Starting a business on bali

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
The Netherlands near Rotterdam
I have read many topics about this subject, but some things still puzzle me.
I want to start a business as al imited liability companie (Perseroan Terbatas, PT) Can this company be a land owner? Can I myself get a visum being the ceo of the company. And because the company will need quit a lot of buildings, who have I to approach for land to built them on?

Also does someone know were I can get al this kind of information from indonesian authorities, so that I would not be suprised be regulations I don't know about?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Hi,

Yes a PT can be land owner (I think) but you cannot be CEO. The PT is solely Indonesian, but can hire you as an consultant and thus give you a visa.

Only with a PMA you can be CEO, and the PMA can own land.

What do you mean with "Who do I approach for land" ?

Best is you ask all details from Bali IDE, they arrange all this sort of stuff.

http://www.bali-expat-business.com

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Hi,

No, there is no association like that in Bali.

I (we) are one of the brokers, and we are Dutch for a large part.
(Canadian, Australian are involved too)

Just type Bali Real Estate or something in google and you have your list.

We just started our dutch site: http://www.villas-in-bali.com/ but it needs to be filled with data...

Did you get it about the difference between the PT and the PMA ?

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
Thanks.

The difference between a PT and PMA is not clear for me yet.

I have now found the BKPM in Holland, and hope they also can help me to understand more about the different structures and possibilities for doing business in Indonesia.

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
The plan I have needs:
- investors
- land
- buildings
- staff and workers
- customers and/or participants

Because of the factor landownership en making it easy for investors to buy and sell shares I want to be sure to make the right choise in juristic/legal person.
Also I still don't now what kind of other legalities I will find on my path.
I have heard about a negative list of foreign investments, something about business that are only allowed when a large perecentage of the shares are owned by indonesian people and so on.

What I still couldn't find is a one stop shop for al those questions.

Everything I read and hear makes it even more complex.
For example, I have heard that a foreigner can not own land. (Hak Milik) This right is for indonesian only. But somekind of business, I am told, could own land?? However on the internet I could not find a site that explains how this works.

Therefor I think I have to do a lot of reading and research before make the first real move.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
WHat you are looking for is a PMA, a foreign investment company.

The PMA can own land, and you can sell shares of this PMA.

The PMA can own land, and can be owned by foreigners.

To raise a PMA costs between 30-40 million rp and a minimum bank deposit of around 100.000 USD.

Click on the VISA Indonesia button on top of this page, that company can help you set up a PMA, and tell you more about it...