New Kid On The Block

tracyinaz

Oct 1, 2006
Phoenix Arizona
Hello!My name is Tracy and my husband, Don, and I are planning on moving to Bali in August of 2007. We currently live in Phoenix, Arizona USA. We came to Bali in May of 2005 on our honeymoon and fell in love with the island and its people. Never have I felt so peaceful and safe. I am a well traveled woman and even lived in Europe for two year, and I have never been to a place that made me want to move immediately, like Bali did! My husband is in full agreement!

We are hoping to get some advice and make some new friends. It'd be nice to know people when we get there. It is our intention to work at a resort in Nusa Dua and find a place to live in the surrounding area.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the folks in this forum. I've been reading a lot of the posts and it looks like there are some very nice (funny too!) people here. My kind of folks!

Tracy
"Don't dream it, be it"

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Welcome Tracy and Don to the forum...and welcome to Bali too! I really like your sign off...”Don't dream it, be it." In one way or another, all of us who have chosen Bali as home would understand that...as after all, we all did it one way or another.

You and Don will most likely find it very easy to make friends here...and they will come from all over the world, as well the local people.

Having been to Phoenix a few times, and Scottsdale a few times more, I can say that the climate in Nusa Dua will not be what you are used to...not as dry, but both assuredly hot!

The forum archives are full of valuable information, and well worth spending time researching, but by all means, don’t be shy about asking questions. So, once again, welcome...in both respects!

tracyinaz

Oct 1, 2006
Phoenix Arizona
Thanks Roy! I had a feeling you would be one of the first to respond! I have been reading posts for the better part of two hours and you have made me laugh quite a bit. What I'd call " a real pistol"!

Even though I've been in Phoenix, (I actually live in Scottsdale!) for a long time, I'm originally from Miami, Florida, so the climate in Bali felt like home! My husband, on the other hand, is a colorado boy! Needless to say, he did whine a little about the humidity! I just can't wait to get there!

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney
"Don't dream it, be it"

I too love this saying!!! Welcome to the forum Tracy!!! Do you already have work lined up in Nusa Dua or will you wing it when you get here??

Go for it guys!! I wish you all the best of luck - but with your motto in life you'll make your own!!! :D

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Welocome Tracy in AZ. I felt the same way about Bali after my first landing!!! And I continue to find great pleasure when exiting the airport here. But no competition with either AZ or FL when it comes to heat. I lived in the Grove for 5 years and in the Arizona Biltmore for 5 days, ha. Miami in July is f'n hot hot hot, you just don't notice it so much what with the personal 24/7 360o a/c envelope required to make the city livable - I'll bet Pheonix is the same, yes? Cheers!

tracyinaz

Oct 1, 2006
Phoenix Arizona
Hey DCC! You lived in the grove for 5 years? Ahh...what a beautiful part of miami! I remember when I was a kid my mom would drive us through there so we could see the venetian. It's a gated community now. You have to be Madonna, Rosie, or Dan the man Marino to get through the gates now!

Hey Charlie, I'm glad you love the quote! A favorite that i live by! Do you know the source? It might surprise you!

Thanks for making me feel welcome! As soon as I figure out how to hook my camera up to my computer I'll get a pic up. I'm as computer stupid as they come!!!!

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Welcome Tracinaz,

Charlie asked if you had work lined up I would be interested in knowing that also. :lol:

tracyinaz

Oct 1, 2006
Phoenix Arizona
Yes Cahrlie, you are correct! It's a quote from Frankenfurter! Weird source, but great quote!

Hi Tina! We don't exactly have jobs lined up yet, but my husband works in the food and hospitality industry here in Scottsdale and we have some connections that may be able to get us into one of the resorts in Nusa Dua. Although, if you have any ideas or suggestions we welcome them! Mainly it's Don the needs the job. I have a Auto broker business that I can still maintain from Bali online so I'm ok. I would like to pick up a job while I'm there, though.

Can you give me an idea of what the rent on an apartment or house big enough for just two people would run in american dollars a month? I've been reading the forum, but a lot of the answers to that question are dated or in rupiah. I understand rupiah, but once it starts getting into the millions I have trouble figuring it into US dollars. Anyone with answers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers to everyone! Have a bintang for me til I can get there!

Tracy

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Welcome Tracy! :)

I've been looking for a property in Bali for when we move there next year. As far as price goes, well..... depends on area and standard you want. You could get a decent small house for USD4000 pa (maybe even less!) but then you could also get a more luxurious small house with pool, etc for USD20000 pa (maybe even more)! It all depends I'm afraid......

tracyinaz

Oct 1, 2006
Phoenix Arizona
Hi Irma! When are you moving there? I was looking at some listings of rentals that they had online and I must say that compared to what we pay here in Arizona the rates are extremely reasonable. In fact, I found several that the yearly rent was only what we pay in 4 months!!! We can live on that!

Where in england are you from? I lived in Woodbridge just outside of Ipswich for 2 years. Great times! God I miss the rain! The weather is beautiful right now in Phx, but, no rain!

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Hallo Tracy,
Selamat datang-Wellcome! It´s nice to talk about dream an plan living in Bali. It´s right, here in this forum you can find more and more information from 1st hand about their experience.
In five year will be our first step to move to Bali, my husband and i would be spend our time 6 month in Bali and 6 months here... now i can just dream it. We have one house there in jimbaran and every year just for five weeks we are there.

Salam-Regards from rainy city Hamburg (but we have good weather in this year), Dyah

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Hi Tracy

The plan is early 2007 but we'll have to wait & see. The problem is my eldest son who's training to be a tennis coach, just found out that he may not finish until Nov 07!!! :shock: (Aaaaargh!!!)

Yes there are lots of properties there for rent, some have great price tags but some have really ridiculous prices!! It's better to look when you're there really so that you could inspect the quality yourself. Pictures could be deceiving!

We live nr Manchester, of course ..... complete with the rain and all!! Jimbo from this Forum will tell you! (Where are you Jimbo matey? You haven't welcomed our new member! Not like you....) :wink:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I love to see freash meat..... oops I mean new members :) and you are very welcome. There is so much information in the archives here and many questions have been previously answered I hope you find what you are looking for.

As for me I have not seen much rain here for the last year or so but it would be nice for a change.

tracyinaz

Oct 1, 2006
Phoenix Arizona
Hi Irma! Sorry it took so long for me to reply! October is birthday month in my world! Almost everyone in my life, including me has a birthday this month! Been busy partying!

So your son is going to be a tennis pro, huh? Good for him! If you have to wait for Nov. 07, you'll be moving around the same time we are! Maybe we could help eachother. What is making you leave lovely and jolly old england? Besides the fact that Bali is paradise? I loved living in England. The smell of grass make me happy.

I know I said previously that we were moving to Bali because we fell in love with the place, and that IS the main reason, although, 2 years ago, in our last presidential election, I became so disgusted by my fellow Americans and their uninformed choices that I told my husband that I wanted to leave our country altogether! Not that I am not proud to be an American, just fed up with our politics and our government! Many people here feel this way. I have many friends in the states who have moved away due to this problem! I love my country, but, I'd rather not live here while it is being run with such ineptitude!

Wow! Sorry about the political soapbox. I know that this forum is not necessarily for that. I'd be interested in what Jimbo thinks. For the record, I did serve in the military for 4 years. W's daddy was in office then!

Jimbo, thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I hope the "meat" was fresh enough for you! Tell me, what are you doing in Saudi? I have a good friend that was on assignment in Riyahd about 2 years ago. Where are you?

I guess I'll quit babbling now. In the meantime, bintangs for everyone and remember....

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Hi Tracy,

Happy birthday to you then! :) Hope you got lots of pressies! (As well as giving them by the sound of it!)

Yeah.... that son of mine always causes trouble!! :wink: Maybe I'll leave him behind with my hubby, so I go first with my little one as planned early next year!! He, he.... that would be good! Doubt it would happen that way though.

Why am I leaving the lovely smell of green green grass of England? Well I love it here too, but I'm Indonesian and have been here for 20 years, so I reckon it's time to go back to my first home. I want my 2 boys to get to know their other half of heritage.

Tracy, would be happy to help each-other. Definitely! Which area are you thinking of moving to? We're pretty set on Sanur I think.