Sad to see...

juskiff

Just got back from spending a weekend in Kuta/Seminyak area. After having been gone for over 3 months, we decided to spend the weekend in Kuta. I wonder if it is just us or it's always been that way....... As we always do whenever we spend a weekend in Kuta, one of the main thing is to walk on the beach from Kuta all the way towards Seminyak beach to end up somewhere near La Lucciola. We were so shocked to see the beautiful beach was littered with trash.... trash trash trash as far as our eyes can see. Are we all in denial here??? No one is coming to Bali!!!! We are all so busy talking about how to get the tourists back, but we forgot to clean house... What shall we do?

Augie

Paradise Lost?

Actually the pollution of Bali is an interesting phenomena..... but at the same time incomprehensible.

Throughout the year there are many, many cleansing ceremonies in Bali. People go to the temples to pray, performing the socalled Upacara Yadnya. Every Balinese Hindu does so. However, how many are there that really remember what these ceremonies are for?

The Upacara Yadnya are performed to remind oneself of Tatwa & Susila, cleansing their Niskala, one's thoughts, controlling emotions, preserving an inner balance and preserving the balance with 'the outside world'.

It is interesting to ask the average Balinese to explain to you about their Upacare Yadnya, I seldom hear explanations referring to Tatwa & Susila.

Clean beaches, clean streets, clean rivers, clean ponds ........ like needles in haystacks they can be found in Bali.

Lucky there are exceptions, like in Nusa Dua where streets and beaches are structurally cleaned.

A few days ago I was sitting on the terrace of Sea Breeze at the Pantai Binaria in Lovina central. In the afternoon four Balinese men arrived with a big basket and started to clean the beach in front of Sea Breeze.

Although Bali is not known, or widely advertised as a Beach Holiday Destination, there seems to be Hope that, one day, Paradise could be regained.

April 1st, the day before Nyepi, will be Melasti again. People from nearby villages will go in procession to the beach to perform their cleansing ceremonies, cleansing their inside world. Hopefully, one day, they will also start spending some time cleansing the outside world, the beaches, the streets.

Mudah-mudahan.....

Unfortunate and correct

that it's dirty. Many of my friends are going to other destinations now, and that's all people who have real money. There is no convincing them to return - and I myself also don't feel too drawn to swim in a plastic sea. It's been for years now, and as I see it, this kind of pollution is the REAL and ABSOLUTE danger to Bali tourism. There are too many places which are nicer for the average sunbather-tourist - and cheaper as well.

Rubbish

Could I just remind everyone that it is the wet season and there is always more rubbish on the beaches at this time of the year. The rains wash all and sundry down from the villgages "upstream" as it were and that is why we get so much more right now. It can't possibly because the place is full of Tourists as there are none here in this neck of the woods.In fact we have been wondering where all the surplus plastic aqua bottles are, theres none to be found...No tourists, no aqua bottles even if we do need a few for our coconut oil...Amazing that, as this time last year there were thousands of excess plastic bottles around and now not one....relflection of the times I guess. By the way Hello to Jeff and Augie, we are still alive and kicking....just. Would be good to hear from you both...Love as always...G...

Back