Bali Fast Boat Safety?

mister567

Jul 21, 2017
Was it ever explained what caused the explosive accidents on multiple Bali ferries in 2016?

I'm reading about this just now. I rode fast boats many times on my Bali trip earlier this year and never considered something like this even being a possibility.

This is the story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Bali-ferry-carrying-35-people-explodes.html

Is there a "safe" spot to sit on these boats just in case? Sounds like the people at the front of the boat (captain and crew) were not harmed at all.

mister567

Jul 21, 2017
Also don't some of these fast boats have seating on top of the boat, as opposed to inside the boat?

Seems like that would be the safest option if possible.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Gasoline fuel tanks; crappy electrical connectors; Lack of Indonesian regulations; lethargic attitudes to safety..... all transpire to an accident waiting for a time and place to occur.

Just saw this advert which may interest future visitors to the Gilis/Lombok.....https://patagonia-xpress.com/
The boat appears to be more safe, has diesel engines and enough safety equipment to make me feel safer. I'd be more confident if I knew how qualified was the Captain.

mister567

Jul 21, 2017
For Lombok aren't there cheap flights available from Bali? Seems safer than taking the fast boats in the first place.

But for smaller islands like Nusa Penida this is still the only option.

I don't recall if the boat I regularly took to NP from Bali had life jackets, but I'm guessing not.

What about just buying a life jacket and bringing it along? It might look kind of stupid, but it's better than drowning. I did some more digging and found several stories about these fast boats sinking too.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The new airport in Lombok is 'like' a million mile from the Gilis. Even if there are cheap flights it takes forever to get to the short ferry to go to Gili Trawangan.
If money is no object there is a helicopter service from Serangan which includes a tour around Mount Agung volcano...when I win the lottery it's on my bucket list.

mister567

Jul 21, 2017
The new airport in Lombok is 'like' a million mile from the Gilis. Even if there are cheap flights it takes forever to get to the short ferry to go to Gili Trawangan.
If money is no object there is a helicopter service from Serangan which includes a tour around Mount Agung volcano...when I win the lottery it's on my bucket list.
Ah yes, I meant if one is visiting Lombok just for the sake of visiting Lombok, then maybe the flights are a better option? I'd like to explore Lombok personally next time I'm back.

But for the Gili and Nusa islands it definitely seems wise to try to mitigate the risks with these fast boats in any way possible.

I personally rode them probably two dozen times on my last Bali trip, and I didn't feel very safe on them at all. And that was before reading these horror stories....

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Even the big boats to java worry me ,poor general condition held together with paint and rust , I came back from java 2 days ago the boat was rolling that much I headed to the open deck ready to jump , thankfully I didnt have to .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Even the big boats to java worry me ,poor general condition held together with paint and rust , I came back from java 2 days ago the boat was rolling that much I headed to the open deck ready to jump , thankfully I didnt have to .

Interesting Tel522...were you on a ferry from Java and to where...Bali? Love to hear about your trip

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Id been over to batu and malang , to visit family and a bit of biz , we go over every few months , the ferries sometimes roll heavily when there is almost no wind they are old roro with only a couple of meters of free board , and they are top heavy , It wouldn't take much to end up in "davy jones locker" .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Do you take a ferry from Bali to Surabaya or is there some dock closer to Batu...which is quite far inland to my recall. My brother-in-law has a villa in Lawang where I've visited and went to Batu...would love to return to the parks in Batu.
We went by train from Banyuwangi and got picked-up in Pasaruan...great trip.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
gilimanuk to negara is my normal route with the car , the shortest time on the "rust bucket" the better ,anyway the water is warm and clean if I end up in the "drink" not to far to swim . I was in batu for a little biz , honestly you need a hotel with a roaring fire in the room bcs its bloody freezing at night .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
gilimanuk to negara is my normal route with the car , the shortest time on the "rust bucket" the better ,anyway the water is warm and clean if I end up in the "drink" not to far to swim . I was in batu for a little biz , honestly you need a hotel with a roaring fire in the room bcs its bloody freezing at night .

Aghh! you mean the Gilamanuk to Banyuwangi car ferry and drive the rest...I was wondering how you got to Malang/Batu by ferry.
This is one of those ferries I was on a couple of years ago...on fire!..... https://postimg.org/image/y4jj05bu9/a8e5b101/

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Gday all, i thought i had a great plan to travel to Jember via ferry crossing to Java from Bali, i am having second thoughts now, maybe flying to Sarabaya isn't that bad after all, and getting picked up by brother in law from there seems safer . Will have to meditate on this idea for a while or maybe everyone can just visit us in Bali , no need to risk travelling too much , or just go for it and be brave

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Gday all, i thought i had a great plan to travel to Jember via ferry crossing to Java from Bali, i am having second thoughts now, maybe flying to Sarabaya isn't that bad after all, and getting picked up by brother in law from there seems safer . Will have to meditate on this idea for a while or maybe everyone can just visit us in Bali , no need to risk travelling too much , or just go for it and be brave

I shouldn't get too concerned about tel522 and my post about the ferry crossing...I'd get really worried about driving between Bali and Jember.:D.
Surabaya to Jember is a helluva long way....it's further than Bali to Jember. The train from Banyuwangi-Surabaya goes through Jember...and there are flights from Bali to Malang...much closer to Jember than Surabaya.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Ya its a long drive , which I dont mind if there isnt to much traffic , I always avoid holiday periods , I couldnt imagine being stuck in long ques at the ferrys 12 hours + , now that is scary!

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Gday, fly to Malang now there's a beaut idea, ta muchly for this advice, never considered this. My brother in law can collect us from there, we did wish to see Malang and Batu. We did the hire car thing a few years ago from Surabaya to Jember and return yeh i don't really want to do that again, I closed my eyes a few times and hoped for the best, the driver was my brother inlaws wifes cousin , he slowed down on the return trip on our insistence, everyones a race driver. We could camp in Malang for a few days before heading to Jember. Tanks again , new idea better plan.
n idea, we want to travel there when we visit Jember. A few years ago glew from Jakarta to Surabaya and had

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Yes Davita, I did it in May. Never again . Although only 25 minute flight. Still had to get to domestic from Sanur. Only 1 desk for Wings check-in. Eventually left 1 hour late . About 50 minutes from airport to Banksul harbour , finally to gili air. Returned fast boat to Serangan then driven to Sanur (with 2 other passengers) Voyage about 2 hr 30 mins.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Normy..thanks for your input and confirmation as I did the same trip before the new airport was complete.
IMO if anyone is so concerned about the safety of slow ferries, inter-island fast-boats, airplanes, taxis and general road traffic....better not come to Indonesia at all. There are many more safe, cheap and desirable places to visit or stay....and, when found, please post your findings here...I'm ready to move.