The Life of a Balinese Temple

mikeR

Oct 6, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
I am reading Hildred Geertz's wonderful new book "The Life of a Balinese Temple: Artistry, Imagination, and History in a Peasant Village" published 2004 by the University of Hawai'i Press.

Geertz will be familiar to Bali readers as an anthropologist who has been regularly visiting and writing about Bali since the 1950s.

In this beautifully illustrated work (unfortunately only in monochrome) she traces the history of Pura Desa Batuan from earliest times to the present. Her latest research period was in the 1980s with subsequent visits in 1995 and 2000. Of particular interest is her treatment of the influence of tourism on the life of the temple and the art works and reconstructions there.

One statistic stood out in her tourism chapter. She estimates that at the start of the 20th century there was about two acres of rice land to every family on Bali. By 1970 there was less than an acre per family. By 2000 it was estimated that there would only be a quarter acre per family. So profound has modernization been that huge tracts of land have been given up for urban development, tourism and related enterprises. It makes me wonder for the future if tourism does a nosedive and can no longer be relied upon as a source of income. With such profound changes in the Balinese agrarian economy, what does the population do if tourism loses its economic strength?

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Dear Mike
Yes that is the problem,not every balinese has a plot of land,the one that does has no funds to make it fertile. The difficult labor of working in the fields is all done by hands on .
Many have gone off instead into the bigger cities to work in cafe's,hotels (there goes the labor for rice harvesting)
There is plenty of fruit tree's but if its not on your land you cannot touch it,thus many go hungry. In dry season there is no rain/water for irrigation (pumps are too expensive) Everything die's. My last time in Lovina i saw dry rice fields,bonedry rivers,not a drop anywhere. The land in bali is fertile but it needs help via planting seeds/watering. The seeds get eaten by the hungry pigs/geese/chickens,seeds dissapear the farmer looses its entire crop.
So its not just 'having' a piece of land that is needed,its more than that.
Gina Tyler