natta

I currently have indovision with the australian network but would ideally like to have access to some of the australian channels ie: ten, win and prime. I have read a little about it but am getting confused with exaclty what is required. Can anyone advise how to do this, thanks

I have lived here for many years, and dont miss all the crap that comes out of cable in Australia. My suggestion is cancel Indovision, and read a book, or in the case of wanting to know the current news, read the papers online.

Natta, Scouts advice is pretty good with respect to Australian domestic TV, the adds will send you insane, let alone the programming.

But as you asked, its possible but not a cheap proposition and its networked, not 7,9,10 as in capital city. It probably be of benefit to others to have bit of a rundown searchable on the forum, so here goes.
There are 3 options, Foxtel, Aurora and Vast. Technically all 3 require a card registered at an address in Australia. For Foxtel and Vast there are no cracked cards and never likely to be. Cards can be found for Aurora but will expire late next year.

You are entering the realm of Aussie big brother tv, heavily controlled by the government for the benefit of the country tv networks and media barrons. In fact to the benefit of everyone but the Aussi viewer.

Dish: To receive these signals you need a fairly big dish, huge by local indovision and Australian foxtel standards. Big dishes are expensive anywhere in the world, good quality ones even more expensive. These signals are KU band, the accuracy of the curve is very important, the surface must be solid not mesh. Here we are normally restricted to dishes made up of pressed steel petals rather than high spec ones formed from a single sheet of aluminum.

2.4 meter dishes can be obtained and will work most of the time, these are the minimum. The KU band signal resonates in water and thus suffers from water absorption in the signal path to your dish. This shows up as signal drop outs through heavy cloud up to a total loss of signal in wet season rains. 3.2 and 4 meter plus dishes don't suffer so much but you have gone from a 10juta to 40 juta dish.

Decoder:
Foxtel provide this with the subscription, but only in Australia and they retain ownership of it. I don't think they will willingly supply signal to Bali as it breaks international communications agreements, although you see expat pubs often have it on. I assume registered down south the sent up. 7,9 and 10 may be available in the Foxtel package depending on where they installed it. I believe recently the control and encryption was upgraded to marry the card to the Foxtel supplied decoder box, and also stop card sharing between multiple receivers (dreambox etc)

For Aurora (free to air) you need to by your own irdeto decoder, and get a Optus issued smart card. They will enable this for the channels in the area you register it providing you can prove you live there. This must be in the bush in a recognized location which receives no terrestrial tv signal. You can get cracked cards for this but the whole signal is being replaced by a new secure system at the moment and most likely be off air by the end next year. 7,9,10 are represented here by country broadcasters who are basically aligned with them. ie, WIN with 9, GWN with 7. ABC and SBS in most timezones.

For Vast, the new free to air service,you need to register the card in Australia, either east or west. The signals are HD, this system is still not fully operational but there's lots of channels working, Aurora and more. Again 7,9,10 are represented through regional broadcasters. The receivers are made by only one company and cost 270 AUD. You can register them somewhere that has terrestrial TV but you will only be enabled for ABC and SBS. They are not likely to enable your decoder if you tell them its in Bali but who knows?

Here is a starting point to google from https://www.myvast.com.au/channels

The there one last thing to consider, the one of the 2 co-located satellites supplying the signal (optus C1) is pretty old, there is an Optus C10 in preparation that will launch (I think) sometime next year. The signal we receive in Bali is not supposed to be here, the birds are designed to beam the signal only over the desired footprint around the mainland. There every chance any new satellite will have a sharper footprint and effect what spillover we get in Bali. Possibly the small lobe designed in to service Christmas Island may be what saves the day.

Finally to avoid confusion, "Australia Network" as you see on Indovision and Telkom vision is freely available but carried on totally different international satellites, requiring different receiver setup and dish about 1.8mtr, all up about 1 juta for a system.

Check the forum adds, Esther has some gear advertised thats does Aussi TV. And the only local satellite/TV dealer I have met so far who has a clue about KU band gear is the one in Jln Nagajayata near Seminyak.

Have you seen the ad on page 19 in the Bali advertiser? Not sure how good it is though?
I think you're referring to the Free Satellite TV ad in Bali Advertiser (it's not on page 19, at least not in the last two issues).

The business is called Nagajayata and has a showroom in Jl Nakula 168, Seminyak. Same place as mentioned by hca above:
...the only local satellite/TV dealer I have met so far who has a clue about KU band gear is the one in Jln Nagajayata near Seminyak.
It's website doesn't tell you much (nagajayata.com).

I had their Free Satellite TV system installed about six months ago (approx Rp 1,200,000).
That included a 1.8 metre mesh-type dish, a metal pole, concrete, a Hansen KD-3 decoder, Geotrack GP580+ antenna controller and a remote control.

I've never been able to get all of the "250 channels". However, many of them are in India, Pakistan, the Middle East, Africa, China, etc, and not in English.
A few of the European ones broadcast in English. There are no dedicated sports' channels and MTV is the Chinese version.
Oh, and no dedicated movie channels, but since I download movies off the internet, that's not a problem for me.

My favourite stations include Australia Network, BBC World, NHK World (Japan), Arirang (Korea), Al Jazerra and Russia Today. Some of the Indian music channels are OK, in small doses.
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that Indonesian TV stations are much clearer, although there's hardly anything to watch.

Note also that you own all the equipment. Having said that, I lost the signals to a few stations a few weeks ago. I have a large mango tree in my garden and thought it might interfering with the reception. Had it cut back a bit with no improvement. Called the suppliers to come and check it out. They re-aligned the dish, charged Rp 70,000 and all was mainly good again...for about one week. I think the mesh dish, (instead of a solid metal one), is responsible.

I've considered re-aligning the dish myself, but can't find any meaningful instructions on how to go about it. Watching the two tech guys go about their job, it didn't look all that difficult (if you know what you're doing).

Overall, out of a maximum of 10 coconuts, I'd give it an 8.

:icon_e_ugeek:

Hi JohnnyCool,

I will be back in 3 weeks if you want a rundown on adjusting it, Pm me if you want and we can hook up.

Most likely its gone off because it was not tightened up properly when they finished adjusting it. Good for 70K callbacks maybe?

Have a look if there's any give (it slips) in rotating the mount on the pole, or the tilt. The other place is the clamp with 2 bolts on the positioner tube. There a lot of force when the dish is moved at the extents and if both bolts are not really tight it slips along the tube. If this is the cause you find you can find the sats manually with the positioner remote left or right, but it cant find any of the programed positions itself. If its off alignment now, playing with it cant hurt but if everything is loose your back to square 1.

Unfortunately these dishes are made on the cheap and there a lot of slop in them on the rotation points but mesh is as good as solid for these international feed C band satellites.

As for 250 channels, about all you get from one of these setups is about 6 news channels in English. Plenty of other stuff if you speak the appropriate language. HBO, ESPN, Discovery etc is all there but its encrypted to a system used exclusively by broadcasters as feeds for Indovision, Foxtel etc.

Still works for Neyphi though.

@hca

Thankyou for your kind offer! That would be brilliant.

Thinking about it last night, I plucked up the courage to try the left-right buttons on the positioner and at least BBC World News came back.
The irony is that when I was a young teenager in the 1960s, a friend of mine and I built a small backyard radio-telescope. And now I can't adjust a satellite antenna.

Will send a PM to you.

:apple:

Oops yes thats the one Johnny. I have read the new copy but didnt realise i was reading an old one in the cafe. Does it 7,9 and 10 from Australia? My wife would be keen if so.

Hi, gary_leighton
Does it 7,9 and 10 from Australia? My wife would be keen if so.
Sorry to disappoint both you and your wife.
Australian Network is a poorly funded version of the ABC for international audiences.

Typical programmes include stuff like:

ABC News
Dateline
Newsline
Catalyst
Poh's Kitchen
Sea Patrol
Killing Time
The Gruen Transfer
Crownies
AFL matches
Various children's programmes
English Bites

According to nagajayata, other Australian channels are available. My understanding is that they'll set them up for you but you have to deal with any subscription cards involved. (I don't know that works.)
I suggest you call and get them to explain in detail what they have to offer.

For any one interested here is a program guide website for the free to air TV on the Australian Domestic satellites.

Refer to my earlier post, you need the equipment described because these satellites operate on different frequencies than the normal " 250 free channels" offerings most people install for around 1 juta. The seller mentioned in other post in the thread does not clarify what equipment is for what channels on his website.

Note you need to select at the top right which state your decoder is to display the channels its allowed and the correct local viewing times in that state.

TV Guides - Sat TV Guide

Last edited:
Hello natta I got a foxtel Australian Dish 128 radius for sale.
Channels 7,9,10,sbs,nitv together 7 channels for Rp 7000.000 neg.

Hi Esther, can you tell me how this works ie: do I need a monthly subscription after purchase. Thanks

For the antenna with the 200 + channels + BVN you could but not necessary if you like to watch movies /sport soccer yes there is a subscribtion of Rp 300.000 per mnd.
The provider guy I call An he start it up with a special card in the box for the nex mnd.
But if you dont wont a subscribtion you got your normal indo channels ect.
The Australian satelite is free No subription
So if you purchase the antennas + the boxes is all yours,you pay only the extra subscription to the provider.
Also when you got any troubles with the channels, just call him an he fix it for Rp 50.000 for you.
Its still a good value for your money because you can watch different channels an with the extra subribtion you can watch movies/sport.
An with the Australian channels you can watch NRl,AFl with the season an your normal 7,9,10 channels so your up to date with Australia.

Back