A Great Article by Jack Daniels

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
It seems Jack Daniels put a lot of thought into this article. It's factual, informative, poses some interesting hypotheses, yet is gently emotive.

Refreshingly - in my mind anyway - there's not a whiff of arrogance.

Thanks, Roy.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Indeed a great article and what is most amazing to me is written below the paragraph:
Where you gonna run to?

The development of a “growing consensus” described by Jack is already confirmed by European tourism industry.
While in Jakarta Post was to read, that 50% of New Zealanders had cancelled their trips, in Europe only a few decided to change their travel destination.
At time 2,300 Germans are on Bali, although every German agency offered them earlier flights back home, only 50 decided to go.
While in 2002, 143,000 Germans were on Bali in 2004 it has been 170,000, so there was no effect due the bombings in Oct. 2002.

The reasons for this?
Here we are confronted day by day with pictures of terror attacks, beside the Iraq, 9/11, Istanbul, Madrid, London there were many attacks toward tourist destinations in Spain, Turkey, Egypt, Kenya, Tunisia, then there was the tsunami this year, airplane crashes, or simply reports about robbed and killed tourists in all parts of the world, hijackings in South America, Africa on the Philippines.
The people are getting used to this, the scary influence of these incidents decreased during the time, like a spokesmen of French tourism industry stated.
Terrorists have been caught with plans for attacks.
Another interesting aspect in the statement of Jacques Maillot, more and more of the travellers would develop a kind of solidarity with the affected destinations.
The German bookings for Thailand have increased, it might sound bizarre, but this was doubtless caused by the tsunami, or better by the reports about this in German TV and press.
I’ve heard not one negative statement toward the Thais due this incident, everybody who was affected by the tsunami and was in one of countless reports or benefit-galas was praising the attitudes of the Thais during this disaster and endless hours of TV time were certainly an enormous push of advertisement regarding the Thailand tourism.

Maybe here is a chance for Bali’s tourism industry, look for a strategy to increase the quality and diversity of guests and not the quantity of them.

Never less, the actual situation is serious and the extended warnings are frightening, it’s simply impossible to stop suicide bombers acting like last Saturday, but when they really will hit another time now, without any doubt tourism on Bali will be dead.

jill

Jul 30, 2005
Alexandra new zealand
The papers in New Zealand said only 10% have cancelled???? :shock:

And.. at this time we have a group of Bali tourism promoters here trying to push Bali , Bad timing .

But I have had 3 inquires to my tours since the bomb, saying are we still going

YES we are

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi Jill,

here is something from importance for you
WELLINGTON (DPA): New Zealand Foreign Minister Phil Goff has warned travel agents that they could be found negligent if they fail to notify clients of government advisories against travel to certain destinations, it was reported Wednesday. ...
Goff said that if a New Zealander was killed or injured, it was up to the courts to decide whether agents might have been partly to blame, but "in the court of public opinion" they would almost certainly be found negligent if they had not issued appropriate government warnings.

In the consequence, I would let sign a confirmation from every of your clients, that they were informed about the travel warnings, in the worst case, you will have to prove this one day.

best regards
Thorsten

jill

Jul 30, 2005
Alexandra new zealand
Thanks for that Thorsten, I didn't read this one so cheers.

I have already put a disclaimer in , but may have to add A extra one to the booking sheet now :shock:

They don't make it easy to run a business in New Zealand :(

But ha I think most people are just so sick of being told , what to do, where to go, not go , most are saying stuff you i'll do what I like .

in the travel forum it said out of 20 000 ozys in Bali only 600 cut there trip short . 8)

maurits

Oct 10, 2004
Belanda
Great Article of John M.G. Daniels indeed. A man who knows Bali well, and is actually the only communicator of Bali..

According to Peter Semone, vice president of PATA, Bali also handled the situation well in this time of 'crisis'.
He was extremely amazed how well the situation was handled and organized.
http://www.pata.org/patasite/index.php?id=3