A Spoilt Paradise?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Everyone tells you Bali has been spoilt by tourism. Even the Balinese, if pressed, will look gloomy and say, "Yes, of course, Bali is ruined." I don't think they believe this themselves. We first went to Bali on honeymoon in 1962, and I find that in many ways those thirty years have greatly improved it. It depends on what you want, or expect, to see. Bali was never a happy, innocent tropical paradise of artists who did a bit of rice farming on the side. It was a complex, inflexible society of clever and sensitive people who had to work enormously hard to get a living from a hostile landscape.

http://www.sriowen.com/html/bali.html

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bert, the article, as you provided in your link, is in my view excellent. I particularly liked this quote:

The first thing you will notice about Balinese food in Bali is that it is very hard to find

The segment you chose to quote, standing alone, could create some amount of controversy, but the article, overall is excellent when taken within the context of someone who never lived here, and thus, was never "assimilated into the Bali Borg." :p As a quick example...."the hostile landscape." I guess they never made it to OZ. :shock: