners working in Bali are taking away local jobs? I always had the impression that foreigners who are working here are mostly running their own businesses and thus creating employment opportunities. With the cost of the working visa and the salary expectations for expats, I am sure companies who employ foreigners only do so if they have some kind of special skill or experience.

leandra

Feb 16, 2010
It sounds fair enough, but do you think foreigners working in Bali are taking away local jobs? I always had the impression that foreigners who are working here are mostly running their own businesses and thus creating employment opportunities. With the cost of the working visa and the salary expectations for expats, I am sure companies who employ foreigners only do so if they have some kind of special skill or experience.

i fully agree!

Once again, balis government is choosing the wrong direction.

Instead creating more and more restrictions for foreigners who bring experience and money to Bali, they better implement rules for creating a garbage system, or a road maintenance system or a anti rabies system( that works).

As tourists are western people, the need of western people working in bali is quite obvious.
Aprat from language problems( do balinese have english as mandatory language to learn in the schools?), its a different approach and service attitude local people cannot reach yet.
i also would not dare to work in a government or police office only for local people.
i wold just have not enough knowledge about them.

Sunny days
Leandra

sawbones

Nov 1, 2009
Hello,

I think you're seeking a level of evolved sophistication that doesn't necessarily exist for average Indonesians, nothing happening here can or should be viewed through the scope of Western standards.
Book learning doesn't garner much respect here but knowledge passed down from one generation to the next does however, the content of this type of learning doesn't exactly contribute to a "worldly" perspective.

sawbones

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Western tourists are not in the majority anymore. The nationalities are so diverse that you would need to employ those from each nation.

This is Bali and unless it can be proven that you have skills that cannot be provided by the Balinese then you should not work there. Businesses are a different thing as are retirees etc

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
yeah.. I think that's the fear the Bali government could come up to as more foreigners outnumbers the population of local villagers nowadays especially during tourists visit peak.