Another Newbie

Rog

Mar 15, 2006
NorCal
Greetings,
I found your site recently, liked it and decided to join. I thought a little introduction was appropriate. I’m a 56 year old retiree living in Northern California on forty remote acres. It’s more like Oregon than Hollywood. Married and separated with a cat Hercules and two dogs Steely and Dan. My most recent day-job was a fish culturist for the state of California, raising millions of little fish. My non-day-job is sculptor. I’ve traveled a bit. Europe twice, most of North America, a little of Central and South America. I had never been to Asia until a month ago. I spent a week in Cambodia with friends who live there. Then three days in Java and finishing with a week in Bali. This stay in Bali had a huge impact on me. It felt like home and the people felt like family. I didn’t want to leave and I want to get back as soon as possible. I expect to return in December for at least two months. After that I can easily see myself living half-time in Bali and perhaps someday full-time. When I crunch the numbers it’s doable, even on my limited income. Amazing! The numbers do not work for Hawaii or Italy or Scotland or my other favorite places.

Ergo, here I am.

Rog

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Welcome Rog,

Where are you living in California? I did fieldwork a few decades ago up in the Orleans area. Are you anywhere up near there? Good luck on your aspirations (a good word to learn if you are going to live in Indonesia) for life in Bali.

Rog

Mar 15, 2006
NorCal
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not quite as remote as Orleans. My place is ten miles northeast of Potter Valley or about thirty miles northeast of Ukiah. Its on the road to Lake Pillsbury.
I too did a little field work in the Orleans area and up at Happy Camp. I was counting fish. What were you doing?
Where exacfly are you living now and what's it like?

Rog

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Rog said:
Greetings,
It’s more like Oregon than Hollywood. Married and separated with a cat Hercules and two dogs Steely and Dan.
Rog

Welcome Rog - sounded there for a minute that you married and then separated the cat :lol: but I know what your mean.

All the 'going to be expats one day' know where you are coming from. I started going to Bali in 1981 and one day would love to spend 6 months there in the year at least.

Anyway welcome again - new blood is always good.

Tina

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
I was doing a study on minorities and education looking at how ethnic identity affected the learning process.

I'm in Sumbawa now. I love it although my family prefers to live at our house in Bali. There's some information on Sumbawa on this forum.

When you say counting fish, just what exactly were you doing? Anything that is transferable over to here?

Rog

Mar 15, 2006
NorCal
Hi Tina,
I have on occasion separated the cat….from the trouble she was in. I can see where a comma would have been helpful in my original sentence. I’m not so sure about the blood. This 56 year old stuff sometimes doesn’t feel so new.

Yo Bruce,
I checked out your web site. Looks like you’ve gone a few steps beyond Bali. When I get back to Bali I’ll be sure to come visit your island.
‘Counting fish’ is shorthand for population studies of specific fish species. In this case we were determining the spawning success rate of Chinook salmon on an unnamed trib of the Klamath River. This isn’t my area of expertise but it was an excuse to get out and do something different. Most of my skills are in fish culture, turning mommy and daddy fish into thousands of babies. That’s the easy part. Keeping them alive and growing is the hard part. I don’t know if it’s transferable. If some folks want to raise some fish for food or sport I would be delighted to help. While in Bali I noticed an extensive irrigation system for the rice. An aquaculture program can easily be integrated into the existing system. Just need a little concrete and plumbing. An added benefit is that the water that leaves the fish holding area contains a high nitrogen fertilizer. Do you know someone who is interested in raising fish?

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Definitely stop by the island.

The fish thing is just a thought. A fellow villager raises fish in a pond (I've never seen any of this mind you) and then sells them to folks to eat. He was trying to interest me in it, but it seems like it would be very difficult to do well.