Short and Concise Questions

Richard

Hello All,

I often fail to practice what I preach. If you want answers, I know, you have to keep your questions brief and to the point, preferably in a yes or no format.

1. Is it possible to find a reasonable, detached, small house outside of the congested areas, for USD150 per month or less?

2. Is it possible to rent monthly, or do you normally have to pay an annual sum?

3. Is anywhere within the 0631 area code a local call? If so, what are the charges? If not, what is the range of a local call for internet access?

4. If eating mainly rice and produce from the local markets, what roughly is the cost? For instance, we (my girlfriend and I) can live easily here in Krabi on 2 to 3 dollars a day.

5. Most important, how much is a big bottle of local beer at a local shop?

6. Do you really have to have an international drivers license authorized for motorcycles to ride one?

7. How do I get the privilege of having a dashing picture of myself on the forum like most of you?

I know I could figure all these things out when I get there (maybe in a few weeks), but it's nice to have an idea beforehand. Many thanks, and please feel free to elaborate.

Richard

A bit of help anyway

But first,a question for you. Why would you ever want to leave Krabi, Thailand? Just curious...and that is all.

OK...here we go, but don't expect too much.

1. Is it possible to find a reasonable, detached, small house outside of the congested areas, for USD150 per month or less?

Yes, most certainly it is. It will take time to find it, but it is indeed findable.

2. Is it possible to rent monthly, or do you normally have to pay an annual sum?

Again, yes, but the best per monthly rates are amortized long time contracts. Best to negotiate in person AFTER you have found your "dream place."

3. Is anywhere within the 0631 area code a local call? If so, what are the charges? If not, what is the range of a local call for internet access?

Phone charges vary with considerable excesses. Best to ask this question once you are here, and have found your "dream house." It took me four years to get a "land line" and even then only from my bankrupt neighbor.

4. If eating mainly rice and produce from the local markets, what roughly is the cost? For instance, we (my girlfriend and I) can live easily here in Krabi on 2 to 3 dollars a day.

2 to 3 US dollars (assuming you meant US dollars) will yield you about 18,000 to 26,000 rupiah a day. If you are asking about home cooked meals from produce and nasi (rice) bought at the market or warungs daily, then yes, you will eat very well.

5. Most important, how much is a big bottle of local beer at a local shop?

Sorry, don't drink it, so I have no idea...but I've told at warungs, a large bottle of Bintang, (warm, never refrigerated) is about 6 to 7 thousand rupiah. Under a dollar for sure.

6. Do you really have to have an international drivers license authorized for motorcycles to ride one?

Pass on this. I wouldn't be caught dead on a bike, as that would be the likely outcome. Maaf.

7. How do I get the privilege of having a dashing picture of myself on the forum like most of you?

That's a question for Bert. Likely he's listening and will provide you with this info...and likely also tell you about the motorbike license information you ask for as well. If Bert doesn't reply, just send him a private message. He is most diligent.

Anyway, welcome to Bali! And good luck here.

Answer to Your 1st Question

There is some budget accomodation in Ubud @ $100-125 per month.
I'm told these rates are negotiable.
I can't vouch for the quality, location etc as it's not my cup of tea but you'll find info at http://www.maddogproductions.com/sawah/economy.htm.
Once you have feedback on this & the other topics you are researching, can you pls post on this forum - could be helpful to others.
Thanks.

Richard said:

6: I don't have a drivers license, I do have 20.000 to 50.000 when I get caught. There are way to get one if you have some sort of visum, I might try to find it out later.

7: Scroll down in you profile, look a t the avatar section....

Why Leave Krabi?

Thanks to the others who have posted, it seems, while I was writing this offline.

Thank you very much for your feedback, Roy. Very helpful. As for Krabi, I don't think of it so much as leaving. Actually, I own land here, and hope to build a little bungalow for occasional retreats, and rent it out when I'm not here. My girlfriend wants us to be able to spend some time up near her family (in Ubon Ratchadani, near the Mekong, a lovely place, too), especially if we choose to have kids, and I hear Bali is good for children, as well. However, I'd go mad there if I did anything permanent, for certain, in the same way you mentioned about having to get off the Island at least every six months (that was you, was it not?). There is also a time when you feel saturated and find you are not learning anymore. I suppose I am always in need of the stimulation associated with learning about a new culture, people, and language. Also, in a way, the loss of one of my good friends here (he is not dead, but in a coma from a motorbike accident) has left a bit of a void, as well. In a way, I've sacrificed affluence (by becoming a freelance translator who works very little) for the ability to move around. So I guess the Short and Concice way to put it is: I am leaving because I can. Living the dry season up country in Thailand, while it rains in Bali, and vice versa, sort of seems right, though I like the rain too. Interesting how our seasons are turned around. I will keep coming back to Krabi, too.

From the information you provided, I can conclude that I have to look for a house that already has a land line. In the Ubud area is it relatively common for a house to have a land line? If I lived within walking distance of an internet cafe with Japanese language enabled computers, I might get away without a land line. As you say, I guess I will have to work that out when I get there.

Good to hear that my expectations about food (I love to cook) and low-cost housing are realistic.

If you do not ride a motorcycle, how do you get around? Car? Water buffalo? Public transportation? Mostly curious.

Thanks

Richard

Back