Back Packing

manga_ganga

Jan 10, 2005
Singapore
Hi All,
Living in Singapore...Planning to visit Bali next month....I interested doing back packing in Bali..This is my first experience in B.P.
Can you people,help me in sending some places or hotels or sites..which could guide me in doing this...

Thanks in advance
Ganesh

manga_ganga

Jan 10, 2005
Singapore
Thanks Bert! That's Informative..he he :)
I read from news that bali was not affected by tsunami...Any one know that people in Bali are safe.....and quite?

G

If you want info about backpacking you should buy the lonely planet book for Bali and Lombok. It tells you everything you need to know about Bali.
or go to this link for lots of info about Bali.
http://www.baliguide.com
It is also a good idea to learn some Indonesian and this link is good for that: http://home.mira.net/~wreid/bali_lng.html
If you are on a budget the book "South-East Asia on a Shoestring" is good to have and has info on all the countries in that area.

manga_ganga

Jan 10, 2005
Singapore
Thanks man! That's usefull.
I am planning my vacation in Bali next month (Feb).From all your post and web sites,I found that Feb is not season for Bali..Advice me whether I can plan my vacation next month....

Thanks to all in Advance

G

hey...
february is ok, but not perfect for bali.... the rain season ends in march... for how long do you plan to stay in bali? so if you stay for feb and march i think it´s ok, cause it does not rain all the time... but if it´s possible for you to plan your vacation later then do it! then you have all your sunny days for sure :)
have fun... maisha

Cassienne

Aug 28, 2004
New Zealand - Bali soon!
Hey Manga Ganga
The rainy season is okay, you get plenty of sun between the rainfalls, and there's way less tourists at that time of year. Bali is a really easy place to back pack in, it's all set up for tourists! People everywhere are willing to help out with anything you need. Public transport/s a pain, but you get used to it, and if you have a bit of money or have others with you, you probably don't even need it.
the lonely planet is really good for accomodation and resturants, but it's not that excellent on the rest. Still, you can find out almost anything from locals or agents.
Beware the arak!
Cassienne

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
The "seasons" in Bali are not all that predictable these days, especially in the last five years or so.

The "dry" has been longer than usual, meaning the "wet" is late. Like right now, for example. This is supposed to be the "wet", but there really hasn't been all that much rain...yet. And so far, when its rained, there hasn't been a real lot of it. (I'm writing this just as we had a downpour that lasted less than an hour.)

As for Lonely Planet guides - they're OK for a bird's eye view of things, but don't rely on them. They're typically out-of-date by the time they're printed. You can get much more detailed (and up-to-date) information from sites like this one and even Lonely Planet's own Thorntree Forum.

And as far as the local rocket fuel arak is concerned, you'd probably be wise to avoid it, if possible. There are too many greedy locals mixing methanol (and god knows what else), with it, which is not good. Forty or so locals from Sanur wound up in hospital on New Year's Eve. And there've been deaths associated with it in the last couple of years. Unless you're certain the stuff hasn't been defiled (and frankly, I don't know how one can tell without maybe going blind first), steer clear. Commercial arak is probably OK, but even there, with the virtually total lack of quality control in this country, there are no guarantees. Even some of the Bintang beer is adulterated, but usually just watered down.

Hope you have great experiences when you're here.
8)

Cassienne

Aug 28, 2004
New Zealand - Bali soon!
Hi Sanurian!

They mix methanol into arak??? That's unbelievable! Methanol kills you fast, and blinds you faster. I'll tell my friend, she's always drinking arak, but I can't stand the stuff, or the hangover, so I avoid it.

As for the season, yeah, I thought we weren't getting a whole lot of rain, certainly not to the extent I was prepared for. In Denpasar we got a heap at the beginning november, but haven't had too much since. I love the thunderstorms and lightning that come with the rain. And they last for hours and hours.

Cassienne