My 9 yr old can't swim- trip to Bali a mistake?

Mo

Jul 18, 2005
New Zealand
Yep, my 4-year old 'swims' as well as any 4-year old can, but my 9-year old had a bad scare a while back in the water and won't put her head under despite many m onths of swimming lessons. Am putting her in private lessons from tomorrow, but am beginning to wonder if maybe our 2 month trip to Bali planned for Sept/Oct should maybe be postponed until she's a proficient swimmer? I had to rescue her fully clothed from the bottom of a swimming pool a year back, and am beginning to feel nervous about spending a few months on an island where water in some form or another is everywhere. My biggest nightmare is that both of my kids fall in a pool or pond or some such and I have to try to rescue both of them at the same time.

Should I be worried??

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
If you stay away from pools you'r probably ok.

Joining (?) you in your worries are all the Balinese parents, most Balinese children (and adults) can't swim... still they play a lot on the shore line...

Iris

Feb 6, 2003
Holland
Well, my husband (Indonesian) is a former Indonesian swimming champion and also a swimming coach/instructor, he has learned lots of children how to swim. Maybe it is time he will come to Bali 8)

Iris

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
When our daughter was younger & we stayed in a few places as we travelled around that had pools, we were also worried, but she never fell in & when playing outside whilst we were busy I soon noticed that every staf member of the Losmen, or hotel etc was gathered around singing & dancing with her & there was no time she was in danger!

I am sure your kids will be fine too, sour daughter has now been doing swimming lessons for a year + & will no doubt cause us more trouble as she is now confident!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Another point, which I know all too well having three boys under 5 years of age, is that many hotel pools, and "public pools" have a "kids" pool which is about 2/3 meter deep. At least there, they can cool off, enjoy the water, and play with friends. Check with the hotels you are thinking of booking if they have a kids pool right next to the adult pool.

As Bert says, at the ocean, playing by the shore seems to be fine even for those with a great fear. He's also right with might seem very surprising, i.e. that most Balinese can't swim either. Lovina beaches are normally very calm, as in Jimbaran and Candidasa.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
If you are going to play in the ocean with any kind of shore break then PLEASE be careful! Don't turn your back on the waves and watch out for riptide! Water can seem so harmless in many ways but don't let it fool you... even little waves can knock you down and drag you out to sea! Kuta beach for example, which has lots of kids playing in the water, can at times be very dangerous! Don't mean to discourage you, you and your kids will love playing in the ocean, just be careful and don't take your eyes of them for even a second!

I am starting to hate reading this forum... everyone is going to Bali but me! ... wahhh!!! :cry:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I agree, Kuta beaches are not for kids. I would never think of taking mine there, and that is why I mentioned much "child friendlier" beaches on Bali which are, Lovina, Jimbaran and Candidasa.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
"2/3 meters deep" meaning two thirds of a meter deep, or about 66 cm. Ma'af for the misunderstanding. :oops: Two or three meters would indeed be deep, even for me! :shock:

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Roy you always give sound advice! I did notice the beaches you mentioned and agree with you 100%. I am just wanted to raise awareness of beaches like Kuta and the reasons why. Hope you did not take it as me down playing your post, this was not the case at all!

Cheers!

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Roy you always give sound advice! I did notice the beaches you mentioned and agree with you 100%. I just wanted to raise awareness of beaches like Kuta and the reasons why. Hope you did not take it as me down playing your post, this was not the case at all!

Cheers!