Thank you all for so many kind words

Roy

The human experience of death has been all too much for me lately. It has taken me by surprise, and without any kindness, vividly reminding me of the images of dying men, women and children that I’ve tried so hard to erase forever in my memory.

These haunting images, the phantoms that are every present, are the real consequences of war. Any combat veteran will tell you, if they can trust you, is that the worst of living though it all, is the memory and dreams that haunt you for all your life.

There is no pleasure in taking a life. Even in combat, I guarantee it will make you cry. It is disgusting and vomiting is not unusual for “first timers.” The essence of war has no glory. War has two victims, the survivors, who are forever plagued by their phantoms, and the lucky dead.

War is waged by politicians. But, war is conducted by young kids, who should never EVER have to experience this horror. War should be the last answer. It should be ONLY the last option of any country. War is hell, in fact, it is the ultimate hell.

God bless the French, German and Russian ambassodors with their efforts to alleviate war in Iraq. Who among us would say war is more appopriate right now...and who, among those that would opt for war has ever fought in one?

Back