Selamat Hari Raya Ramadan

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I wish all my Muslim brothers and sisters a peaceful and spiritually engaging Ramadan fasting season.

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Thanks Roy

For all persons in this forum, before fasting in this Holy month, i hope that you can forgive me if i have made any mistake or write something wrong that indirectly hurt you, sorry.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Smusdar

You have nothing to forgive :)

As for Ramadan out of 1063 souls under my management only 42 are not muslim. I will be following Ramadan and fasting myself so as not to offend my people.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Smusdar, that is so very much in the spirit and meaning of Ramadan. As Jimbo said, you have nothing to apologize for here.

Jimbo, wow, that is way off the top. For posters who don't understand what is involved with Ramadan fasting, one is not allowed anything to eat or drink from sun rise until sun down. After sundown, breaking fast is usually done with family and close friends.

I admire you Jimbo for your personal sacrifice and your devotion to your staff.

Mark Wales

Aug 16, 2006
Wales, United Kingdom
Dear all,
forgive me for butting in. I recall Ramadan in India (before my divorce!) when most of our craftsmen were muslim. when the holy month of fasting
came I looked forward to sharing the "Roza" evening meal with my workers. The food was - dates, bananas, sayweya(vermicilli in milk sweetened with gajari, cashewnuts, other dried fruits and topped with saffron), a mixture of rice and lentils with the most delicious mutton curry,
and ofcourse the chappatis, paranthas and naans etc.
I was wondering what our friends eat at the break of fast. it would be interesting. I have requested my sponsor today (who is a muslim and keeping the fast) to call me to his home one day for a meal. I must say he
was delighted. I am looking forward to it! Anyone care to join me???

Salaam Waleykum to all our Muslim Brothers.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Back from the Yemen today. I never thought that I would be happy to come back here but compared with there well at least I feel a bit safer. The people met were great however and all in all I am pleased to have been even if it was just to see the changes since my last vist in 1980.

Arrived at Jeddah and was told I would have to wait around for 6 hours to see if I could leave. I had been bumped. Talk about angry. I was so pleased just to see my bed. I had a can of heinz baked beans from my private stock in ceebration. (A rare treat out here)

I then realised I had broken my fast so so much for my good intentions. I was not observed however so I might get away with it :)

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Dear All,
as human, i make mistake ... sometimes i don´t see that. I like that Ramadhan open the chance to think about that...and i think, it would be very good that we keep this good spirit for the other month too. Peace for all in the world and "Maaf lahir batin"
-Dyah

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I like that Ramadhan open the chance to think about that...and i think, it would be very good that we keep this good spirit for the other month too.

Those are words that I would unequivocally say AMEN to! Selamat hari raya Ramadan, Dyah!

Jimbo, welcome home, and as you are fasting along with your staff, you certainly deserve a "Selamat hari raya Ramadan" as well.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Mark, the break fast meals that you discussed is for me too, an interesting topic, and I hope that some of our posters offer their own ways of breaking fast during Ramadan. The menus and meals offered to break fast will be varied, and indicative of the great cultural diversity that defines Indonesia.

I agree with you that being invited, and participating in the "Roza" as you call it, is a great privilege, and a unique experience.

Anyone, regardless of race, creed or color should feel honored to participate in the break fast tradition during Ramadan. An invitation to break fast with a family is an honor, and it should be accepted that way.

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
Dyah...your last post said volumes for me . The whole world should take time to see the errors we (as people) have made each year , and take steps to correct them . I hope your holiday is peaceful and time is spent with the ones you love , and find it in your heart love someone you didnt the year before . well wishs Jamie ...Jimbo off top . I like B&M beans myself ..love them really (with milk)

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
For my husband's family in Lombok, they break the fast like this:

First up a long cold drink - if money allows they get fresh coconut juice with ice & sugar (street vendors everywhere during Ramadan sell plastic bags with freshly opened coconut and block of ice - yum). Boy when you are thirsty it is GOOD.

Otherwise papaya or pinapple juice - whatever it is a treat. The smokers will have a cigarette first, then a coffee/cold drink. Fasting also means no ciggies.

Then they eat fruit: papaya, pineapple, banana. Later they have the usual rice with tempe & plucing, but will also have other treats going around that the women make - small cakes, savory biscuits, etc.

They also often get up about 3am and have a meal before Fajr. Fasting starts at Fajr, not sunrise, which is around 1 hour before sunrise. It will be left-overs from the night before, small cakes, coffee.

They will have special food (meat, curry, etc) at Idul Fitri - the end of Ramadan.

For us in Australia, mostly we will have similar to what we normally eat, but on the lighter side. I know one Egyptian family who have full on feasts every night, and every morning (before Fajr). We prefer to keep it simple. :D

Freo

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
They also often get up about 3am and have a meal before Fajr. Fasting starts at Fajr, not sunrise, which is around 1 hour before sunrise. It will be left-overs from the night before, small cakes, coffee.

Many thanks Freo for clarrifying that point regarding the point of day that fasting begins.

It sounds like you fast during Ramadan as well? I know several expats who converted to Islam when they married, and I always admire their willingness to embrace their choice in a dedicated manner, rather than a quick end to the means of marriage.

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
I live north of the artic cirkle so I ask my muslim friend what they do if ramadan is in the winter( no sun) and in the summer (sun 24 hours) They told me in the winter they eat all day :? and in the summer they follow the sunset in their home country. I dont know if all muslims here do that. lucky for them ramadan this year is when the days and nights are 12 hours

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Smusdar

On the topic of forgiveness I started some 20 something years ago to ask all for forgiveness at the start of the new year so I fully understand. In fact if memory serves me well it was someone in Indonesia asking me that started my own personal request.

I think it is a great custom and also helps to solve problems with friends and family plus workmates and acquaintances you have upset over the year so as to start anew.

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Jamie, Om Rom .. thanks for your post.

It´s first day of Ramadhan. I can call my family in the night (Indonesian time), than i know they have their eat "sahur" at 2.30-4.00. in the first time of Ramdhan, many people take their time to enjoying how good the aire of the morning... "jalan-jalan pagi"

i´m here since 1992... and visit Indonesia just in sommer (my husband and i have long vacation just in sommer) ... also during this 14 years i never see, hear or smell Ramadhan or Lebaran (final of Ramadhan) in Indonesia.

Sometimes i miss that, it´s like nostalgia... what you eat, what you do etc in this holly month. As children, they can have special condition ... they can eat, when they will, but if they fast until the break-fast-time... they become special attention or maybe gift :lol: .

But...
Ramadhan mean in Indonesia "high-price" for many items in the market :cry:.
It´s bad, very bad for many family.

-Dyah-

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Re: RE: Selamat Hari Raya Ramadan

Roy said:
It sounds like you fast during Ramadan as well? I know several expats who converted to Islam when they married, and I always admire their willingness to embrace their choice in a dedicated manner, rather than a quick end to the means of marriage.

Roy, I didn't have to become Muslim when I got married, it was a personal choice. I wouldn't call it converting as I did not have a religion prior to Islam.

I also know expats who have 'converted' in name only when they married, both Muslim and Hindu. Personally I admire the women who take on Hinduism - all that work at the temple!! :eek:

Freo

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Hi Pak Jim :)

COmmonly in indonesia people will oepn their house for their neighbour and relatives/ family/ colleagues so they can forgive each other..
But since i tried to learn more about my religion 10 years ago, I knew that the right thing is i must be "clean" as human before beginning my fasting. at least one day before Ramadhan I will call or visit my friends and my family to say sorry to them..

In javanese people and also some of west java, they adapt this as we can see "padusan", while men take a bath in a pond or river (i saw the picture in KOmpas, SUnday edition)

I start to learn fasting when i was 5 years..but of course not finished until magrib (afternoon) :D

In bandung, they have an interesting custom to wake up people to eat before fajr. They bring some gendang (traditional drum)..can u imagine? I am so shocked at my first ramadhan in bandung ...At 2 AM 4-10 men play their instrumental means...and one man sing some sundanese song...