With Great Regret

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I have disabled Roy's account.

Roy, for who I have a great respect, because of his knowledge and his opinions, is of great value for this forum and many of his posts must have enlightened future and present Bali expatriates, like me.

He has not shown great social skills however, and I have been tolerating this, in spite of all the complaints, because Roy, in many ways pursues the truth, and this is allways an important thing.

Today he crossed my line however, I asked him to apologize to Tommy a few times, because he wrongfully accused Tommy of racism, and he did not have the guts, or the courage to do so. He asked me to send Tommy a PM:

"Yes, I hit Tommy hard, and it was not deserved. My only hope is that such a response is taken at face value...zero tolerance for racism."

"For certain, I snapped over Tommy's post...and not for a valid reason."

Roy has shown a one sided interest in "sensitivities" regarding the subject.

I cannot understand why a guy like Roy, asks me to post this, it would mean a lot to me, and some other people if he would have had the guts to do so himself.

So because of this, and some other posts you have made in the last few days, you are in the freezer Roy. You know my email address.

This forum has an Adat as well.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Apology accepted! Though Roy sometimes snap at me due to misunderstandings that is something i can accept coz he's got alot of good things going on too. I think we all share a similar passion and will probably spend a great deal of our lives on the same island. Let's not forget that.

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
I hope this is not a permanent ban for Roy. Although he can be a very opinionated 'old bastard'(a colloquial Aussie expression), he provides an invaluable insight into Bali, is always prepared to give time to respond to posts and is guaranteed to provide stimulating discussion with his responses.

Ned

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
It is not, I don't want to loose Roy either.

Its a signal, that I have to give, and its a relayed signal as well.

WTF I enable his account again, let's see.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Incredibility is my first reaction. Roy banned?
This forum will suffer dearly from a decision like that.

I've had my spats with Roy in the past, but nothing really serious.
We've always managed to get over things. This is a forum, right?

I don't know what he posted - missed it unfortunately - to get your ire up so much.
I see that Tommy the victim has already forgiven him.
So what's the problem here?

There's a certain lack of sense of humour sometimes with Tuan Admin.
Take it easy, Bert...maybe try not to let your own prejudices get in the way of things.

I know I'm on the borderline here too...one reason I only come here occasionally these days.
Grow up (a bit more), Bert. Nobody's asking you to be a moral god, let alone a censor.
The forum is great as it is - back-pedal a little and don't shoot your own foot off.
Don't take yourself so seriously.

:evil:

Tommy

May 11, 2005
I don't know what he posted - missed it unfortunately - to get your ire up so much

Get the facts straight before you jump to conclusions and people Sanurian! This is exactly, if i'm not mistaken, what got Roy banned.

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
BERT ..I think Roys posts are great , his passions , love and respect for Bali pour off his key board . Yes he can be a little jumpy when someone says something negetive about Bali (im sure of NYC too) but thats what we love bout him . And the above post by Sanurian has a point , this board seemed to me to be a place of open exchange of ideas . with out the toughts of people like Roy / Sanurian this would be a very dull forum . I dont think Tommy is a racist in anyway ,(i though the post in question was really funny ) , but if he was you should allow his thoughts and everyones thoughts to flow without editing . nothing spices up life like a healthy argument and a cold beer ....

Tommy

May 11, 2005
finally some credit for my greatly misinterpreted joke.. i'm glad you enjoyed it as much as me when i wrote it. :oops: on the otherhand i don't see why Bert should let racists or any other extremists post on this forum. i don't think that many would enjoy "that" kind of atmosphere here though some of you sure seem to have what it takes to do Crossfire on CNN . :shock: I think it's the wrong forum for discussions of that nature and don't really see the connection with all this mis-aligned aggression to Bali.

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
When it comes down to it i dont agree with everything my friends say or do . I think most of you people on this forum are "freinds" , and friends should never give up on each other . You all have a common thread that holds you all together , the love of Bali . I must say that i love it when you beat up on each other , but i love it even more when a stranger to the forum says something off and you all join in together and kick the crap out of them . There are about 20 of you guys/gals that really have taken bali to heart and i think thats great , in a way i view those people as some sort of disfuntional family , and you all fight like family too . The im sorries have been said and you have come to a greater understanding of each other, which is how a family learns . guys/gals we need another politiclly correct forum in our lifes like a hole in our heads , i feel that when temper fly and peopel argue things get real . I dream of coming to Bali and someday being part of the "family " thanks

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
I can see Roy now, sitting at the computer, his fingers poised above the keyboard... smoke coming from his ears....the frustration of not being able to post his thoughts (and opinions).

Bring back Roy!

Ned

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
It's official then....

I have the only forum from which Roy has not been banned. :D In the past he has cursed me, compared me to sewage, threatened me and damned me to hell... But for some reason I still like the guy and have put up with a lot of insults and internet attacks for defending him. Still can't figure out why but when I get over to Bali I hope to see him and have a drink with him.

I hope he is re-instated soon...

jill

Jul 30, 2005
Alexandra new zealand
Nope my kids get grounded longer than that for being far less rude,
& as he has acted like a child ...
Just count how many Roy has upset in the last month, poor Min is still upset

& I think Tom should get a BIG "I'M SORRY "

I got one(a sorry) of the people that upset me well most of them ,sooooo

be big boy & be good & we will let you play with the big kids again !

just my thoughts feel free to add yours
( hope all is spelled ok ) :roll:
the phantom forum bad speller :lol: :lol: :lol:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Bert said:
I have disabled Roy's account.
Goodness me, I go away for a few weeks and all hell breaks loose. What did I miss! :?

Just back from Bali and sorry, didn't have time to catch up with anyone this time. I'll be back in January though, and have now decided to "hurry up" my plans to move to Bali permanently. Lots of planning ahead!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Life is just to short. Every forum needs a Roy, a Jill, a Mimpimanis, a Sanurian and a Jimbo. Without them there is no forum. It would also be sooo boring if we all thought the same. Well done Bert. "I am tolerant of intolerance"

A Jimism for you all