Satellite Television

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with Astro satellite TV out of Malayasia?

I believe it is now available in Indonesia.

I am particularly interested to know if cricket is available on one of the sport channels. I can find it on the Malayasian website program list but not on the Indonesian site.

My goal will be to get Roy excited in the game of cricket when I move over to Bali next year. I can just see him glued to the TV for 5 days watching a test match. :roll: !!!!!

Ned

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
After the recent fiasco regarding the supposed "molested ball" I highly doubt I will ever get into that game.

Anyway, we've been on Indovision for years and have no complaints. Cheers Ned!

Norm

Sep 16, 2006
Australia/Ubud
What is the coverage of the "World Game" like in Bali?

And whilst on the subject I know there is a football (soccer) field in Ubud so does that mean there is a Football Club and, if so, does anyone know of any contacts for that club?

Many thanks

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Norm, many villages, or banjars within Bali have sports teams. While badminton is the national sport of Indonesia, football and volleyball are also extremely popular.

The Balinese are exceptional athletes, and they really enjoy sport. The Balinese have an amazing hand eye coordination thing going on with them. Both Balinese men and women are capable of great physical strength and endurance.

Yes, at the football field in Ubud there are many organized “league” games between various villages. In my village, we built an amazing volleyball stadium a few years back, and we regularly host village volleyball league competitions.

If you end up living here, you can easily find out what the particular sport is that is favored by your village, and take an active role. Volunteer coaching would be much appreciated by the local young athletes.

For sports coverage on Indovision, they carry both ESPN and Star Sports.

Norm

Sep 16, 2006
Australia/Ubud
Wow,

Thanks Roy,

Let's hope I do get there. I would love to be involved in sport at junior or senior level. I have been involved in soccer in both England and Australia for many years as player (long ago) referee (which I never enjoyed) and coach at both junior and senior level. I have also coached athletics - but am not qualified to do so.