Motor Bikes

Roses

Aug 20, 2005
Warrnambool
Hello All,
I was hoping some kind person may be able to reccomend a good motor bike dealer I can contact from here in Australia. I am wanting to buy a small used bike to help a young man we are assisting with education get to his school. He comes from Abang and has moved south for school and is currently going to have to walk 5k's each way at irregular hours as there are no Bemos on the route. I would love to hear from anyone who may be able to advise.

Roses.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hello Roses

...I am wanting to buy a small used bike to help a young man we are assisting with education get to his school...

It's a very admirable thing you are trying to do.

Many years ago, I sponsored a young boy possibly from the same village. I was already paying his school fees, buying school clothes, books, pens, etc. And he gave me a similar story to you, about transport. I quizzed him a bit about this:

"Why do you really need a motorbike?"

His thinking was that if he had a motorbike, he could rent it out and make some extra money on the side. Nothing wrong with that, per se, except for how much time would he be spending trying to rent the thing and not being in school? I resisted at the time, and he was no more the worse for it. Walking 5kms in Bali is not necessarily a big deal - it's more about "fashion" and "looks" (especially these days). He didn't get a motorbike from me but managed anyway. Eventually, he got a job in Benoa (a long way from Abang), with some boating business. He survived, in other words...we still laugh about the motorbike bullshit.

In any case, used motorbikes in Bali are not hard to find. If you trust/believe him enough, get him to find one and let you know how much it costs. On the other hand, maybe you could consider buying him a used bemo so he can provide a service that doesn't exist in his area? A new business.

Attempts at empowering poor Balinese to take responsibility for their own lives is a wonderful thing. The kick-start they might need is not all that expensive, by western standards. The two-way dialogue to get to the roots of what they imagine they want can be a bit hard. Find out and then something more positive can ensue, both now and in the future. Mere gifts of money is never enough and even undesirable, in my opinion. Please consider.

:)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Sanurian,

Your answer to Roses’ query is right on the money: great insight in psychology in general and the Balinese youth’s in particular. You obviously must have passed Psych 101 with flying colors.

I also think the bit about
...buying him a used bemo...
worth investigating, which could lead to some new, unforeseen opportunities. Abang area is rather isolated, and I would guess public transport to be limited. But first, a serious market survey is a must.

Roses

Aug 20, 2005
Warrnambool
Sanurian and Tin Tin,
Thank you for your replies. Yes it is hard to know what is the best thing to do in particular circumstances, and you can't blame people for asking you to help when you yourself have started the ball rolling so to speak. I am involved In Australia on a voluntary basis outside of work with disabled people, and this young guy has a sister with cerebal palsy. His family is quite poor as far as I can see, no motor bikes TV etc. and look to him to help support the family, hence our interest in his gaining a good education.
Yes I am aware that 5 k's each way is not impossible, used to do 3 each way myself, but the hours of study at college are irregular. Still I am sure he will cope, as I have so far found the Balinese to be a resourcefull bunch. I think we will leave it in abeyance at the moment, and check it out on our next trip over. Thanks for your advice. I certainly do not want to spoil our young friend.

Roses.

G

Dear Roses,

Great to hear of your support to the young boy and his family. I have a similar situation.

We have been sponsoring a family from Tabanan for the past 7 years - one of the twin sons (Nyoman) has cerebal palsy - the other is able bodied. We found the family in dire poverty, their mother had died after troublesome childbirth. The father sold the dirt from their small plot to make bricks - the bricks they sold to pay for the funeral. The mudbrick shanty they were living in had fallen down around them.

Nyoman was 5 years old then, and crawling on all fours as his only means of getting about. Naked, disabled, hungry and without shelter. Alarming conditions.

Nanna lived with them, and she was close to 70 yrs old - topless and toothless.. the most beautiful face you have ever seen... (email me for a picture) speaks only Balinese, so I could never talk to her, Dad works all day as a labourer - when he can - leaving Nyoman pretty much to fend for himself.. Made was already at school.

Together with some generous friends from around the world, we built the family a new house - a small modest 2 rooms, bathroom, kitchen. My folks had crutches made for Nyoman in OZ and they came over to hand them to him.. We have since bought him a chair.

Sadly the local school wouldn't take Nyoman - even after paying off the principle - it lasted a week. Finally, after 2 years - we were able to get him to attend the YPAC (Disabled kids) school in Jimbaran and he's been there ever since.

We pick him up every weekend and take him back to the village - and back again on Monday morning.

Nyoman and Made are now 13. Nyoman is now top of his class - is fat and healthy and a strong proud young boy. We pay for both boys education, clothes, and they are a major part of our company and family life. His oldest brother - Wayan Jack is one of our best employees - he has been with us for 3 years. We bought Jack a motor bike three years ago and it is a major contributor to the family's mobility and independance.

I say buy the bike, bugger the psychology! Help werever you can - and to hell with the expense.

We are just about to complete a new basket ball court at the Panti Asuhan Salam (Orphanage) in Tabanan - with some generous support from clients overseas - the court, and all of the new underground drainage systems, new septic tanks etc has cost us Rp120 million (about US$13,000) and the looks on the kids faces is worth every Rp.

Opening party Friday 1st September - 17.00pm - after the kids get out of school. JOIN US !

If you need help to buy this kid a bike, we will be happy to assist. 2nd hand bikes will be between Rp7.500.000 to Rp8.500.000.

Keep up the great work.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
tintin
I was replying to Roses in a more or less general way, in that I knew less about the young fellow's situation than I do now (after she's posted a bit more info).
...and this young guy has a sister with cerebal palsy. His family is quite poor...
I have personally sponsored 16 Balinese (from various parts of the island) for up to ten years, or so.

One thing I've learnt to be a little wary of is the possibility of "charitable acts" creating jealousies within villages. Sometimes it may be more prudent to work out a way that the whole village benefits rather than certain individuals, no matter how deserving they may be. Wouldn't it be better if the village felt more empowered to deal with problems like this (albeit with outside "help"?). That way, everyone can share the problem(s) and feel more involved rather than feeling isolated and powerless. Poor people still have dignity.

desmond

...I say buy the bike, bugger the psychology! Help werever you can - and to hell with the expense...

I applaud your interventions, in principle. I was not trying to "psychologise" Roses' quandary in any shape or form. Going from what you've done so far, I can only surmise that you are reasonably wealthy. Not everybody is in a position to cough up thousands of dollars for projects like yours. And not everybody can simply say "to hell with the expense".

Your offer to help Roses acquire a motorbike for the young man is extremely generous. But, further to my comment above, what kind of message does this send to other Balinese, in similar or even worse circumstances? "My school is too far to walk to, my family is poor and my sister has a dreadful disease - I deserve to get something for free?" As sad as the situation is, I believe that's not the right message to convey.
8)

G

Hi Sanurian,

Thanks for the insights.

I believe that Roses has a relationship with this young boy and his family already and, perhpas like you, feels the need to support him. I can only say that our support to Nyoman, his family, and the other that we have assisted - is returned many times over - in the sheer joy of watching this little boy's life change dramatically for the better.

I am not a wealthy man, but I do give whatever and whenever I can. I do however have lots of friends and I am a persistent requester of help...

It is a major part of my company's philosophy tohelp the community. I am not religious either.. but I do remember Nanna's words... 'there but for the grace of God go I..' and I sure as hell would not have wanted to be Nyoman at the age of 5.

Roses, if you need any help - let me know. If you think the sister needs introduction to YPAC - happy to help on that score too.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi Desmond

...I believe that Roses has a relationship with this young boy and his family already and, perhpas like you, feels the need to support him. I can only say that our support to Nyoman, his family, and the other that we have assisted - is returned many times over - in the sheer joy of watching this little boy's life change dramatically for the better...

I understand what you're saying completely. And you remind me of myself when you say:

...I am not a wealthy man, but I do give whatever and whenever I can. I do however have lots of friends and I am a persistent requester of help...

That's brilliant and I sincerely wish you all the very best. If there were more people like you, a lot more positive outcomes will be possible here. I salute you. Please reflect upon my so-called "insights", however. I believe they should be considered carefully. For example, have you ever asked the Balinese about whether they think what you've done/been doing is "good"?

I did, many times, but not in the beginning. Early on, most Balinese told me I was a very good guy. Some years down the line I had the pleasure of meeting an older Balinese near Ubud who was sponsoring/looking after hundreds of Balinese children. Of course I felt humbled, but it wasn't a competition. Although I already knew it (I'd been to India several times before), he gave me the sugar and ants story. "Put the sugar on the ground, and many ants will come."

After that, I seemed to meet more Balinese who thought what I was doing (sponsoring individual children), was not a good thing. Some were even aggressive to me and questioned my intentions. Others gave me reports of the jealousies I'd inadvertently created in some villages and even between adjacent villages. That's when I realised what I was trying to do may not have been the "right" thing, after all.

Both compassion and charity are worthwhile, in my mind. But what about those who don't receive it? What happens/happened to them? That's where it's necessary to tread carefully, and slowly, despite what we feel in our western guts.
:)