A Day In The Life of a Bali Expat

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: A Day In The Life of a Bali Expat

Thorsten said:
She’s in my house since almost two weeks now and since last week she’s not peeing on the newspaper anymore, even when excited she finds her cat’s toilet now :wink:
From Thorsten's post I assumed it was a kitten, but I could be wrong.

Roy, you're new pet sounds very cute, but not very cuddly. :roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
You're right Mats, I. G. Uana is not very cuddly, but then again, why would I "curl" up with a fur ball or a dingo when I am so lucky to have my wife Eri?

Gusti seems to be jealous though. He's been twice caught running sprints over us in the wee hours of the morning. As any self-respecting, well raised Balinese lady will tell you, that is not a good thing!

Eri told me, just yesterday of some great Balinese recipes that call for an I.G. Uana. I need to talk to Gusti. :shock:

I suspect Thorsten's fur ball will require expensive therapy later in life...being potty trained on newspaper. :p

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

Roy said:
Eri told me, just yesterday of some great Balinese recipes that call for an I.G. Uana. I need to talk to Gusti. :shock:
:shock: I think that calls for a serious discussion with I Gusti!

I do hope Ibu Eri was only joking! :twisted: :wink:

Sparky

Aug 9, 2004
england..LONDON
:shock: :shock: :shock: I am in shock as to the manner of this thread, showing that everyone can have their diffrence of opinion and sometimes make this forum look more like one of thos bloody gimmicky chat shows where a slanging match occurs.

But htis thread shows that people when theyu get heated in the battle of a forum debate have Bali and its people in their hearts and is sure nice to see.

Thorsten your quite right about Xmas mate i know it sounds miserable but to me it is all getting away from what it is meant to be. If anything it saddens me when i see the people with bundles of trashy presents and far too much food that mostly gets wasted when there are people (millions) who would benefit if everyone donated just one pound each at Xmas for the poor and sick around the world to give them some happiness. I like you Thorsten have stopped giving and receiving present off anyone other than mt very closest (mum and dad) as usually its something the person already has or probably putsd it in a draw and never wear it again.

Now just imagine if all the wasted food and presents that are not appreciated were donated to the people that need them. Yes then Xmas would be to me what its meant to be and not a time when someone who hardly grunts a word to you over the year at work talks to you at the Xmas party under the influence of alcohol which to me is only on thing false and makes me mad. :x

Nice thread and good points folks. :wink:

Spark

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Matsaleh

Either you have drunk a glass of red wine or you prefer white. Either way for me here in Saudi with no wine its pure cruelty to see it :-(

Roy

Iguanas are not so tasty. Whilst in a chinese restaurant in Jakarta many years ago I had crocodile tail. (Bit like fishy chicken) I have also eaten monkey brains in Zambia and penis soup in the phillipines plus dog in Irian Jaya and goat head in Nigeria.

I will not tell you where I had Iguana but I rember in 1983 I had Turtle steaks in Bali. How things change......for the better obviously.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Jimbo,
The glass in the photo contains champagne and sorry to be so cruel.

Other than vodka martinis, I like nothing better than a nice drop of bubbly. :)

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Funny,

that our little kitten became already a point of discussion on a Bali forum :p
I should get paid for writing this advise! :!:

Roy, your suggestion to take the cat with me out is superficial a brilliant idea, without any doubt I would be surrounded by heaps of ladies after some minutes, but although this strategy could possibly work on Bali, you don’t have any idea how the things works here.

I would take every bet, that in less than ten minutes a militant animal protector would jump off her Holland bicycle, screaming something about abuse of an innocent creature for perverted amuse of us sick assholes, she would unplug the amplifiers of the band and demand everybody stop smoking immediately.
A few minutes later, there will be a small demonstration outside the pub and the police will come, the manager of the pub will swore he hadn’t known, that a small kitten were used to attract potential, casual, female sexual partners inside his pub/club/bar and also that animals are generally not allowed inside, but the crowd outside will grow and maybe the first windows will be damaged.
A reporter of the local newspaper will step on the scene and while interviewing the people a discussion is started, if there should be a new law that perverts should not be allowed to hold cats.
Of course the young ladies would have already escaped and not one would have left her phone number for me, the police would have taken the kitten and hand it over to animal home, the manager would have spoken a life time ban to enter his pub/club/bar anymore toward me.
After my image and name were in the Monday newspaper, some animal protectors will protest outside my house for the next few weeks, the owner of the pub/club/bar will certainly sue me due damaging his business, but he wont have a chance to get a refund, because due the boycott of my own business I will have to declare bankrupt!
:shock:

Thank God I left the cat at home last Saturday night :!:

best regards
Thorsten :wink:

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Roy. I have indeed been in touch with Helen: she is most agreeable lady. I hope to hear from her soon regarding our sponsored child.

Thorsten.

I trust you will enjoy meeting your sponsored kids in January (I wouldn’t mind your updates).

I actually read your kitten post with interest, as I am an ailurophile. I came across a book written by Vicky Halls (cat counsellor) entitled “Cat Confidential”. I have not finished reading it, however insofar quite interesting. It explains the “pee and poo” mystery. It also promises: “cat owners to reach a far better understanding with their feline companions”.

Jimbo. I can’t believe you ate snoopy. Poor snoopy!

PS. I am in agreement in Sparky: I like you too Thorsten!

Best wishes
Ni Luh

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Bert

The penis belonged to a bull.

Matsaleh

Champagne is overated. A good spanish cava is half the price.

Poochie

Sorry

I fell in with some Torajans and the taste was excellent if a bit boney. How are you getting on with English meat and 3 veg. My children will not touch potatoes.

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Howay Jimbo

Yas aalreet, ye are.

I agreed with you re. Cava. I posted a question in the past whether I could buy Cava in Bali, unfortunately no answer. Can you/someone please tell me where I can get Cava in Bali? Are there any low calorie beer and good Belgium beer (i.e. Stella)?

I don’t generally buy English meat. I do buy Scottish beef (Angus) on special occasions. I have also been buying Australian beef and New Zealand lamb: much better values.

What do you mean by 3 vegs? On my roast dinner, let me count how many vegs: sprouts, carrots, peas, cabbage. More than 3 anyway, so perhaps you are right, as I don’t consider potato as veg. I have never liked potato. However, by the time you put Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes (my family like them), stuffings and gravy there won’t be any space left on the plate.

Best wishes
Ni Luh

balijeff

Apr 5, 2005
Kuta Beach
Thorsten,

How dare you mock PETA :shock:

Animals have rights you know.

If you must, I belong to PETA. That is, of course, People Eating Tasty Animals.

Baked or grilled or steamed or sashimi, Im easy!

Please dont tell me those wackos havent killed every bachelors sure-fire dating method...the doe-eyed puppy. Say it isnt so!

Jeffrey

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Poochie

You are no longer Indonesian but pure British. I very rarely eat English food (apart from full English Breakfasts). My wife is a wonderful cook and we mostly eat Indonesian food ( Her Nasi Kuning is to die for) sometimes Thai and Indian/Chinese and sometimes Italian.

All washed down with a nice Wolf Blass (something depending on what is eaten). Right now I am eating very boring Arabic food which seems to consist of roast chickens with rice and tomato ketchup.....Yuk

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK

Jimbo

Wolf Blass! That is quite a strong wine. The last time I drank that wine, I though I was drinking Port.

For a moment I was quite taken back by your post:

Jimbo said:
Poochie

You are no longer Indonesian but pure British.

However after further thoughts, there could be some truth-ness in that.

First of all what is it being British anyway these days? The Empire has long been gone and now the EU border seems to be getting bigger and bigger (will be interesting when Turkey becomes a full member).

I certainly have not travelled as extensively as I should like throughout the British Isles so I don’t have a clue what pure British means. However, to me Britain is a place whereby people from different origins live in relatively harmonious social order and a place where animals/pets have a strong position in the society.

Yes I have been away half of my life. I am 0x1D years of age. I was largely on my own too (before I met my husband that is). I must say it was not an easy journey. There were a lot of good and bad times. Whenever I was feeling down and low, one thing that always made me smile and feel happy is when I remembered the good times I had in Bali/Indo. Somehow the good memories have never diminished and they have helped me throughout my life. I don’t know whether I am still qualified as an Indonesian or not however I will soon be back home: that is most important to me.

Funny actually you said what you said. The other week we were having lunch with my dad’s friend who said almost similar lines. He is British, the same age as my dad and probably your good-self (near 60). He has travelled/lived extensively from A (Africa) to Z (Zanzibar). He ate snoopy in Nigeria and chewed chicken heads too. He was surprised by my taste buds.

However if you think the Brits in terms of food have assimilated me. I have to challenge that. I have lived in 3 continents. I love my indo foods above all. I love the taste of salt and chilli before any taste of sweetness.

I put dried chillis in my English gravy just to spice it up. I would rather have nasi goreng for breakfast than Full English. I like my tea without milk. I rather have hot meals for my lunch than a sandwich.

Jimbo, Arabic food is not that boring actually. They have good lamb and surprisingly good cheeses. I know they don’t have alcohol. Try to wash it down with cardamom coffee. You will be surprised.

Best wishes
Ni Luh

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sorry guys...but I'm going to "butt in here."

Jimbo! Ni Luh is first and foremost a Balinese! Although Bali is indeed part of Indonesia, I would never refer to her as Indonesian. Moreover, I have never experienced similarities between Balinese and Indonesians from any other part of Indonesia.

The Balinese are fiercely proud of their country, Indonesia, and the red and white flags fly proudly all over Bali on Independence Day…but in the end, I’ve never met, or have know a Balinese who has not first referred to themselves as Balinese.

Secondly, even if taken to Britain at birth (which is not the case) Ni Luh will never be British. As the old saying in the US goes, "you can take the boy out of the Bronx, but you will never take the Bronx out of the boy."

In my experience, and knowing several Balinese who have lived out of Bali for years...that saying is more applicable here than anywhere else.

PS...find me one Brit who can eat durian! :D

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Poochie/Roy

I was referring to the food aspects not the person. Mind you I had to laugh at adding chilli to British Gravy. I taught my wife to make many British dishes but always she added a special ingredient to spice things up. Mainly chilli. I will not comment on the Wolf Blass as I can bore the world talking about wine but sherry its not.

Arabic food is rather boring in the main although I do love Cardamom coffee. I have a small coffee farm myself in Torajah and I continually vary the taste by adding chocolate, Kayu Manis or indeed cadamom in small doses for a change.

I do not agree with you Roy on never changing what you are. 3 of my children were born in Indonesia but all of them regard themselves as British. They did not speak English when they arrived but things change over the years. Maybe its what you want to be rather than what you are. Or maybe its a factor of age and upbringing .

For me I am an internationalist as I have lived far the biggest proportion of my life outside of my birth country. Still there are aspects (maybe just in my mind) of the England I new as a boy that I miss. Like you I will no doubt die in Indonesia ( not necessarliy buried as my wife is Torajan) and will always remain English if not the quintissential stereotype.