An Observatory for Bali

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I am interested in trying to build an astronomical observatory somewhere in Bali. One that's open to the public (preferably for free).

I have skills as a telescope-maker and would love to hear from anybody who might be interested in a project like this.

I have absolutely no desire to make money from it...I just see that there isn't one yet and maybe it's about time there was.

Anybody interested? (I'm not asking for donations of money or anything like that...at least, not yet.)
:?:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
You've got to be kidding. Considering all of your previous posts about Bali, you want us to believe this!!??

Your observatory, thinking just for a second that you are serious, would be better placed on Nusa Penida.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi Davo

I'm thinking of something like an 8-10" reflector. Nothing too ambitious, although I built a 16" monster years ago (with a lot of help from my friends). Actually I'm surprised that anybody has expressed any interest so quickly. I'm impressed.

I note that you're in Adelaide. Back in the 1970's I was involved for a while with the Astronomical Association of South Australia as well as other groups such as the British Astronomical Association, the American Meteor Society, the American Association of Variable Star Observers, the Astronomical Society of NSW, etc. I had personal access to the University of Melbourne's Observatory for a year (I managed to wangle that because I worked for their Department of Computation running the biggest civilian computer in the southern hemisphere at the time). I've also spent time operating planetariums in both Sydney and Melbourne. Anyhow, never mind about that.

At this early stage, there's not a real lot I can say just yet. I'm just floating the idea around. Someone suggested contacting the local University - their main campus these days is on the Bukit (near Jimbaran). There are no "ideal" sites for astronomy on Bali - that doesn't matter. I'm not talking about some hot-shot research facility - just a small "eye-in-the-sky" venue for people with a fascination/interest in space.

Keep in touch. Send me a PM and I'll keep you posted of any developments. And thanks for your offer of support.
:D

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
For Roy:

...You've got to be kidding. Considering all of your previous posts about Bali, you want us to believe this!!??...

The simple answer, amigo, is yes. (See - you don't know everything, after all.)

I am serious about this - if you'd like to help, then help. Don't make things more difficult. It ain't necessary.

And however you've "interpreted" those previous posts of mine about Bali is your problem. I've always pushed envelopes, so to speak. If my observations don't meet your standards, so be it.

You should believe me when I say I have no interest whatsoever in making money out of this (if it happens). Why? Because I don't make up lies.

I welcome any help you can give to this project. For example: If you or your connections have any pull with Universitas Udayana to set aside a small plot of land to erect a dome (to house a telescope), that would be wonderful. In the next couple of weeks, I will approach them myself and see what happens. Of course, that's not the only potential site. Maybe I'm just being selfish and even lazy because the Bukit is not too far away from where I live. But it could be anywhere...
8)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Phil, I guess my serious suggestion completely escaped you, i.e. my suggestion that you consider Nusa Penida, specifically the mountain in the center of the island, as a possible location for this observatory. The advantage is that this area of Bali is relatively pollution free, with nice crisp and clear night skies.

The man who owns the very top of this mountain is my guru. There he has built a temple and a retreat for priests and high priests to take a break and do some meditation in complete solitude. Knowing him well, I would think he would welcome an observatory within his complex. The downside is of course the remote location. But, then again, most observatories are in remote, relatively pollution free locations for obvious reasons.

If you are interested I could give you his phone number. PM me if that is the case.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Sorry, Roy.

I thought you were joking. Thanks for the contact offer, I appreciate that.

My "dream" of an observatory on Bali has nothing to do with pristine skies. More a place where ordinary people can can access a modest telescope. Nothing whatsoever to do with a "research facility" where seeing conditions are of paramount importance.

That's one reason why I figured the Bukit campus could be a suitable location. Nusa Penida is not a user-friendly location.
:)

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Phil,
Any progress with the Observatory-plans? What kind of telescope would you consider getting? A pure observing-telescope like a dobsonian/reflector or a motorized version? Build it or buy it? Meade and Celestron has a few dealers in southeastern asia but none in Indonesia as far as i know. Closest and safest would probably to get it from either Australia or Hongkong. A motorized schmidt-cassegrain around 8" would be suitable for a small observatory not merely for observing but also photography or "ccd-video"-tours. The great trend of stacking and sorting planetary images taken with a philips touchcam into one crisp shot would also be intresting, but on the otherhand, a simple dobsonian and a great narrative teacher could be enough if it's suppose to be for the public. A friend of mine runs an observatory both for semi-professional use during the winter and for school-classes and tourists who come and visit during the summer.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi Tommy

Thanks for your input.

I was thinking of something like a fast 8/10" reflector, built here with voluntary labour. Building a mirror here is OK in principle...getting it silvered or aluminised is another matter. Silver-coated mirrors have a very short life (especially, I would think, on Bali). And I have no idea who could aluminise a mirror here without screwing it up. Meaning that if such a mirror was built here, it'd have to be sent to Australia for the final coating and then sent back. And for sure, that would mean expensive.

An alternative would be to buy a completed mirror and make/assemble all the rest in Bali. Probably cheaper in the long run. The other alternative would be to buy a completed telescope overseas and ship it here (even more expensive).

The more I think about this "project", the more difficulties arise. Given that my main intention is to build a small public observatory, issues of where to site it, who would look after it, who would run it, security, parking, etc, arise. Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew.

The last alternative is that I get/make one myself, like a very portable Dobsonian design, drum up some interested people and move both the telescope and people to anywhere on the island for "Star Parties" (or whatever). While that's not true to the spirit of my dream, it might be the most practical solution in the end. What do you think?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Your idea of an observatory on Bali is most commendable and rather ambitious. Of course, an astronomical observatory in Bali is far from ideal, but since your purpose is not to do research, but simply to open few Balinese (and expat) eyes to the wonders of the heavens, it would be most appropriate any place on the island (and, as you mention, what a good excuse for a beach party on a remote beach!).

I understand that Denpasar officials are presently reviewing a proposal from Newman Bio Marine Pte Ltd., to build a 10,000 m2 public aquarium project in Sanur. So, why not a small observatory? It would make a unique attraction, on a par with the Bird and Reptile Parks, and the Aquarium. Since a large percentage of the tourists come from the northern hemisphere, what a great opportunity to discover a new part of the celestial sphere. That would make for a great attraction. Of course, now we are talking $$$.

I cannot give you any advice on optical telescopes, as you seem to have a wide experience in the field. I have never used a telescope in my work, much less built one. I only used satellite platforms for x-ray astronomy (My experiment, HXX, on ANS (the Astronomische Nederlandse Satelliet), launched August 30, 1974, discovered a new astrophysical phenomenon: the x-ray busters). However, when everything is said and done, I believe you would be ahead of the game buying a commercially available telescope, either an 8” reflector, or Schmidt-Cassegrain. Since I believe your main interest is to look at the moon and the planets and their satellites, I would favor a Schmidt-Cassegrain. For deep space, a Dobsonian reflector would be ideal. You can get either type, new ones, in the US for under $1,000 + shipping. I would think you could do better in Australia (but I have no idea about prices there, compared to the US). Maybe Davo could be of help there? I am sure you have already checked eBay: they have fabulous prices there also. Again shipping may be costly, and what about the Indonesian customs?

Good luck. Whatever it turns out to be, it’s sounds like a great worthwhile project.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Thank you Daniel for your encouraging comments.

You touched on something that's been at the back of my mind for quite a while: to try and interest the Bali government in this with the selling point that it would and could be a unique "tourist attraction". I'm aware of some amateur astronomers who have come to Bali in the last couple of years, lugging their telescopes and cameras to enjoy the southern skies. I'm also aware that their numbers are not astronomical (pardon the pun).

Another thought, but this is quite away from the original spirit of the "project", is the possibility of a planetarium (but they cost lots of money). Maybe Planet Hollywood could install one - great location right next to Kuta. Hmmm - I'll keep that in mind.

I built a small radio telescope once with a friend of mine in Sydney back in the 1960s - it worked fine but radio telescopes aren't very interesting to the average person. Sitting around listening to a radio-buzz tuned into the wavelength of Hydrogen ain't all that riveting.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Does anyone now about customs and approx. fees/percentages? I would do a very rough calculation to prevent any surprices. Both Australia and Hongkong have dealers for Meade and Celestron. Hongkong might be abit cheaper...

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Ya...We have had some bad experiences with imports. The duty on many items brought into Indonesia runs 50%. Not only do we sell out of our gallery, and through eBay, but we occasionally buy as well.

We import through the same company we export, and with our imports there is little, if any value, and for certain, no insurance, or we are otherwise cut at the throat.

Business in Indonesia is always risky. In many ways, that is part of the charm.