allow me to introduce myself

anicca

Aug 28, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Hello and greetings from Japan!

I am a Canadian married to a Japanese man. We are about to embark on a very exciting and scary (in a good way ;))adventure: moving to Bali :!:

The plan (for the moment) is to find land (we have a friend to assist in this respect) and build a small guesthouse type accommodation along with a yoga studio.

We know that it will be a challenge and also that there is the chance to fail miserably but we are willing to take that chance to improve the quality of our lives and hopefully, improve the lives of others along the way.

Future plans include a culture school where guests can learn the local language, music, dance, culture, and food. BUT! I am getting way ahead of myself already :roll:

I have been perusing the forums for several weeks and I apologize in advance if I ask questions that have already been answered.

We will arrive in the last week of September and we have been tossing around several ideas as to what our first move should be.....one idea is to establish a base as soon as possible. The second is to spend a month in a camper type vehicle touring the island, scouting locations and getting acquainted with things in general.

Do camping type vehicles exist in Bali?  Do people (locals/tourists/expats) camp? Would we better off renting an apartment or house and renting a car for a month?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a real estate company or person with whom we can correspond?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

I hope to meet you all in person someday :)

Kira

London

Aug 28, 2006
Yes
Hi Anicca, I'm a newbie as well, so welcome to the both of us.

I've been going to Bali for the past 10 years and have finally made the decision to move there within 2 years, so I suppose we're in a similar position.

Personally I think your best bet is to stay in a cheap hotel until you find a house/apartment to rent and rent a car and take your time travelling the island to look for a location you want to set up your venture. Nowhere is too far that you cant make it back the same day/night. And anyway you'll always find a cheap place to stay overnight.

I've never seen a campervan on Bali, probably because it would be unbearably hot to live in one and maybe not too safe. But that doesnt mean they dont exist in Bali!!

I'm sure someone a lot more knowledgeable than myself will be able to advise you on the property side of things, but one thing I would advise is that YOU do the business side of things, because according to my Balinese friends, there's Local price, Tourist price and Japanese tourist price (being the most expensive).

See you in Bali 8)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Let me be blunt in my answer. :) Based on your post, you know less than nothing about Bali, and therefore you are running surely toward total failure and great disappointment. You are trying to "chew too much at once." My humble advice is to take things one at a time.

First come to Bali with no preconceive ideas about your future plans and see for yourselves, with big open eyes, ears and heart. Then you will be able to move to make a decision as to the wisdom and practicality of your present plans.

PS. There are no camping grounds, camping vehicles in Bali, and expats do not camp (but I am sure one or two must have tried at one time).

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Hi Annica, welcome-Selamat Datang- to the forum.
nice to hear your plan ... and "I´m jealous, than i must waiting for a long time for moving to Bali. I think you will be nice time in bali and good experience overthere. As mixculture-couple i have been living in Spain (not my country, neither my husband)... and it was very very very good for us... than both of us was foreigner there... and we learn each other more about "Solidarity between Culture".
I´m sure, that´s you get best informations from EF members here.
-Dyah

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Welcome Anicca and London,

I am not an expat living in Bali. I have been going to Bali since 1981.

I must say I agree with Daniel with respect in moving to Bali. Take things slowly, one step at a time. Come to Bali for a few months, move around staying at different places. Get a feel for the people and the way of life in Bali. Talk to some expats one on one.

The forums are a great way to persue ideas and opinions but they are only 'that persons' experiences based on their situation.

In saying all this I wish to the best in whatever you decide to do.

Regards

Tina

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Welcome Annica - make a base in the South - east in Sanur or west the Seminyak area (Umalas, Canggu) - or Central (Ubud). Most expats are in those areas and you'll want to network. Taaaaaaaaaaaaake your time. Don't invest $ in real estate till you know you will stay. You can rent just about anything for short or loooooooooooong term.

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
Welcome to the forum Annica

Daniel, you are spot on.! Take it easy! Bali is totally different when you live here or are a tourist only. Take daniels advice. Before you do anything rent and have a good look around and learn as much as possible.
Remember:In Bali you can turn a big fortune into a small one!

anicca

Aug 28, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks very much for the quick replies. I really appreciate the advice. I should tell you that I have no intentions of getting off the plane and purchasing the first bit of land I see. I suppose the ambiguity of the internet and my writing style might make it seem that way.

We do have a date May 2007, by which we will decide to either purchase land or consider another location (we have a back up plan).

We were hoping to do a camping type month because it is a great way to see things, meet people and get acquainted. I didnt think it would be possible, but then again there is always the chance so it doesnt hurt to ask.

We will be staying with friends in Seminyak and Ubud for the first while but we will want to move into a long term rental. I dont know all of you yet, but my urge to move into my own residence has more to do with the fact that I am a yogi and my husband is studying to be a buddhist monk. Hotels arent always conducive to the kind of morning/evening rituals that we both have. And being a guest in someone else's home can also interfere with our studies/practices at times.

I guess I should add that we arent thinking that Bali is the place where will get rich. We have no illusions about this. We are interested in quality of life rather than quantity of dollars/rupiah/yen in the bank.

We will be taking our sweet time about things! I promise! I appreciate the cautionary advice!

Positively yours,

Kira

anicca

Aug 28, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Re: RE: allow me to introduce myself

Dyah said:
As mixculture-couple i have been living in Spain (not my country, neither my husband)... and it was very very very good for us... than both of us was foreigner there... and we learn each other more about "Solidarity between Culture".

-Dyah

Amen on that! We cant wait to be in a country where we struggle equally. I love Spain...now I am craving olives!

Thanks for the welcome.

orang gila

Jul 6, 2006
Bali
anicca said:
and build a small guesthouse type accommodation along with a yoga studio. Kira

Like your idea for a Yoga studio, have a friend in Bali at the moment looking into the same or similar thing, If you're interested, I could give you her details.

I can remember back when we decided to make the big move to Bali, most of our friends thought we were totally bonkers, but we'd had enuf of the corporate B/s and were excited.

Plenty of pitfalls, a few nightmares, but all in all, it's a wonderful life.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
In Indonesia you really don't need to 'camp'. There are lots of places to stay that are inexpensive.

You could still follow your camping idea of touring around for a month, but instead of using a tent or van, find losmens and homestays. They are literally everywhere, even in less touristy areas there is pretty much somewhere you can stay if you ask. You will meet more people and start getting more of a feel for Bali that way.

Interesting that you have your hearts set on a life in Bali when you don't seem to have much experience of Bali itself.. can I ask, why Bali?