All the newbies....

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Come on I see a new person joins often, yet they don't really say much, so come on those that are new or have been reading & never writing, please add some comments as your input is also required!!!

Come on...... :lol:

G

Well I never was on this forum before...
But I will be in Bali allright. 25th of june..
8) 8) 8)

So ... this was my contribution to your forum...
I hope you enjoyed it..

Bali here I come
:lol:
Bule

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Angie, you tell Allie to come on & join in!!!!

Did you see I spent 20 mins trying & finally sucedding in adding Maddy's school photo!!!!

Hi Allie,
How's things, do you want me to come to Bali with you & Angie? Just to keep an eye on things??????

Allie

May 11, 2004
Perth
Hi Tracey,
I've been a bit slack haven't I. Would love you too come too Bali, but I think Angie and I are going to be a bit too busy too keep up with your partying. Can't wait until we can all get together there.
Take it easy and love to Maddison and Gede.

pauloverseas

Apr 5, 2004
Tokyo/Indo
paul.onestop.net
Any organizations?

Tracey,

Enjoy your enthusiasm on this forum, thanks for the encouragement for those of us lurkers to get involved...

I am coming to Bali in July from Tokyo with my girlfriend, we're planning to stay 3 to 6 months and scout out a future there. Just curious if any of the expats on this forum meet up regularly for dinner or drinks?.. I realize you are (all) probably scattered around the island, but it would be nice to connect and network, share stories, and pick brains...

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Paul,
I am actually from Melb, Australia, buit as most people on here p[lan to return to the life of the living (rather than the robotic existence I currently exist in!)...
At this stage my husbnad Gede & I, are working at making another child, making enough money to buy a small place as an investment here in Melb, so when we do return to Bali we have something to sell, or rent out incase!?
When we do return to Bali to live (our plan is in 5-7yrs time) we will live with his family as they have a large house in Tuban & in Gede's room is big enough for all of us, with a shower, toilet, little kitchen area etc, so it would not be too imposing on his family! He says I can stay at home & he will work, but I'd go nut's , so there is a plan to have something for me to run & work in/at!?

Hope this enlightens you a little bit more, for now we return about once a year for a month holiday & work hard the rest of the year!

Allie,
I know you are gonna be so, so busy... Maybe next time hey!?
Take care!

G

Tracey said:
Come on I see a new person joins often, yet they don't really say much, so come on those that are new or have been reading & never writing, please add some comments as your input is also required!!!

Come on...... :lol:

OK, here goes. I've been to Bali many times over the last dozen years or so and like many visitors have fallen in love with the people, the culture, the whole package, realizing that there is a big diffference between visiting and living there. Recently a couple of friends of mine and I have had some conversations that we're thinking about working into some kind of written piece, maybe a book, maybe something else, based on themes that interest us. The first of these themes, a product of several martini (Absolut, straight up with two olives) fueled evenings, we are addressing is "acceptance." We figured that it would be interesting, in fact necessary, to get other peoples' thoughts on these themes. People with different lives, different outlooks than our own.

We've come up with a few questions and it would be great to get some answers/feedback from the people on the forum:

Acceptance is often touted as an essential trait for the highly-evolved person, but it seems that Western society is, in practice, moving away from that concept. Instant gratification and the relentless pursuit of material goals have become the norm.

1. Would you agree with the above description?
2. How would you define acceptance?
3. Can you relate an example that illustrates the concept as you define it?
4. In your own life what part does acceptance play?
5. What value do you think it has?
6. You're at home charging first-class round-the-world aiprlane tickets on the internet and browsing Tiffany.com for the perfect 5-carat diamond ring when the phone rings and you discover that your winning lottery ticket is actually a loser. Somebody made a big mistake! What is the first thing you would do?
7. Any personal information (age, gender, religious/spiritual practice, career/work) greatly appreciated.

I'll be out of town until June 7 and may not have much time on the internet before then, but thanks in advance for any replies.

Bob/San Francisco

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
6. You're at home charging first-class round-the-world aiprlane tickets on the internet and browsing Tiffany.com for the perfect 5-carat diamond ring when the phone rings and you discover that your winning lottery ticket is actually a loser. Somebody made a big mistake! What is the first thing you would do?

I wouldn't do that, so I can not answer your question(s)

Besides that, you come in here asking people personal questions, and then tell that you wont be able to look at their answers. (for some time)

And we don't know anything about you, and your questions ar not about Bali. Or are they, in a larger sense?

Now what do you have to do with "Population Leadership Program" and what does it have to with Bali.

G

Tracey! A Latin lady by the name of Bob, or (as usual) am I missing something? Sure fooled me! But I know you are astute, and none-the-less, I would like to take him/her on! So, here it goes, (for better or worse):

BOB:

“Acceptance is often touted as an essential trait for the highly-evolved person, but it seems that Western society is, in practice, moving away from that concept. Instant gratification and the relentless pursuit of material goals have become the norm.”

1. “Would you agree with the above description?”

Yes, I would agree that is an accurate summary of western life, particularly in the US. It is totally opposite for expatriates in Bali who seek, and find, meaning far beyond materialism.

2. “How would you define acceptance?”

In my past life, acceptance was largely gauged on approval of my peers and to those I was responsible. That would include my superiors, and my spouse at that time.

3. “Can you relate an example that illustrates the concept as you define it?”

Sure, many. In those days, I would most often do what I was told or asked to do. Moral issues, or even issues of legality were of no concern to me. If my superior said, “jump” my only response, if any, would be, “how high?”

4. “In your own life what part does acceptance play?”

In my old “corporate” days, quite a lot. Today, nothing. And oddly enough, I’m accepted more today, in my little primitive village, with my wife and three sons then I have ever been accepted before. The fact is, I’ve learned that acceptance is transcended by love and respect. Acceptance is way down the totem pole.

5. “What value do you think it has?”

You mean acceptance? It has very little value, and in Asia, it is only a cousin of tolerance…which, by the way, is what I am showing you right now.

6. “You're at home charging first-class round-the-world aiprlane tickets on the internet and browsing Tiffany.com for the perfect 5-carat diamond ring when the phone rings and you discover that your winning lottery ticket is actually a loser. Somebody made a big mistake! What is the first thing you would do?”

That’s easy! Pour myself a martini of course! Then again, I, like most other expats, don’t “charge” anything. It’s cash around here, on the barrel head, and no BS. And, moreover, our 5 karat diamonds come from Kalimantan, Borneo, at about one tenth of the price at Tiffany.

7. “Any personal information (age, gender, religious/spiritual practice, career/work) greatly appreciated.”

Last I looked down there, still male. Age?… old. Religion, Hindu…and the past? Well, I could tell you, but then you know the drill, ya….I’d have to kill you.

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Roy, you became anonymous...? :? :wink:
It was you wasn't it Roy???

You missed a latin lady advertising some holiday thingy... But Bert removed her posts!!!! :lol:

As for Bob, I just can't get into that stuff with some stranger! :shock:

G

Re: RE: All the newbies....

Anonymous said:
Tracey! A Latin lady by the name of Bob, or (as usual) am I missing something? Sure fooled me! But I know you are astute, and none-the-less, I would like to take him/her on! So, here it goes, (for better or worse):

BOB:

“Acceptance is often touted as an essential trait for the highly-evolved person, but it seems that Western society is, in practice, moving away from that concept. Instant gratification and the relentless pursuit of material goals have become the norm.”

1. “Would you agree with the above description?”

Yes, I would agree that is an accurate summary of western life, particularly in the US. It is totally opposite for expatriates in Bali who seek, and find, meaning far beyond materialism.

2. “How would you define acceptance?”

In my past life, acceptance was largely gauged on approval of my peers and to those I was responsible. That would include my superiors, and my spouse at that time.

3. “Can you relate an example that illustrates the concept as you define it?”

Sure, many. In those days, I would most often do what I was told or asked to do. Moral issues, or even issues of legality were of no concern to me. If my superior said, “jump” my only response, if any, would be, “how high?”

4. “In your own life what part does acceptance play?”

In my old “corporate” days, quite a lot. Today, nothing. And oddly enough, I’m accepted more today, in my little primitive village, with my wife and three sons then I have ever been accepted before. The fact is, I’ve learned that acceptance is transcended by love and respect. Acceptance is way down the totem pole.

5. “What value do you think it has?”

You mean acceptance? It has very little value, and in Asia, it is only a cousin of tolerance…which, by the way, is what I am showing you right now.

6. “You're at home charging first-class round-the-world aiprlane tickets on the internet and browsing Tiffany.com for the perfect 5-carat diamond ring when the phone rings and you discover that your winning lottery ticket is actually a loser. Somebody made a big mistake! What is the first thing you would do?”

That’s easy! Pour myself a martini of course! Then again, I, like most other expats, don’t “charge” anything. It’s cash around here, on the barrel head, and no BS. And, moreover, our 5 karat diamonds come from Kalimantan, Borneo, at about one tenth of the price at Tiffany.

7. “Any personal information (age, gender, religious/spiritual practice, career/work) greatly appreciated.”

Last I looked down there, still male. Age?… old. Religion, Hindu…and the past? Well, I could tell you, but then you know the drill, ya….I’d have to kill you.

Thanks for your reply guest/Roy. Not what I expected, but appreciate your honesty.

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
Hi everyone,
I guess that I am new enough to speak to this thread.
What would people like to know about me?
I would enjoy very much being accepted in this group of Expat loggers, as I wish to live in Pulau Dewata myself now that my western life has undergone some major changes.
I am Hindu, My given name IS Made, I am not Balinese.
I live in Wisconsin USA, attend temple outside of Milwaukee,
I am able to now make a modest livelihood with my painting.
Saya bisa becara B.I., dengan baik; atau sedikit...basa Bali -bukan.
I am looking into ways to make my long awaited first visit an extended one.
Want to know more? ...please ask.
-Made

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
Hi tracey and everyone,
Yes, my mom was very interested in socio-antropological studies; and Balinese culture was her forte'.
I am sure that she would have liked to continue her studies throughout her later life had she not been a housewife and mother of eight (which I am the 2nd born son - hence nama saya, Made) in 1960's middle-america.
My father was in Iceland with the us airforce at the time of my birth, he objected to my using this birth-order name while I was young and prefered me to use Daniel, my middle name.
My family was not a Religious one. My father was nominally Catholic, mom somewhat agnostic.
I attended a Catholic seminary in my adolesence, became interested in Agama Tirtha through my comparative-religions course, and made a conversion at age 13.
I left the seminary (of course I was starting to notice girls at this time...), but continued my education at a parochial prep school.
I try to live as 'Balinese-like' as is possible here in the states. I study Saka and Wuku calendar, follow closely and observe the proper dates.
I attend the temple outside of milwaukee and mix this traditional Indian Hinduism with my beliefs.
I subsitute coconut water for Toya at home and often make Banten.
I am once again single and have left the world of the office behind.
I have not been able to travel to Bali as yet due to what I thought were my obligations here.
I ramble...
-Made