balinews

ALLAN Byrne had three big loves his family, surfing monster waves and making world-renowned surfboards.

Shockwaves rolled across the surfing world yesterday at the death of the legendary Gold Coast board shaper after a motorbike accident in Bali. He had been in a coma in a Bali hospital after crashing his bike last Friday while on a surf trip to the Indonesian holiday island.

His wife of 30 years Jayne, sons Michael, Jamie and Matt and brother Ian were at his bedside.

His passing has shocked the close-knit Gold Coast surfing community.

The super-fit 62-year-old had survived horror wipeouts, heart surgery and even being accidentally run over by his wife in their driveway, and friends and family had hoped he could again defy death.

``I've lost my best friend,'' a tearful Hot Stuff Surfboards boss Paul Hallas, who had been mates with Mr Byrne for four decades, said from the US where he is holidaying.

``Everyone's just devastated we all thought he would pull through again like he always has.''

Surf icon Allan Byrne dies in Bali accident Local Gold Coast News | goldcoast.com.au | Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

ALLAN Byrne had three big loves his family, surfing monster waves and making world-renowned surfboards.

Shockwaves rolled across the surfing world yesterday at the death of the legendary Gold Coast board shaper after a motorbike accident in Bali. He had been in a coma in a Bali hospital after crashing his bike last Friday while on a surf trip to the Indonesian holiday island.

His wife of 30 years Jayne, sons Michael, Jamie and Matt and brother Ian were at his bedside.

His passing has shocked the close-knit Gold Coast surfing community.

The super-fit 62-year-old had survived horror wipeouts, heart surgery and even being accidentally run over by his wife in their driveway, and friends and family had hoped he could again defy death.

``I've lost my best friend,'' a tearful Hot Stuff Surfboards boss Paul Hallas, who had been mates with Mr Byrne for four decades, said from the US where he is holidaying.

``Everyone's just devastated we all thought he would pull through again like he always has.''

Surf icon Allan Byrne dies in Bali accident Local Gold Coast News | goldcoast.com.au | Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Tragic for his family and friends. A statistic to everyone else. More anti Bali fodder for the hungry news media.

:topsy_turvy:

Back