West Australian man killed in Bali scooter accident

balinews

A PROMISING young footballer killed in a motor scooter accident in Bali was not wearing protective gear, according to reports from the island.

Mitch Gillam, a popular and talented former student from Aquinas College, Salter Point, died yesterday in Bali from injuries he suffered in a motor scooter crash.

Like hundreds of young Australian travellers in Bali, Mr Gillam was reportedly not wearing protective gear while riding. His body was found near rice fields.

Mr Gillam had been on a group trip to Bali with friends, one of whom was riding a scooter with him at the time of the crash. The friend is understood to have no recollection of the accident.

Aquinas College headmaster Mark Sawle confirmed Mr Gillam graduated from the prestige Catholic college in Year 12, in 2007.

Mr Sawle said Mr Gillam's death was a tragic loss to his family and the school.

He described the former Aquinas student as a "fine young man" who excelled on the sporting fields and academically.

"Mitchell was a very friendly young man well liked by his peers and very much respected by staff," he said.

WA man, 20, former Aquinas student dies in Bali scooter accident | Perth Now

That is sad, but...

I probably shouldn't judge, I don't know what caused the accident, he could have had an accident even though he was riding the bike correctly. But, the amount of young Aussie guys you see hooning around on Bikes in Bali with no regard for their own safety or safety of others on the road it's lucky more don't have fatal accidents.

It makes me so mad to see the way they treat these bikes that don't belong to them. Riding around with no helmet, no shoes, no shirts, no license, doing skids, speeding.... They should really think of their families. They are not invincible, they don't own Bali and they wouldn't dare act like that in Australia.

I really feel bad for the family, but at the same time the way some people behave makes me SO MAD!!!

Back