Ubud, nice/easy to live?

patatje

Nov 30, 2004
belgium, semarang, bali.....
Hello,
As we are not sure of our location to spend a few months in Bali (and hopefully a lot longer) we would like to know, get informed a little bit about Ubud for the moment because it was not really our first priority when we were thinking of a location. As we are coming with 2 small children (1 and 4 years) we would like to know if;
- is it easy to find baby-stuff like diapers, powder-milk...or do people living in Ubud go to Denpassar shopping on a weekly basis?
- is it a family friendly place?
- how far is it to the closest beach...?
- is it a save place?
- are there dutch-speaking expat families living?
Sorry but it has been six years since I passed by there and I don't remember much about Ubud, besides the streetdogs, Kecak Fire dance, MonkeyForest road...

And as I remember from an earlier topic school is not close and a big issue.
Thanks anyway

Iris

Feb 6, 2003
Holland
Hello Patatje,

I don't know the situation on buying baby supplies in Ubud nowadays.
I remember that diapers in general are quite expensive in Indonesia and specially the ones that are not made of plastic. I recall we were always searching for Mami Poko because they were made of paper.
Bottles of baby food where sold in Ubud, but I guess in Denpasar you can find more choice.
Milk powder is easy to find, but a lot are more sweet than in Holland/Belgium(?). Our baby liked it anyway.
I don't know about the chance to find special medicine for small problems, like special noose spray for babies (we brought that stuff). Also the junior version of paracetamol (for fever, pain, like sinaspril ) is probably not available. Maybe others have more information on this topic?
Bringing a stroller (buggy) to Ubud is maybe also not really usefull as I recall you quickly give up on transporting you baby/toddler like that with the high sidewalks, holes in the road and racing motorbikes.
My main concern towards safety is the traffic, also in the streets of Ubud it can be busy.

The good thing about Ubud is that it is less hot, the beach is not really next door, you need a car drive of about an hour to the beaches at Kuta/Sanur or Pandangbai/Candidasa.
More specific information can probably be better given by people living in or around Ubud.

We (mixed Dutch-Sumatran) also move back to Indonesia in a few months, but might choose an other part of Indonesia. I agree with the concern of education. I did find out that in the south of Bali (Canggu) at the Sunrise school they provide Dutch language and culture lessons for a reasonable price (you can check this info at http://www.stnob.nl and search on Indonesia). An other option is home teaching with e-mail support from Dutch teachers, I found an affordable option from two Dutch primary school teachers (http://www.koeienletters.com).
Also there is an forum member from Holland that is offering her teaching services in Bali.

I wish you good luck and a nice time in Bali. If we are on Bali I will inform if you are still there, our kids are the same age.

kuuan

May 8, 2005
Ubud
Nowadays there are a few supermarkets in Ubud, the biggest being Delta Dewata, which are stocked well. No reason to go down to Denpasar, though you can save a bit of money on diapers if you go to 'Macro', the biggest shop on the bypass road near Kuta.
Being cooler than the beach places is an advantage for some.
I don't know if there is an expat school running now.
There are some dutch.
It may be more family friendly than Kuta area since there are less trafic jams and many traditional people live around who like kids a lot.
Though Ubud has a lot of tourism it could be the best choice for somebody shying the Kuta area for being too busy and it's tourist ghetto life style ( well, there some might disagree, my personal view ) but still looking for facilities.
It's an easy place to live, safety could be an issue though.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
If you talk to most all Ubud area expats, the one thing that is most consistent is that they wouldn't live anywhere else on Bali. That's it! :shock:

lise

Nov 6, 2002
I vote for Ubud as well. The south... it's not Bali down there. One trip south a week for beach and supplies works fine.

dawnofjedi

Mar 8, 2004
Ubud / New York
Well, I dont know if I would say that Ubud is the "real Bali", but I will definitely say it is as fine a place to live as anywhere in Bali. I have spent the past almost six months living in a small village just north of the Ubud center area, and I cant say it was anything less than a positive experience.

Essentially, the central areas of Ubud are well set up with any sort of facilities desired. Two big shopping markets with fresh local and imported foods. Abundant internet connections, restaurants, shops of all sorts. And very nice houses at reasonable prices in the villages beyond. It takes some time and maybe sometimes a little luck to get the right arrangements, but in the end, the opportunities are out there. Just remember though, that if you plan to live in the small village near Ubud, most of the villagers dont speak any English!

As for family friendly, definitely. In terms of the people who live there, it is much more of a culturally oriented place, and less of the tourist haven of the south. Most Ubud locals follow traditional customs and thus the area is lively with ceremony. Generally, in an environment like this, children are well accepted and their presence enjoyed. Basically, it is for the most part, a good and wholesome place. And those foreigners or Indonesians from elseware that are attracted to this place, well, they seem to blend well with the overall society and atmosphere here. Of course there are expeceptions, but I am just trying to describe the general atmosphere of Ubud.

And my final thoughts then on Ubud, although certainly not a perfect paradise and subject to all the natural faults of nature and humanity, absolutely is high on nice people, nice landscapes, nice food, nice birds, and a good life. So if that is something that interests you, Ubud is as good a place as there is.

Oh, and if you arent there to swim (cause the current can sometimes be rough), there are several beaches about 20 to 30 minutes away in Gianyar.

And finally, before you decide to stay there, check it out first!

Shakar

OM SHANTI