What's best??

London

Aug 28, 2006
Yes
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I've been going to Bali for the last 10 years.
Normally when I come, I'd bring US dollars travellers cheques, but I noticed in the money changer I use just on the outskirts of Kuta on the main road to Denpasar by the bridge over the river/sewer, that there were lots of people changing dollar bills.
I'll be in Bali next week and was wondering if it's better to get US cheques or just bring £50 notes with me?

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
London, welcome to the Forum.

Whenever we go to Bali we tend to bring a little bit of £ or $, use our UK bank cash card on Cirrus cash machines for cash and cr cards for larger purchases. Our Premier account with HSBC allows us to withdraw cash anywhere in the world without any charges at all, which is great! :D

By the way, any £ or $ you bring with you, make sure the notes are nice & clean. They could be a bit funny sometimes about these things, refusing to change notes with writing on them or a bit torn, etc.

You have to be VERY careful when using cash machines though, especially in Indonesia. Just make sure there's nothing weird about the machine before using it & ALWAYS cover your PIN number completely when tapping it on machine!

Travellers cheques are great for security, etc, but they could be a pain sometimes!

Anyway, have a great time in Bali! We came back 4 wks ago and now wishing we were there already! :(

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Cash is king, and it seems that fewer and fewer travelers here bring traveler’s checks. Exchange rates for cash is always better, but then again, there are security issues to ponder. DO NOT leave your cash in the safe deposit box of hotels. Most are fine, but unless you know for certain, it is wise to keep your cash with you at all times. Do not flash your cash around. This is considered rude.

Bank cards are fine, and there are ATM machines all over Bali, but maximum daily withdrawal amounts can vary, and I’m not up on that point.

US $100 notes, Euros, $100 or $500, Australian dollars, and British pound notes are always easily exchanged here except that US $100 dollar notes can be a problem if they are old series. Some of the late 1900 series are just not ever taken here. I think that is series 1996 and 1998...heavily counterfeited, thus they are only useful in the mandi. The best series for US $100 notes is 2005 or 2006. I’ve never heard of any counterfeit concerns with Euros, AUSD, or British pound notes. Maybe someone else will have information about them.

As previously noted, all bills should be clean, crisp, new, with no writing, sketches (even if by Arie Smit), folds and most certainly rips or missing parts.

I still think the best money changer on Bali is PT Central Kuta. They have offices all over Bali. Avoid banks for currency exchange. They are all a royal pain in the arse, and frankly, given the way most of them are run, I am continuously surprised they continue to operate. For certain, none of them have ever heard that “time is money” and you can easily waste hours there...all for nothing.

Have a great trip! Bali is fantastic, and just a little common sense about money can save you a lot.

London

Aug 28, 2006
Yes
RE: What

Cheers for the replies. I'll avoid dollar bills and bring some crispy £50 notes and my bank card. I think the money changer I mentioned is the PT Central Kuta...........just couldnt think of the name.

The place I stay in is a pretty safe, familly run place, so I reckon no problems with leaving my stuff in their safe box.

I'm sure I'll have a great time, but this time I'll be looking to check out property rentals if anyone has any good advice to offer.

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
Hi London
I have never brought cash with me to Bali, I only use ATM machine, I always have 2 card so if there is something wrong with one of the I have a backup, and I have them difertent places so if one get stolen I have another. :)
Anne

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang

When using a foriegn ATM card you will get bank exchange rates, not the best, and pay a hefty fee like $5 for every limited withdrawl - expensive option.

G

Generally I dont use ATM's abroad, except Spain where I have a bank acct. I met a Brasillian bloke in Bali who was always at the ATM and had travelled for 2 years around the world taking money from ATM's.

I told him that if I did that with my UK bank acct I wouldnt have any money left in there after 6 months due to all the charges!! He was quite certain that his bank didnt charge for overseas withdrawls and was even a little bit arrogant about it.

I've kept in touch with this guy for the past 4 years and we've become good friends.

When he eventually got back from his travels he told me his bank had completely screwed up his life and he was on a credit blacklist, couldnt get a job cos he was on a blacklist and came back to find he was thousands of dollars in debt!!!

He never did say it was due to bank charges though :wink:

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
When I use ATM card I usualy have better exhange rates then at the money canger. I pay around $5 for every withrawel, and I usualy withraw 1,25 mill every time. so its not that bad. and I dont have to be afraid that someone will steal my money. I dont like to travel with a lot of money on me.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

Well Ilu, you know the old adage...to each their own. I hate to tell you this, but in fact the chances of you being robbed at an ATM machine is greater than when walking out of one of the offices of PT Central Kuta.

You say that you “pay around $5 for every withrawel, and I usualy withraw 1,25 mill every time.”

Over time I’ve noted how those five dollars can add up, and add up quickly. I’m not as tight as bark is to a tree, but I am a Scot, so I guess it’s in my blood to count all those five dollars.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

....then again, and also a curse by being Scottish, I do have a thing for the heart piercing crystal blue eyes of Norwegian ladies, and their silky blond hair.

G

Re: RE: What's best??

Ilu said:
When I use ATM card I usualy have better exhange rates then at the money canger. I pay around $5 for every withrawel, and I usualy withraw 1,25 mill every time. so its not that bad. and I dont have to be afraid that someone will steal my money. I dont like to travel with a lot of money on me.

All of the ATM's I have used in Bali wont even allow you to even withdraw more than 1.5 million rupiah (around $150-$175 US). It really all depends on what bank your atm card is drawn on and in what country it is from. Lets say you have a barclays card drawn on UK bank (Barclays). You will probably get a more favorable exchange rate since the pound sterling is very strong than you would with an ATM card from Chase drawn on a US bank. Why you ask? Simple economics, supply and demand. The US dollar has lost a lot of its value recently and although the Balinese still want the US dollar over the australian dollar or other currency for example, the economically astute would be smartest to accept sterling rather than us dollars because of its current and future value compared to that of the US dollar.

G

Re: RE: What

Roy said:
....then again, and also a curse by being Scottish, I do have a thing for the heart piercing crystal blue eyes of Norwegian ladies, and their silky blond hair.

Dont we all Roy :lol: Scandanavian, German, and eastern European to be exact Roy. Don't sell yourself short... There are too many choices for us unmarried men..

G

Hi Roy
I do have a thing for the heart piercing crystal blue eyes of Norwegian ladies, and their silky blond hair.

I have to disapoint you, I have brown eys and dark brow hair. :wink:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA

Come to think of it, I've never heard of a bank robbery in Bali. After all, this is where the money is, according to Jesse James, no? :)