Thre realities of running a guesthouse/house

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I have tried to read all of the threads here on business in Bali. Many people focus on finance and visas, which of course are important, but no wonder has really talked much about the reality of running a guesthouse.

I think the idea sounds fantastic as some of the places with pools and palm trees look nice, but I imagine the feeling of being on vacation is lost after a week or so. Labor is cheap so you don't have to do the "manual" work, but even with hired help, I am sure there is a lot to do, aside from cleaning the rooms and making sure everything is ok.

Managing the staff, marketing, administration and bookkeeping are some of the things I think would be time consuming and ongoing. Most operators I have seen are on site or at least nearby 24/7.

I have stayed in places like Lake Toba where rooms are 50,000 to 80,000 rupiah a night and I really wonder how some of these places survive.

People probably want to experience a lifestyle change, but I wonder if they are just exchanging one "cubicle" for another.

Alexandre

Nov 21, 2005
London, UK
mind you, Balinese are very difficult to manage.

From experience and in general, their reliability is doubtful, punctuality is an issue, childish behavior, and an extensive need for family time/holidays does not qualify them for what I would call desirable workforce when compared to other places in Asia.

This does not apply to everyone. It is a generalization intended to capture the most recurring traits of the distribution. Depending on their particular situation or life objectives, you will always find candidates that will be more driven and committed.

I didn't mention the positives (apparently smiling, welcoming,...) and will leave it for other posters to jump onboard and start a puputan.

The Javanese tend to be more reliable and work harder.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Mimpiimanis runs a guest house in Lombok and Richard Kalibukbuk runs one in Lovina. I am sure they can help but for me Bali is overun by such businesess and you will need something special to succeed

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
So mimpimanis would you say it is worth it?

I have thought of looking around at property in Bali and other parts of Indonesia. Many people take on staff to cook and clean their house, so i thought if you got a place with a few rooms, it would be a way to earn a bit of money and cover your basic living costs.

I realize it is more of a lifestyle decision than a serious money making venture. One thing I can do is marketing on the internet, which most small/medium operations aren't typically good at.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Nice to hear! Like everything there is the good and the bad. As long as the positive things can outnumber the negative.