What are you doing there?

G

Hello, As I always hear that Indonesia bankrupt is I am wondering what you expats are doing there for a living. Just being curiuos. Thank you. Sorry for asking.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
And me, making silk purses from sow's ears...a very easy thing to do in a "bankrupt" environment. :shock:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Indonesia is not bankrupt (yet). It might be getting close, maybe like the USA.

What do you do for a living, Lydia? (I bet you're not a typing teacher.)

I live here on a Social/Cultural visa, which means I'm not allowed to work even if I wanted to. I spend my time watching rivers flow, driving around Bali with some good CDs playing, talking all kinds of rubbish with other expats, eyeing girls with bad intent, fixing computers for friends, taking photographs, writing silly things on web-forums, drinking Irish coffees, trying to identify local birds, chasing snakes and spiders, trying to find really bad roads to drive on...stuff like that. Of course, I don't get paid for any of this. So - how can I possibly manage?

I'm a retired ASIO agent (the Australian equivalent of the CIA), and I still get paid. I used to know lots of expats here who worked illegally (most of them have left - perhaps fearing the looming collapse of this country's economy). And I know quite a few who have all their papers in order, get things made here and export them around the world.

What peeves me is seeing every second Balinese car-owner driving a better and newer car than me. It's embarrassing. But I pretend my real car is being serviced, or my wife's using it on a shopping expedition, or I'm installing a new sound system so I can use my iPod on the road.
:roll:

Cassienne

Aug 28, 2004
New Zealand - Bali soon!
hi Lydia
I live in Denpasar and teach English anf chemistry. And believe me, not all of Bali is bankrupt. The families who send their kids to my school (where you have to pay a lot of money for the privilige to atend) turn up after school to pick up their kids in beautiful brand new big shiny cars. I could never say they're the poor sort.
Course there is a big gap between the rich and the poor here, kinda like in India, and it is true that there are many Balinese living on a few thousand rupiah a week. It's sad, but true.
Cassienne

(don't be sorry for asking!! Always ask questions, it's the best way to find out stuff.)

G

It seems that this is a strange question and a lot of people are ......to tell what they do or not do. I don't have a problem by saying that I should do nothing if I had the money. But I haven't (yet). And no I'm not a typing teacher. Sorry, my English is only my third language. How is your dutch and french? I'm an teacher but with children with special needs.

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Coucou Lydia...

Not that strange..., but if you come to Bali you will see the real life of the peoples.... Teacher's of childrens with special needs? that's really interesting job!...

Bonne journée

G

But no future for that categorie in Bali, I think. I hoped to find a job as a teacher for children with special needs but apparently it does not exists in Bali, or am I wrong. Bye

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
???

:shock:
blink.gif
:x

bye

maurits

Oct 10, 2004
Belanda
Re: RE: What are you doing there?

Lydia said:
Sorry, my English is only my third language. How is your dutch and french? .

My Dutch is quite OK, my french is quite OK, my German is quite OK, my Spanish is quite OK, my English is quite OK, my Bahasa Indonesia is quite OK, my Japanese is moderate(working on this one)

If we are going to brag, I am sure I will win language knowledge...

Ziggy

Dec 15, 2004
England
I can't speak any other language other than english but....... Here in my house I have what some people think is possibly the Blackest cat ever!

Beat that!

G

Indonesia is bankrupt? First time I've herd of it. Nevermind that the economy is predicted to grow 5% next year, according to the World Bank and IMF. BUt I'll take your word that Indonesia is bankrupt.

As for me, I do international trading.

G

Hello,
And I just wanted to know what people (expats) do for a living in Bali. Just a question. Or don't do. Or don't have to do for a living and live on their retirement-wages, savings.... I wish I could stay there and do nothing else than jalan-jalan. Are there expats doing something else then real-estate, furniture and handicrafts (export), teaching....? (Just looking for possibilities) Or what do they need in Bali? What can an expat offer in Bali that they don't have. I mean "don't have" as "don't have the training or education for". Which skills can an expat bring to Bali? :?:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Lydia, that’s a fair question. The expats I know largely break down to either being in the export business, or the hotel/restaurant business. A few do some really unique things. One, a very close friend from Germany is building a botanical garden just outside of Ubud. When finished, it will rival the one in Singapore, which is really great.

Another close friend is in the business of producing travel and adventure documentaries. He won a Berkley Film Festival award for best adventure documentary, now owned by National Geographic, for his film about white water rafting across Borneo.

And then there are the ones who do in fact live on their retirement income and Social Security. Many of them are active in NGO related work…Rotary, Bali Hati Foundation, etc. That’s about it.